PDA

View Full Version : Tempest Cleric 2 + dragon sorcerer or evocation wizard, which is better blaster?

Spacehamster
2019-09-17, 03:59 PM
So as title, which one would make a better blaster and in general which is best overall?

Blood of Gaea
2019-09-17, 04:05 PM
If you're looking purely for blasting potential, it's very hard to beat Sculpt Spells. Unless there is a metamagic you really want, I would go with Evocation.

Damon_Tor
2019-09-17, 04:34 PM
If you're looking purely for blasting potential, it's very hard to beat Sculpt Spells. Unless there is a metamagic you really want, I would go with Evocation.

I think the greater benefit of the sorcerer in terms of blasting is being able to eat your low level slots and spit out higher level slots. Metamagic is often a waste of sorcery points when you consider the benefits of upcasting with those points instead.

Nhorianscum
2019-09-17, 05:11 PM
I think the greater benefit of the sorcerer in terms of blasting is being able to eat your low level slots and spit out higher level slots. Metamagic is often a waste of sorcery points when you consider the benefits of upcasting with those points instead.

Empower on a 5th level upcast is pretty good bang for your buck power wise. Quicken/Twin/Subtle come standard for a reason. As somone who heavily encourages upcast blasting on tier2 sorc I'll still say that metamagic has a huge role.

To answer the OP. Both are equivilant tier 1. Once we clear that Sorcleric is head and shoulders above Evo in terms of blasting power until *late* tier 3 (where wiz gets to have it's day). They're equivilant in tier 4 as both just deal arbitrary damage here.

With a cleric dip in play wizard loses most of its relevant utility edge. It's still better at OOCutility. Just not by enough to matter. We're really just here for sculpt spell. That said sculpt is *extremely* good.

For in combat utility we're functionally identical with metamagic shenanigans facing down spell list and frankly neither side is backing down. Single classed evoker is a full spell level ahead though so this takes the cake and runs with it at some point.

Both are stellar options. That said it's a choice of power or flexibility.

CTurbo
2019-09-17, 05:46 PM
I'm gonna say Tempest Cleric 18/Evoker 2 would be REALLY good too. Getting to Max thunder/lightning damage 3x per short rest while also getting Sculpt Spell is awesome.

Safety Sword
2019-09-18, 03:28 AM

This is probably the only advice you need to see.

Sculpt Spells basically makes every evocation area of effect spell hit more targets because you can drop it over your allies (but not yourself!).

Waazraath
2019-09-18, 03:38 AM
I'd say maximize is king here, so I'd go with Tempest 2 / Sor 18. 4x80 damage with Chain Lightning, yes please, and add a quickened empowered cantrip in addition to that for good measure.

For flavor I'd say Storm Sorcerer btw, since that 5 extra damage from Cha stat draconic offers really isn't making the difference anyway (and, with 2 levels of tempest and heavy armor, you can afford to stay close to the front line and use Storm's extra damage ability).

Bobthewizard
2019-09-18, 05:16 AM
What spells work well with a Tempest cleric and evoker? I'm trying to think of thunder/lightning spells that need sculpted. Thunderwave and shatter lose their usefulness mid-tier. Lightning bolt, storm sphere and chain lightning don't really need sculpted. Evokers are great, I just don't see the synergy here. Am I missing some spell that's great for this? (Serious question, not sarcasm).

So if not, I'd go draconic sorcerer for the extra damage, with empowered evocation for when you don't have destructive wrath. If you really want sculpt spells, you could consider Cleric 2/ Sorcerer 6/ Evocation 2/ Sorcerer X. You'd miss out on wish at the end but it would be a fun ride to get there.

Safety Sword
2019-09-18, 05:26 AM
What spells work well with a Tempest cleric and evoker? I'm trying to think of thunder/lightning spells that need sculpted. Thunderwave and shatter lose their usefulness mid-tier. Lightning bolt, storm sphere and chain lightning don't really need sculpted. Evokers are great, I just don't see the synergy here. Am I missing some spell that's great for this? (Serious question, not sarcasm).

So if not, I'd go draconic sorcerer for the extra damage, with empowered evocation for when you don't have destructive wrath. If you really want sculpt spells, you could consider Cleric 2/ Sorcerer 6/ Evocation 2/ Sorcerer X. You'd miss out on wish at the end but it would be a fun ride to get there.

That's a fair point. There aren't that many indiscriminate area lightning/thunder spells.

That doesn't mean you couldn't have those spells with your wizard levels to use though. If you're trying to stay to the thunder/lightning theme, maybe sorcerer with maximise has better synergy. You'll be better at single target damage but worse at killing groups.

Evocation wizard is the king of hitting groups of enemies and being able to avoid friendly fire though. The choice between wizard and sorcerer depends on whether you like to blast one thing or many things I guess.