PDA

View Full Version : ASI Common Sense: +2 to primary stat or +1 to 2x important stats

Cikomyr
2019-09-18, 05:27 PM
On Monday, we started a new game and i rolled pretty well. I had a 16, 2x 15.

Playing a Halfling Monk, I took the 16 for Dex(now 18), and put the 15s in Con and Wisdom.

I was wondering what would be the best use of my first ASI. Improving Con and Wisdom to 16, or boosting my Dex to 20?

UnintensifiedFa
2019-09-18, 05:34 PM
Normally, it’s always better to pump the primary stat. But the monk’s case is interesting, in this case you get +1 to attack and damage, or +4 hit points, and +1 to save dc. You get +1 ac in birth cases. It all depends on if you’re subclass and combat choices revolve more around damage dealing, or more around controlling the battlefield. I say, you can’t go wrong with either, but would be more inclined to pump dex over the others (with knowledge i’m just going to pump the others in 4 levels.)

Cikomyr
2019-09-18, 05:44 PM
Normally, it’s always better to pump the primary stat. But the monk’s case is interesting, in this case you get +1 to attack and damage, or +4 hit points, and +1 to save dc. You get +1 ac in birth cases. It all depends on if you’re subclass and combat choices revolve more around damage dealing, or more around controlling the battlefield. I say, you can’t go wrong with either, but would be more inclined to pump dex over the others (with knowledge i’m just going to pump the others in 4 levels.)

I am planning to be a Kensai with quarterstaff and multibarrel blowguns.

dragoeniex
2019-09-18, 06:22 PM
I'd go con and wisdom. A lot of characters go through games being unable to max their primary before level 8, and they handle well. You're starting with a punchy dex already.

Meanwhile, evening these two scores out will let you increase your health and DC for things like stunning strike. Meaning you can take a hit and then prove others can't!

Plan on doing whichever you don't choose at lv 8, and you'll be functionally immune to buyer's remorse. Both are solid.

Nidgit
2019-09-18, 07:06 PM
I'd also say Con and Wis. 18 is plenty for your primary attacking stat levels 4-8 and improving your Stunning Strike DC really ups your effectiveness.

Emongnome777
2019-09-18, 08:50 PM
Con and Wis for the reasons mentioned above plus getting a +1 to two good saves vs one good save.