PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Purple Dragon Knight Revised

SpawnOfMorbo
2019-09-17, 09:03 PM
These are not finished, I want to get the basic structures down and then tweak them. There is one more Dragon Knight to go, one that primarily uses heavy ranged weapons.

Version 2: Knights of the Round

Knighthood

Starting at 3rd level you have additional training which makes you particularly familiar with the complexitites of engagements that most warriors are not, social combat. You combine your armed combat and social combat comphrension in order to aid those around you in times of trouble.

When you make an Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma check while socializing and not in armed combat, you have advantage if you are using a skill that you’re proficient in.

You gain the protection fighting style. If you already have this fighting style you may move up to 10' as part of your reaction to protect a target of an attack. If you are wielding a Lavender Dragon Knight weapon, you may use that instead of a shiels when using protection style.

All melee weapons are Lavender Dragon Knight weapons.

Inspiring Wind

Starting at 3rd level whenever you are in armed combat and use your second wind feature, you and all allies that can see or hear you have advantage on an ability check of their choice within the next minute and may expend a hit die to regain hit points equal to that hit die.

Elite Socialite
Starting at 7th level you may choose two skills from the Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma skill list that you are proficient with. Your proficiency bonus is doubled for any ability check you make with your chosen skills.

Improved Inspiring Wind

Starting at 10th level whenever you use second wind, you and all allies that can see or hear you have advantage on an attack roll or saving throw of their choice in the next minute.

Additionally, any creature that gains this bonus may expend two hit die and regain that number of hit points.

Mettle

Starting at 15th level, you regain 1 use of Indomitable when you finish a short rest.

Bulwark
You have advantage on all saving throws.

Additionally, whenever you use Inspiring Wind, a creature other than youself may use a reaction to roll a saving throw with advantage provided to immediately end an ongoing effect.

Proper Etiquette

As a Crimson Dragon Knight you have been trained by your lord to serve as his sword and taught that your every action reflects their honor. You must be ablw to navigate the political battlefield as you would a field of enemies.

When you make an Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma check while socializing and not in armed combat, you have advantage if you are using a skill that you’re proficient in.

Additionally, you have been trained to be swift with your weapon for the protection of your lord. As a reaction to rolling initiative, you may draw out a Crimson Dragon Knight weapon.

Melee one handed and versitile weapons are considiered Crimson Dragon Knight weapons.
Skarlet

Swift Strike

At 3rd level you may cast the Expeditious Retreat spell as an action. A Crimson Dragon Knight weapons may be used as a focus when casting this spell. You glow with a red shade of light while this spell is active. This spell's duration is changed to "concentration, up to 8 hours". If you aren't wielding the focus you used to cast this spell, the spell ends at the start of your next turn.

Additionally, while this spell is active, you may use a bonus action to make a number of additional attacks equal to the number of attacks you normally have. Each of these attacks must be with a Crimson Dragon Knight weapon and deal 2d6 points of damage of the weapon type for each hit.

You must not be wielding a shield to use this feature and your fighting styles do not apply to the damage. If you are wielding two weapons, you may alternate which weapon is used for the swift strike, thus changing the damage type.

Elite Socialite

Starting at 7th level you may choose two skills from the Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma skill list that you are proficient with. Your proficiency bonus is doubled for any ability check you make with your chosen skills.

Improved Second Wind

At 10th level when you use second wind, you may expend a number of hit dice up to your proficiency bonus. You roll these hit dice and regain additional HP equal to the ammount rolled.

You must shout loudly to use this feature.

Mettle

Starting at 15th level, you regain 1 use of Indomitable when you finish a short rest.

Fearless

To protect, one must master their mind and let no doubt settle within them. Starting at 18th level are immune to the frightened condition and have advantage against being charmed.

Dragoon Initiate
As a Azure Dragoon Knight you are regularly dispatched to take on aerial foes (specifically, but not limited to, dragons) and have the authority of your lord to negotiate terms for any contracts.

Additionally, you do not need a running start when you jump and you don't provoke OA from creatures with flying speeds.

Jump
At 3rd level you may cast the Jump spell as an action. Azure Dragoon Knight weapons may be used as a focus when casting this spell. You glow with a blue shade of light while this jump spell is active. The duration for those spell is changed to "concentration, up to 8 hours". If you aren't wielding the focus you used to cast this spell, the spell ends at the start of your next turn.

You ignore double you Strength Score number of feet when determining falling damage.

While this spell is active you have advantage on athletics checks to jump and unusually large distance or pull off a stunt midjump.

Elite Socialite
Starting at 7th level you may choose two skills from the Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma skill list that you are proficient with. You proficiency bonus is doubled for any ability check you make with your chosen skills.

Greater Jump
At 10th level you may jump your horizontal distance, vertically, a number of times per short or long rest equal to your constitution modifier.

You are resistant to falling damage as long as you aren't incapacitated.

Mettle

Azure Thunderbolt

You are resistant to Lightning and Thunder damage.

Additionally, you are immune to being paralyzed

I'm going to change the fluff of the gray dragon knights to reflect that they started out as contractors who pulled dead bodies from flooded rivers, kinda like Tientsin Mystic.

Contract Training

In the lands of Tianjin, mass rains and flooding ravaged for ages. The Grey Dragon Knights made their start generations ago as part of the river salvage teams that would retrieve the dead from the water. As harsh as it may seem, no one does anything for free. Still today, the Grey Dragon Knights pull the dead from the raging waters but they also contract out a shadier style of work...

Grey Dragon Knights will not wear any heavy armor or armor made of metal. However, due to their rigorous training they may replace their Dexterity modifier with their Consitution modifier when wearing no armor, light armor, or medium armor.

Additionally, Grey Dragon Knights learn Theives Cant.

Light and finesse melee weapons and one handed ranged weapons are considered Grey Dragon Knight weapons.

Mystic Arts

You have learned to pull water from the elemental plane of water to create a fog cloud. You may cast fog cloud as an action. This spell's duratation is "concentration, up to 8 hours". If you no longer wield your Grey Dragon Knight weapon, your concentration for this spell ends at start of your next turn.

Additionally, as a bonus action, you may attempt a perception or investigation check to determine the location of a creature within your fog (DC = 10 if the target hasn't used the stealth action). Your next attack roll with Grey Dragon Knight weapon ignores sight limitations of your fog and has advantage on a success.

Elite Socialite

Demon of the Mist

Beginning at 10th level when you cast fog cloud, you can cause an enemy to feel a sense of dread. When you attempt to locate a creature, you send out a wave of killing intent, all creatures within your fog have their speed set to 0 until the start of your next turn. A successful Charisma save (DC = 10 + your int/wis/cha mod + your prof). Creatures immune to fear are immune to this effect.

Additionally, if you successfully locate a creature, the first 2 attacks you attempt with a Grey Dragon Knight weapon have advantage.

Mettle

Bloody Mist Assassin

You are immune to fear.

Additionally, when you use a bonus action and successfully locate a creature within your fog, all your attacks have advantage against the target.

Nomadic Negotiator

Ages ago, the Medjay lost their kingdom to a cataclysm from when the Elemental Chaos opened up to the material plane. Since this time, now know as the Amber Dragon Knights, have traversed the scorching dunes as nomadic warriors. While other knights have a place to call home, Amber Dragon Knights are nomadic and must be able to talk their way out of trouble if they happen upon a group that believes the Amber Dragon Knight is tresspassing.

Amber Dragon Knights will not wear any heavy armor or armor made of metal. However, due to their rigorous training they may replace their Dexterity modifier with their Consitution modifier when wearing no armor, light armor, or medium armor.

Melee one handed and non-heavy ranged weapons are considered Amber Dragon Knight weapons.

Mumifier
Starting at 3rd level, the Amber Dragon Knights gain proficiency with the mumification kit. Using a mumification kit (which contains a bottle of special salve and linen wrap) a proficient user may perform a ritual that takes 10 minutes per dead creature. A mumified creature counts as the material component for the purposes of any spell that raises the creature as an undead or back to life. Using this kit without proficiency is a DC 30 intelligence check.

Counter Charge

Expending more energy than required is deadly in the dunes. You have learned to allow your enemies to come to you and so that you may punish them.

Whenever a creature moves more than 10' and moves within 5' of you, you may use your reaction to take the shove action against that creature. The creature lands in any unoccupied free space that is within 5' of you. Once you attempt this on a creature, that creature has advantage against it again until the end of your next short or long rest.

You may replace Strength with Dexterity when using Athletics to shove a creature.

Elite Socialite

Setting Sun

Starting at 10th level, whenever you use counter charge on a creature, you may cause them to end in any unoccupied space within 10' of you.

Additionally, you may use counter charge on a creature twice before they gain advantage on the opposed shove check.

Mettle

Desert Wind

Starting at 18th level, you have learned to suffer through the harshest of environments. You ignore difficult terrain and due to needing to shield your eyes from the sand can fight without sight just as you would with it. You ignore the blind condition when attacking a creature or when being attacked.

Amrtaka: Immortals. Uses a bow and has some riding skills.

Military Discipline

Raised in a military since birth, you have learned to rub shoulders with the lowest of footmen to the highest brass.

Sabz Dragon Knights will not wear any heavy armor or armor made of metal. However, due to their rigorous training they may replace their Dexterity modifier with their Consitution modifier when wearing no armor, light armor, or medium armor.

Light melee weapons and ranged weapons are considered Sabz Dragon Knight weapons.

Medes Training
Your ancestors were trained by the warriors of Medes, a land lost to time, on the ways of mounted combat. This knowledge has been passed down to you.

Whenever you ride a mount with an Int of 3 or less, you may use a reaction to give it advantage on a saving throw. You smack it out of a stupor, pull the reigns to dodge a fireball, or yell at it to keep it alert.

Cover Fire

Starting at 3rd level, you have learned to use your allies as an advantage. You have learned the movements of enemies behind partial cover that you can pick off their weak points, much to the surprise of enemies.

Whenever you attack with a SDK weapon, you have advantage on the first attack against a creature with partial cover or at least one ally or enemy between you and the target.

Allies don't count as partial cover to targets.

Additionally, you ignore the heavy and loading qualities when wielding a ranged weapons.

Elite Socialite

10th level

Additionally, cover fire bestows advantage on the first two attacks against a creature.

Mettle

Lavender Dragon Squire

When you use second wind, you and all allies within 10' may expend a hit dice and regain that many hit points.

Choose Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma. You may use this feature a number of times per long rest equal to the modifier from the chosen ability score.

Additionally, Lavender Dragon Knight weapons count as a focus for any Knight of the Round feature.

Crimson Dragon Squire

Choose Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma. You may cast expiditious retreat on yourself a number of times per long rest equal to the modifier from the chosen ability score.

Additionally, Crimson Dragon Knight weapons count as a focus for any Knight of the Round feature.

Azure Dragon Squire

Choose Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma. You may cast Jump on yourself a number of times per long rest equal to the modifier from the chosen ability score.

Additionally, Azure Dragoon Knight weapons count as a focus for any Knight of the Round feature.

Grey Dragon Squire

Choose Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma. You may cast For Cloud a number of times per long rest equal to the modifier from the chosen ability score.

Additionally, Grey Dragon Knight weapons count as a focus for any Knight of the Round feature.

Amber Dragon Squire

You may use counter charge a number of times per long rest equal to your constitution modifier.

Additionally, Amber Dragon Knight weapons count as a focus for any Knight of the Round feature.

The Round is what people call their planet/plane of existence.

The round is a world that sits on the cusp of the Elemental Chaos. From time to time the Elemental chaos collided with other realms and pieces of those worlds fell into the chaotic sea. Due to different nature, and a bit of luck, those pieces formed their own plane.

Each nation is such a stark contrast due to being pulled from different times and planes.

I'll change the name once I stop poking around Final Fantasy references.

https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/rJXfClkPr

Alternative Link: https://i.imgur.com/uDq5TGg.png

I like the idea of a Purple Dragon Knight, I even liked WotC's when it came out... But it's bad, so bad...

So I made this.

Key Notes

Based everything about Second Wind to keep things simple.

The fighter needs out of combat support, badly, the skill bonuses and stuff do this.

Made Bulwark awesome and actually useful for the fighter and allies and worth a high level feature.

I may need to have a note on what is armed combat and what is not, but really this shouldn't be a hard concept.

These sub-classes are not designed to specifically boost damage, yes a lot of them are for the fighter, but these are more about expanding what they can do and giving some additional options so the damage output should be lower than normal for a fighter.

Yes... Cornelia, Rayjack, Rabenastre, and Steiner all are Square/Sqaure Enix references.

Added two more knights for the heck of it. Crimson Dragon Knights are Samurais and Azure Dragoon Knights are Dragoons. Threw some stuff together somewhat fast while watching Mario Maker 2 streams.

Bonus to damage at level 10 for two of them need to be fixed, mostly just a placeholder at this point.

Lavender: Purple Dragon Knight

Crimson: Samurai + Rogue Sneak Attack

Azure: Final Fantasy Dragoons.

Grey: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tientsin_Mystic, Naruto (Zabuza), and Lin Kuei (Mortal Kombat).

Amber: What little I know about Egyptian culture.

Unnamed: What little I know about Persian culture.

KnightOfLain
2019-09-18, 12:17 AM
It may just be me but when I click the link I get a blank page. Not sure why it's doing that.

SpawnOfMorbo
2019-09-18, 01:06 AM
It may just be me but when I click the link I get a blank page. Not sure why it's doing that.

Are you using Chrome?

It works best in Chrome. I'm going to add an imgur link to it.

Blackbando
2019-09-18, 07:53 AM
I'm able to see them, at least! Let me give you my thoughts on them;
First and foremost, before I get into it, none of the subclasses have 15th level features. Fighters get features at 3rd, 7th, 10th, 15th, and 18th levels. PDK in SCAG has a typo where it says "17th" instead of "18th" but that's just that - a typo.

Anyways, now to break down the actual subclasses!

Purple Dragon Knight
In regards to the "Warlord?" thing, you could use their official non-SCAG name; Banneret. It's listed in their flavor text in SCAG.

Knighthood
5e doesn't really define "non-combat encounter" as something that exists. Also, this feature is extremely powerful; advantage is roughly equivalent to a +5 bonus, so it's actually better than expertise for most of a campaign.
The other feature is also... strange. "Armed combat" is still not an actual 5e term, and it should simply work outside of that - however, I also wonder if this feature is even worth thinking about in most cases? It helps with grappling, and... that's about it. It's also only once per short rest, and once it's used, even though it's a minor benefit, your subclass doesn't really do anything for you in-combat after that point - not exactly making this a very compelling choice!
If you want to go more Warlord-esque, why not do something akin to paladin auras, but you need to manually activate them? Maybe you hold concentration on them? Just spitballing a bit here, but I think that'd give it a cool niche, while also making it far more interesting at 3rd level compared to something only 1/rest.

Elite Socialite
I think this is fine - though, I feel that it'd make more sense to actually specify the specific skills. How does Medicine or Nature assist you in being a "socialite"? Insight and Investigation I could see making sense, but otherwise, Charisma seems to fit the bill the most.

Inspiring Surge
You don't use Action Surge for this feature, but yet the name still uses "Surge"? Very odd. I would actually suggest perhaps keeping this closer to its original version, but rather than only affecting one creature (two at 18th), it just affects a number equal to your Charisma modifier (to a minimum of one). Action Surge was also nice, because you would get a second usage of it per rest eventually, while Second Wind remains as only one.

Bulwark
I'm assuming this is at 18th, since none of the other subclasses mention 15th. It's alright, although it's not particularly interesting - especially because Indomitable means that you already are great at saving throws. If you go with my "aura" idea, perhaps it might be interesting if you could have multiple auras active at once? Probably just two, but maybe a larger number if they're not too powerful.

Crimson Dragon Knight
Does this replace Samurai from Xanathar's? Or is that just a coincidence?

Proper Training
The skills point from PDK still stands. It's weird to me to restrict their weapons to very specific melee weapons, rather than just all melee - why is a greatsword (which would be equivalent to two-handed swords samurai actually used - Nodachi, I think they're called?) somehow not samurai-y?

Swift Strike
Not terrible, although I personally find that the Xanathar's Samurai handles this concept a bit more interestingly; it gives a more impactful feature of advantage on all attacks for that turn, while it later can replace advantage on one attack with a second attack. If you still like this feature, then I think that it might be fine, balance-wise? Though, I don't think it also needs Dash as a bonus action; it's very powerful to "dual wield" with only one weapon.

Elite Socialite
Same as before.

Advanced Techniques
This is definitely getting a bit concerning. When you first gain this, this essentially doubles your Attack action - though you don't add your ability modifier to one attack, admittedly.
Balance-wise, I think it might be fine, if you look at its competition; Battle Master with its maneuvers and extra damage is scary, and then you have the Cavalier from Xanathar's with some free attacks and great tanking. Mainly, I'm wondering if this feature's actually interesting to use? This subclass focuses very heavily on essentially doing what the Great Weapon Master feat can do (but without criticals), or the Polearm Master feat; the base version especially has to compete with PAM, because 1d4+Strength is likely to be better than just a flat 2d6 or 1d8.
Not saying this mechanic is bad, but I am suggesting that perhaps you should look at something else for this feature? Maybe at 3rd, you can get the ability modifier if you have the Two-Weapon Fighting style, and then this 10th level feature is something else thematic? Perhaps something with riposting?

Fearless
This is fine, albeit boring for a "Capstone" of the subclass. Would probably be fine if you moved it to 15th.

Azure Dragon Knight
I approve of any form of FF Dragoons in D&D.

Dragoon Initiate
Same as above for the skills.
The secondary part of the feature... well, I do wonder why it is that the weapons are restricted? Even if you're trying to be thematic, Dragoons used spears and lances primarily - the way you're doing it allows mauls and greatswords, which aren't exactly what they're known for. But, honestly, I actually think restricting it isn't a great idea; it just stifles new character concepts, and helps each character of this subclass feel just a bit more similar than needed.
And as for the flying speed, I think it'd make more sense if you only had this advantage while they are flying. Why are you better at hitting an angel that's standing on the ground, with its wings tucked to its sides?

Jump
Should probably have a different name, like "Flying Jump" or something - just so you don't confuse it with the spell. Anyways, I think it'd actually be more interesting if you just permanently had doubled jumping distance, rather than needing to mess with a spell for it.
One issue I actually see with the subclass, now, is that this doesn't really.. do much for you? Dragoons are known for jumping, so you'd assume that their attacks are better when they jump - but in this case, there's actually no benefit to jumping besides "I can reach flying enemies" and "I can get on walls and stuff".
Lastly, I wonder if the horizontal-vertical jumping thing should even be limited? As it is, you're still taking high falling damage from jumping super high, and there's no real benefit to it. Perhaps if you change it so jumping in combat is actually beneficial, then a limit makes more sense.

Elite Socialite
Same as always.

Greater Jump
Using proficiency bonus for number of uses is strange. I suggest making it based on an ability modifier - or, hell, at this level, you could probably be fine with it just being limitless.
The second paragraph isn't finished. It just ends off as "Additionally, whenever you attack a creature after jumping you"

Azure Resistance
This is a capstone that is pretty boring and would make more sense at 3rd level than 18th.

I hope that my critique helps you! I really like seeing Final Fantasy things in D&D, so I am eager to see how you go about fixing things going forward!

SpawnOfMorbo
2019-09-18, 08:12 AM
Heading to bed but I just want to point out...

Indomotable is the worst defensive ability in the game. It doesn't make you better in the slightest, it's only going to be useful when you fail a save you're most likely ggoing to pass anyways (edited for clarity, totally sleep issues).

The saving throw system sucks in 5e and indomitable looks good at first, but in actual play over the years I've never once seen it work out in favor of the player on a non-proficient save.

Also, yeah, totally forgot about 15th level. My groups play to level 10 and then go into "epic levels" if we play above 10. High level 5e is a bore.

Blackbando
2019-09-18, 09:33 AM
Heading to bed but I just want to point out...

Indomotable is the worst defensive ability in the game. It doesn't make you better in the slightest, it's only going to be useful when you fail a save you're most likely ggoing to pass anyways (edited for clarity, totally sleep issues).

The saving throw system sucks in 5e and indomitable looks good at first, but in actual play over the years I've never once seen it work out in favor of the player on a non-proficient save.

Also, yeah, totally forgot about 15th level. My groups play to level 10 and then go into "epic levels" if we play above 10. High level 5e is a bore.

While Indomitable might not be that amazing, it still seems a bit redundant to give something that is basically doing the same thing, to some degree. If you're fine with that, that's cool, though.

SpawnOfMorbo
2019-09-18, 04:49 PM
While Indomitable might not be that amazing, it still seems a bit redundant to give something that is basically doing the same thing, to some degree. If you're fine with that, that's cool, though.

It suppliments and makes indomitable useful. Redundant would be giving reroll on a failed save features... This does not do that, this makes indomitable a worthwhile feature.

It's sad that the base class needs its subclass to do a lot in order to fill in so many gaps.

Yakk
2019-09-18, 06:13 PM
Here is my take, inspired by your version.

PURPLE DRAGON KNIGHT

Lead from the Front

Starting at 3rd level when you use your Second Wind, you and all allies who can see or hear you have advantage on all ability checks, saving throws and attack rolls until the start of your next turn.

Elite Socialite

Starting at 7th level, pick two skills you have proficiency in from the Intelligence, Charisma or Wisdom skill lists. When you add your proficiency with these skills, you instead add twice your proficiency bonus.

In addition, when you fail an Intelligence, Wisdom or Charisma check and are not in combat, you may choose to reroll it once. After such a reroll succeeds, you may not take this reroll again until you take a short or long rest.

Inspiring Surge

Starting at 10th level, you may use second wind twice between long or short rests.

Bulwark

Starting at 17th level you are considered proficient in all saving throws. If you where already proficient in a saving throw, you now add twice your bonus to it instead.

Additionally, whenever you use your second wind, you may choose a creature other than yourself that you can see or hear you. That creature makes a saving throw against an ongoing spell or effect they failed a save on since the start of your last turn. If this save succeeds, the spell or effect ends.

CRIMSON DRAGON KNIGHT

Swift Strike

Starting at 3rd level, when you attack with a weapon in one hand and your other hand is not holding a shield or a weapon, you may make an additional attack as a bonus action. If you do, you don't add your attribute to your damage.

At 10th level you may instead make 2 attacks as part of the bonus action.

If hit by a melee attack by less than 2 points while a hand is free, you may as a reaction make an attack against the foe, resolving before the attack. If this reaction attack hits, the triggering attack misses.

In addition, you may always draw a weapon as part of an attack with it.

Elite Socialite

Starting at 7th level, pick two skills you have proficiency in from the Intelligence, Charisma or Wisdom skill lists. When you add your proficiency with these skills, you instead add twice your proficiency bonus.

In addition, when you fail an Intelligence, Wisdom or Charisma check and are not in combat, you may choose to reroll it once. After such a reroll succeeds, you may not take this reroll again until you take a short or long rest.

Fearless Exemplar

Starting at 10th level you are immune to being charmed or frightened. Allies who can see or hear you gain advantage on saving throws against being charmed or frightened.

Finishing Cut

Starting at 17th level, once on your turn may choose to make an attack a critical hit. You must choose to do this before you roll to hit. If you do so, you grant advantage to all attacks until the start of your next turn.

AZURE DRAGON KNIGHT

Dragoon Charge

You are considered to be under the effects of the Jump spell at all times. When you jump at least 15 feet, you gain advantage on the first attack on every enemy adjacent to you when you land on that turn.

Elite Socialite

Death from Above

Starting at 10th level, you may increase the vertical height of your jump by 30'. You may do this up to your constitution bonus number of times before taking a short or long rest. If you land adjacent to a foe, your first hit on the foe that turn deals an extra 10 damage.

Azure Resistance

Starting at 17th level, you have advantage on saving throws against all spells and effects that change your location, reduce your movement speed, or take away your actions; this doesn't include spells that would simply kill you or knock you out due to damage or other effects (like power word kill). In addition, while you are jumping, you have resistance to all damage.

SpawnOfMorbo
2019-09-19, 01:33 AM
Here is my take, inspired by your version.

I like some of the stuff but there's no reason to limit the skills so much. The fighter is severely lacking in out of combat utility and giving them expertise at level 7 isn't unbalanced. There's really no reason Elite Socialite should be a short/long rest mechanic other than screwing over the fighter.

Yakk
2019-09-19, 09:42 AM
Um, they get 2 expertise *and* a per-rest reroll on failure.

I should probably make the reroll be a "you only get 1 extra success" instead of "you only get 1 extra reroll". 1 reroll penalizes people who reroll on hail mary's too much (as demonstrated by indomidable).

Updated, both with "you get 1 rerolled success" and made it clear the expertise wasn't 1/rest.

I am thinking about Swift Strike, and the lack of -5/+10 options for 1 handed weapons.

What if it was:

Swift Strikes

Whenever you make a melee weapon attack with at least one hand not holding a weapon or shield, you may make two attacks at -5 instead. You cannot use this ability on the attacks granted by this ability.

On the first-order, this is about as good as -5/+10 abilities, but it scales better, so probably too strong.

Swift Strikes

When you make a melee weapon attack with advantage with at least one hand not holding a weapon or shield, you may make two attacks without advantage instead. If you move at least 15' closer to a creature and end up adjacent to them, you gain advantage on your first attack on the creature.

Also probably too good, but I like the flavour.

SpawnOfMorbo
2019-09-20, 02:15 AM
Um, they get 2 expertise *and* a per-rest reroll on failure.

I should probably make the reroll be a "you only get 1 extra success" instead of "you only get 1 extra reroll". 1 reroll penalizes people who reroll on hail mary's too much (as demonstrated by indomidable).

Updated, both with "you get 1 rerolled success" and made it clear the expertise wasn't 1/rest.

I am thinking about Swift Strike, and the lack of -5/+10 options for 1 handed weapons.

What if it was:

On the first-order, this is about as good as -5/+10 abilities, but it scales better, so probably too strong.

Also probably too good, but I like the flavour.

I made the original knights on very little sleep and during my work week I don't get a whole lot of "me" time (80 hour work weeks will do that to someone).

But been looking it over and I def want to make things more modular and work on things.

I'm thinking Azure and Crimson Knights will both gain a spell and an ability when the spell is active.

I think I'm going to give all Knights a "mettle" ability at level 15. This would allow indomitable to refresh on a short rest OR give back one use of indomitable after a short rest. Yeah, this sort of feature is a capstone for sorcerers, and sucks, but as a non-capstone it's pretty awesome for something like indomitable.

Level 18 will probably give each a couple immunities. Fearless is a given for a samurai/protector as you can't be afraid to lay down your life for your lord or allies. Indomitable/mettle will still be useful things a knight isn't immune to.

I do want to keep each of these rather simple as that's a key selling point for fighters.

Early levels: main gimmick + scaling stuff.

Mid levels: social/out of combat

Late levels: shore up defenses

~~~~

Something like this...

Proper Training

As a Red Dragon Knight you have been trained by your lord to serve as his sword and taught that your every action reflects their honor.

When you make an Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma check during a non-combat encounter, you have advantage if you are using a skill you're proficient in.

Additionally, you have been trained to be swift with your weapon for the protection of your lord. As a reaction to rolling initiative, you may draw out a Crimson Dragon Knight weapon.

Melee one handed and versitile weapons are considiered Crimson Dragon Knight weapons.

Swift Strike

At 3rd level you may cast the Expeditious Retreat spell as an action. Crimson Dragon Knight weapons may be used as a focus when casting this spell. You glow with a red shade of light while this spell is active.

Additionally, while this spell is active, you may use a bonus action to make a number of additional attacks equal to the number of attacks you normally have. Each of these attacks must be with a Crimson Dragon Knight weapon and deals 2d6 points of damage of the weapon type on a hit.

You must not be wielding a shield to use this feature amd your fighting styles do not apply to the damage. If you are wielding two weapons, you may alternate which weapon is used for the swift strike, thus changing the damage type.

Elite Socialite

Improved Second Wind

At 10th level when you use second wind, you may expend a number of hit dice up to your proficiency bonus. You roll these hit dice and regain additional HP equal to the ammount rolled.

You must shout loudly to use this feature.

Mettle

Fearless

To protect, one must not be easily influenced by their fear. Starting at 18th level you become immune to the charmed and frightened conditions.

=====

I'll be adressing more people when I get a chance, went with yhe easiest thing to respond to (as I was already thinking about it).

Yakk
2019-09-20, 12:46 PM
Why "cast as an action"? They all have durations, and are effectively "always up", no?

Making players say "I rebuff myself every minute" to the DM seems clunky.

You could say "You are always under the effect of $SPELL$, unless it is dispelled or otherwise disabled. When that happens, you must spend an action to regain it."

SpawnOfMorbo
2019-09-20, 05:00 PM
Why "cast as an action"? They all have durations, and are effectively "always up", no?

Making players say "I rebuff myself every minute" to the DM seems clunky.

You could say "You are always under the effect of $SPELL$, unless it is dispelled or otherwise disabled. When that happens, you must spend an action to regain it."

Concentration.

You can't be concentrating on other spells, say via multiclassing, if you have these up.

It's no different than how Clerics gain Resistance or the other "always up" cantrip, except the player will glow when its on so they won't have it on at all times... Say while sneaking.

I could see getting rid of the time limit, but keep the Concentration tag.

SpawnOfMorbo
2019-09-20, 08:54 PM
I'm able to see them, at least! Let me give you my thoughts on them;
First and foremost, before I get into it, none of the subclasses have 15th level features. Fighters get features at 3rd, 7th, 10th, 15th, and 18th levels. PDK in SCAG has a typo where it says "17th" instead of "18th" but that's just that - a typo.

Anyways, now to break down the actual subclasses!

Purple Dragon Knight
In regards to the "Warlord?" thing, you could use their official non-SCAG name; Banneret. It's listed in their flavor text in SCAG.

Knighthood
5e doesn't really define "non-combat encounter" as something that exists. Also, this feature is extremely powerful; advantage is roughly equivalent to a +5 bonus, so it's actually better than expertise for most of a campaign.
The other feature is also... strange. "Armed combat" is still not an actual 5e term, and it should simply work outside of that - however, I also wonder if this feature is even worth thinking about in most cases? It helps with grappling, and... that's about it. It's also only once per short rest, and once it's used, even though it's a minor benefit, your subclass doesn't really do anything for you in-combat after that point - not exactly making this a very compelling choice!
If you want to go more Warlord-esque, why not do something akin to paladin auras, but you need to manually activate them? Maybe you hold concentration on them? Just spitballing a bit here, but I think that'd give it a cool niche, while also making it far more interesting at 3rd level compared to something only 1/rest.

Elite Socialite
I think this is fine - though, I feel that it'd make more sense to actually specify the specific skills. How does Medicine or Nature assist you in being a "socialite"? Insight and Investigation I could see making sense, but otherwise, Charisma seems to fit the bill the most.

Inspiring Surge
You don't use Action Surge for this feature, but yet the name still uses "Surge"? Very odd. I would actually suggest perhaps keeping this closer to its original version, but rather than only affecting one creature (two at 18th), it just affects a number equal to your Charisma modifier (to a minimum of one). Action Surge was also nice, because you would get a second usage of it per rest eventually, while Second Wind remains as only one.

Bulwark
I'm assuming this is at 18th, since none of the other subclasses mention 15th. It's alright, although it's not particularly interesting - especially because Indomitable means that you already are great at saving throws. If you go with my "aura" idea, perhaps it might be interesting if you could have multiple auras active at once? Probably just two, but maybe a larger number if they're not too powerful.

Crimson Dragon Knight
Does this replace Samurai from Xanathar's? Or is that just a coincidence?

Proper Training
The skills point from PDK still stands. It's weird to me to restrict their weapons to very specific melee weapons, rather than just all melee - why is a greatsword (which would be equivalent to two-handed swords samurai actually used - Nodachi, I think they're called?) somehow not samurai-y?

Swift Strike
Not terrible, although I personally find that the Xanathar's Samurai handles this concept a bit more interestingly; it gives a more impactful feature of advantage on all attacks for that turn, while it later can replace advantage on one attack with a second attack. If you still like this feature, then I think that it might be fine, balance-wise? Though, I don't think it also needs Dash as a bonus action; it's very powerful to "dual wield" with only one weapon.

Elite Socialite
Same as before.

Advanced Techniques
This is definitely getting a bit concerning. When you first gain this, this essentially doubles your Attack action - though you don't add your ability modifier to one attack, admittedly.
Balance-wise, I think it might be fine, if you look at its competition; Battle Master with its maneuvers and extra damage is scary, and then you have the Cavalier from Xanathar's with some free attacks and great tanking. Mainly, I'm wondering if this feature's actually interesting to use? This subclass focuses very heavily on essentially doing what the Great Weapon Master feat can do (but without criticals), or the Polearm Master feat; the base version especially has to compete with PAM, because 1d4+Strength is likely to be better than just a flat 2d6 or 1d8.
Not saying this mechanic is bad, but I am suggesting that perhaps you should look at something else for this feature? Maybe at 3rd, you can get the ability modifier if you have the Two-Weapon Fighting style, and then this 10th level feature is something else thematic? Perhaps something with riposting?

Fearless
This is fine, albeit boring for a "Capstone" of the subclass. Would probably be fine if you moved it to 15th.

Azure Dragon Knight
I approve of any form of FF Dragoons in D&D.

Dragoon Initiate
Same as above for the skills.
The secondary part of the feature... well, I do wonder why it is that the weapons are restricted? Even if you're trying to be thematic, Dragoons used spears and lances primarily - the way you're doing it allows mauls and greatswords, which aren't exactly what they're known for. But, honestly, I actually think restricting it isn't a great idea; it just stifles new character concepts, and helps each character of this subclass feel just a bit more similar than needed.
And as for the flying speed, I think it'd make more sense if you only had this advantage while they are flying. Why are you better at hitting an angel that's standing on the ground, with its wings tucked to its sides?

Jump
Should probably have a different name, like "Flying Jump" or something - just so you don't confuse it with the spell. Anyways, I think it'd actually be more interesting if you just permanently had doubled jumping distance, rather than needing to mess with a spell for it.
One issue I actually see with the subclass, now, is that this doesn't really.. do much for you? Dragoons are known for jumping, so you'd assume that their attacks are better when they jump - but in this case, there's actually no benefit to jumping besides "I can reach flying enemies" and "I can get on walls and stuff".
Lastly, I wonder if the horizontal-vertical jumping thing should even be limited? As it is, you're still taking high falling damage from jumping super high, and there's no real benefit to it. Perhaps if you change it so jumping in combat is actually beneficial, then a limit makes more sense.

Elite Socialite
Same as always.

Greater Jump
Using proficiency bonus for number of uses is strange. I suggest making it based on an ability modifier - or, hell, at this level, you could probably be fine with it just being limitless.
The second paragraph isn't finished. It just ends off as "Additionally, whenever you attack a creature after jumping you"

Azure Resistance
This is a capstone that is pretty boring and would make more sense at 3rd level than 18th.

I hope that my critique helps you! I really like seeing Final Fantasy things in D&D, so I am eager to see how you go about fixing things going forward!

Advantage is a +3 on a roll, not +5.

Also, the 3rd level abilities to give advantage to social skills is based off the ranger's natural explorer, which is a first level ribbon feature that gives advantage to any Int or Wis check as long as it's their favored enemy. Natural Explorerer is pretty bad because of the limitations and i've seen it opened up to just be advantage and it not only works rather well, players actively want to use their feature.

5e is a very "common sense" system, they even said that's a core tenant of the game design. So when I say "not in combat/armed conbat", a DM can know it's not for combat but for social situations where etiquette is required. I need to reword it to fit in a social setting better, perhaps something like "when socializing and not in armed combat" this way it doesn't work for exploration as this is not what the feature is about.

I don't want to specific on the skills. The fighter doesn't get a lot of skills and this way people can be flexible with their builds. An elven samurai and dwarven samurai would have vastly different social skill needs. While a dwarven samurai may need to be trained in insight and persuasion, a tiefling may need insight and deception.

I remade the three classes so far but will be changing up some wording soon.

Sariel Vailo
2019-09-21, 09:39 AM
I'm happy someone is making a revised if not altogether better version of the pdk,Thanks to you all.

Yakk
2019-09-25, 05:40 PM
Concentration.
Jump is a spell that does not require concentration.

SpawnOfMorbo
2019-09-25, 08:02 PM
Jump is a spell that does not require concentration.

Aware, it also doesn't last 8 hours when cast by a spellcaster but for the Azure Knight it works like...

The duration for this spell is changed to "concentration, up to 8 hours". If you aren't wielding the focus you used to cast this spell, the spell ends at the start of your next turn."

(Changed those to this for grammar... Need to change the wording for the focus from wielding to holding).