PDA

View Full Version : Weapon properties that damage other wielders?

Augment Tab
2019-09-17, 09:40 AM
I'm looking for weapon enchantments or other modifications that can prevent other people but the weapon's owner from wielding it, and have some sort of backlash or damaging effect when someone else picks it up. All I know of for sure is Holy and Unholy from the core stuff. Is there anything else similar?

legomaster00156
2019-09-17, 09:44 AM
There is the option of adding a restriction to the weapon while it is being created, such that its magic only works for certain characters. An example is the Holy Avenger, whose true power is realized only in the hands of a Paladin or someone with a sufficiently high UMD check.

Malphegor
2019-09-17, 10:11 AM
One cheeky way to do it is to hire a Runecaster. Divine caster prc, basically they can scribble little symbols on things that release a spell on whoever touches or otherwise manipulates (even sight) the object the rune is on. Might be rare in your setting, though magic users who inscribe magic into letters probably exist, I mean, that's basically a good 20% of magic spells in a sentence right there

Little permament rune of phantasmal killer on the object should do the trick, just don't touch the rune and you've got the best magic item DRM that gold can buy.

daremetoidareyo
2019-09-17, 10:14 AM
I forget the book, but there are rules for trapped weapons somewhere

Particle_Man
2019-09-17, 10:21 AM
Axiomatic and Anarchic too! :smallsmile:

But I would go with an Intelligent Weapon with a high Ego. The weapon doesn't like others than its favourite person (currently) using it and is not afraid to say so (and have Ego battles with any other user trying to use it, or with its favourite user trying to stop using it).

Dimers
2019-09-17, 02:30 PM
Four templates in the DMG2 have the same alignment-based effect as Holy etc. -- I think they're called Pitspawned, Hellforged, Soulforged and Gloryborn. Magebane weapons have that effect on SLA users and arcane casters, and IIRC psibane does against psionic creatures. EDIT: An evil creature would not enjoy picking up a Soulforged Gloryborn Holy weapon :smallcool: (Not actually sure if the templates can be combined with each other, AFB, but they should stack fine with the enchantment.)

Complete Scoundrel has a non-damaging alarm system item. Shrunken Shrieker, something like that.

Lorddenorstrus
2019-09-17, 03:13 PM
There is the option of adding a restriction to the weapon while it is being created, such that its magic only works for certain characters. An example is the Holy Avenger, whose true power is realized only in the hands of a Paladin or someone with a sufficiently high UMD check.

To boot adding restrictions like this during the items creation usually make the item cheaper... It's a reminder of how poorly designed crafting is.

ZamielVanWeber
2019-09-18, 08:48 AM
I think it is called Master-Slaying from BoVD. At a command word the weapon attacks it's wielder. Combine with flesh grinding for maximum fun.

Clementx
2019-09-18, 08:33 PM
Sacred and Profane (Libris Mortis? and MIC) damage anyone who holds it that is undead/living respectively.

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-09-19, 12:32 AM
Vicious, from the DMG, fits this category. If you want to use a vicious weapon without issue while leaving it as a trap for anyone else, just get a few points of hardness. A warforged with a few points of enhancement bonus on your body armor could work, as could a monk with a few points of enhancement bonus on your unarmed strike. Feel free to cast hardening and manifest matter manipulation on yourself, too.