PDA

View Full Version : Wizard MD and MD MC - last but not least

ZorroGames
2019-09-18, 11:44 AM
Okay, leaving aside my Forest Gnome (FGno) Wizard Build, my current “upcasting like crazy” FGno Wizard 3/Tempest Cleric 2, and My Wizard X/Dex Fighter 2 FGno Build we come to Mountain Dwarf Wizards... TaDa!

So besides my level 7 going on 8 MD War Wizard which to me is exactly what I would expect from a MD single class Wizard, I have another build inspired by PeteNutButter’s Ultimate Optimizers Multiclassing Guide:

Fighter1 - Wizard 5 (Abjurer) - Fighter 2 - Wizard 18.

So here is the starting stats (Build points)

ST 16 (7+2) Come on, it is a Mountain Dwarf! You expect less? Heavy Armor, Go!

DE 10 (2) at least it is not 8

CO 16 (7+2) Glass cannon? More like tin than glass

IN 15 (9) looking for that IN feat at Wizard 4

WI 10 (2) could be better but it is what it is... Class Saving Throw Proficiency

CH 8 (0) go away kid, you bother me. I mean something had to give! Do not expect an entertainer background, okay?

ASI +2 IN at Wizard 8 and 12. Level 16 ASI/Feat TBD.

There, done. All my MD and MD MC builds done.

Feedback on my MD Wizard builds may begin.

bid
2019-09-18, 06:13 PM
ST 16 (7+2) Come on, it is a Mountain Dwarf! You expect less? Heavy Armor, Go!
You're a dwarf, you don't need no stinkin' Str to wear heavy armor.

You're still limited by MC requirements, but you could Str14 / Wis13.

ZorroGames
2019-09-18, 08:31 PM
You're a dwarf, you don't need no stinkin' Str to wear heavy armor.

You're still limited by MC requirements, but you could Str14 / Wis13.

True. Drop ST to 13 (3+2) and adjust Wisdom?

bid
2019-09-18, 11:34 PM
True. Drop ST to 13 (3+2) and adjust Wisdom?
I don't think you can get anything from an odd Str.

Str14 Dex10 Con16 Int14 Wis14 Cha8 is doable if you don't have a half-feat planned.
Otherwise, Str12 / Int15 is a possibility.
- level 12 = Int14->16->18->20
- level 12 = Int15->17->19->20 + Wis14->15, with resilient(Wis) at 16

BarneyBent
2019-09-18, 11:43 PM
I don't think you can get anything from an odd Str.

Str14 Dex10 Con16 Int14 Wis14 Cha8 is doable if you don't have a half-feat planned.
Otherwise, Str12 / Int15 is a possibility.
- level 12 = Int14->16->18->20
- level 12 = Int15->17->19->20 + Wis14->15, with resilient(Wis) at 16

You need 13 STR to multiclass.

bid
2019-09-19, 09:21 AM
You need 13 STR to multiclass.
Brainfart!

Ok, you almost have to start with even stats

ZorroGames
2019-09-19, 10:59 AM
Brainfart!

Ok, you almost have to start with even stats

Why? I want the heavy armor for the Wiz MC with Fighter. I can get Medium Armor without MC from Mountain Dwarf. I have no intent to engage in melee unless forced.

Teaguethebean
2019-09-19, 11:12 AM
If you multiclass fighter it makes the mountain dwarf's bonuses kind of fall flat.

Wildarm
2019-09-19, 03:08 PM
Why don't you just dump strength completely? Shoring up your dex saves and initiative is a much better build choice(IMO). Fighter MC can be done with Dex just as easily and it makes no difference to melee and helps your ranged attacks at Level 1-4 where a heavy crossbow is better than firebolt.

Str 10, Dex 14, Con 16, Int 15, Wis 12, Cha 8

ZorroGames
2019-09-19, 05:38 PM
If you multiclass fighter it makes the mountain dwarf's bonuses kind of fall flat.

My preference for RP

ZorroGames
2019-09-19, 05:39 PM
Why don't you just dump strength completely? Shoring up your dex saves and initiative is a much better build choice(IMO). Fighter MC can be done with Dex just as easily and it makes no difference to melee and helps your ranged attacks at Level 1-4 where a heavy crossbow is better than firebolt.

Str 10, Dex 14, Con 16, Int 15, Wis 12, Cha 8

No thanks. Firebolt as good as HCB IMO and no running out of ammo.

Teaguethebean
2019-09-19, 06:05 PM
My preference for RP

that makes sense I suppose I am just very mechanically minded.

ZorroGames
2019-09-20, 03:55 AM
that makes sense I suppose I am just very mechanically minded.

Most on this forum are that way. I started with 0D&D and losing a character was extremely common in those days as was adventure theater. Anything below “name level” - essentially 9th to 11th - was considered quasi-expendable and Resurrection was very hard to obtain. Do not start me on the subject of RP when your male Dwarf (class back then) was reincarnated as a female Hobbit (also a class back then.)

Dork_Forge
2019-09-20, 04:20 AM

You would still benefit more from dumping Str and having a positive Dex, outside of heavy armor requirements (which you ignore) and using great weapons/polearms Str isn't going to come up much if you're not grappling. I'd put an 8 in Str (which would come out a 10 anyway) and just take Athletics prof.

Between Tactical Wit and a positive Dex you have a good chance of going high in initiative and getting off some combat changing spells before the enemy has a chance to attack.

Wildarm
2019-09-20, 07:12 AM

HCB does 1d10+2 damage vs firebolt 1d10. For a MD you have the same to hit modifier with both. The primary reason you'd want to stick with firebolt is that it doesn't require 2 hands. I've played a HCB wizard before though and the +2/3 to damage is meaningful in the early levels. I would not dismiss it. You switch to firebolt when you reach level 4/5 when your damage or to hit bonus increases.

ZorroGames
2019-09-20, 07:56 AM
You would still benefit more from dumping Str and having a positive Dex, outside of heavy armor requirements (which you ignore) and using great weapons/polearms Str isn't going to come up much if you're not grappling. I'd put an 8 in Str (which would come out a 10 anyway) and just take Athletics prof.

Between Tactical Wit and a positive Dex you have a good chance of going high in initiative and getting off some combat changing spells before the enemy has a chance to attack.

Chainmail requires a 13, what requirement are you talking about?

ZorroGames
2019-09-20, 07:58 AM
HCB does 1d10+2 damage vs firebolt 1d10. For a MD you have the same to hit modifier with both. The primary reason you'd want to stick with firebolt is that it doesn't require 2 hands. I've played a HCB wizard before though and the +2/3 to damage is meaningful in the early levels. I would not dismiss it. You switch to firebolt when you reach level 4/5 when your damage or to hit bonus increases.

You are mathematically correct but that is not this PC so no, just no.

ZorroGames
2019-09-20, 08:03 AM

Not going GWF or Polearm.

If you have seem my initiative rolls? In several years I have rolled above 10 only a small fraction of the time. The joke was no matter what Die I used always bet on me rolling a 1. Same Dice will roll high other times but not on initiative. My “gift” it seems. 🤯