PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Best/Most fun/Favourite exotic weapon?

Voidstar01
2019-09-18, 05:36 PM
I want to become a knight of the sacred seal, one of the requirements is weapon focus, I don't want focus on a simple weapon and it feels bad to take a feat for martial weapon proficiency when there's generally a better exotic weapon I could take for the same cost (longsword vs. Bastard sword for example). So I created this thread to ask you guys, I likely wont be putting any feats beyond weapon focus into the weapon so keep that in mind.

ViperMagnum357
2019-09-18, 05:54 PM
In for a penny, in for a pound (of Gold).

If you are going to take EWP and do not need a specific material, consider Kaorti Resin for that tasty x4 crit multiplier. Where you go from there largely depends on how many hands you have available; Spiked Chain and its one handed version, the Spinning Sword, are old standbys. The Khopesh from Sandstorm is the Exotic version of a Scimitar that can trip. If you are delving into Dragon Magazine, the Crescent Knife and original Scourge from DMG 275 are, mechanically, the best weapons in the game to build up flat bonuses with-and are also Kaorti Resin compatible.

heavyfuel
2019-09-18, 05:59 PM
Spiked Chain is bonkers to the point of it being a literal joke on just how cheesy it is. You don't get much stronger than a reach weapon that can also attack adjacent enemies. It's also finessable and both a trip and disarm weapon on top of it all.

For less cheesy options I'm a big fan of the Elven Courtblade for 1d10, finesse, 18-20 crit range.

However, much like in that threat about the best light weapon a few week ago, the answer will always be: It depends on what you want with your character.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2019-09-18, 06:44 PM
Greathorn Minotaur Greathammer, MMIV p101. It has a natural 19-20/x4 critical and gets a bonus to sunder attacks. Plus it can be made from a special material like deep crystal or adamantine.

Elves
2019-09-18, 06:56 PM
Rope dagger/meteor hammer for x3 reach and attack adj. Works with flurry and hence presumably also decisive strike.

ZamielVanWeber
2019-09-18, 08:00 PM
If you can spare the cost gold weapons are great and always need an EWP. They increase damage dice by a step. That can easily be 3.5-4 more damage with the right weapon.

Cygnia
2019-09-18, 08:03 PM
Lajatangs. Because they look cool in my opinion. :smallcool:

Anthrowhale
2019-09-19, 05:38 AM
Greathorn Minotaur Greathammer, MMIV p101. It has a natural 19-20/x4 critical and gets a bonus to sunder attacks. Plus it can be made from a special material like deep crystal or adamantine.

This one is pretty nice for sheer damage. Greathammer + Greater Mighty Wallop + Surge of Fortune + Sense Weakness is fun.

Zaq
2019-09-19, 09:13 AM
For practical reasons, spiked chain is it.

I do love the harpoon when combined with the mauling gauntlets in Magic of Incarnum. Gives some neat weird battlefield control.

Bone bows are nice for barbarian archers who don’t have the same STR score every round.

The Viscount
2019-09-20, 12:50 PM
Sand blaster from MMIII (under Sand Giant's description) is a unique ranged weapon with a neat effect, though it wouldn't use weapon focus since it doesn't have an attack roll.

Oriental Adventures has a bludgeoning version of the Spiked Chain called simply Chain, if that's more your speed. Only deals 1d6, but has all same important bonuses as spiked chain.

The Kusari-gama is another variant of the Spiked Chain with the option of slashing or bludgeoning damage, and can be used as a double weapon.

thorr-kan
2019-09-20, 05:16 PM
Sand blaster from MMIII (under Sand Giant's description) is a unique ranged weapon with a neat effect, though it wouldn't use weapon focus since it doesn't have an attack roll.

Oriental Adventures has a bludgeoning version of the Spiked Chain called simply Chain, if that's more your speed. Only deals 1d6, but has all same important bonuses as spiked chain.

The Kusari-gama is another variant of the Spiked Chain with the option of slashing or bludgeoning damage, and can be used as a double weapon.
There's a whole family of these.

thorr-kan
2019-09-20, 05:17 PM
Here's the family portrait:
3.0, the spiked chain
Weapon Cost Damage Crit Reach Weight Type Source Notes
Large
Chain, spiked 25gp 2d4 x2 10' 15# P PH Adjacent, reach, finesse, disarm, trip

3.0, the alternates
Medium-size
Chain-&-dagger 4gp 1d4 19-20/x2 - 4# P AEG Disarm, trip
Kawanaga 10gp 1d3/1d3 19-20/x2 1# S/B OA Adjacent, double, finesse, reach, disarm, trip
Large
Chain 5gp 1d6/1d6 x2 10' 5# B OA Adjacent, double, finesse, reach, disarm, trip
Chain lash 5gp 1d6/1d6 x2 10' 5# B SS Adjacent, double, finesse, reach, disarm, trip
Kusari-gama 10gp 1d4/1d6 x2 10' 3# B/S OA Adjacent, double, finesse, reach, disarm, trip

3.5, the spiked chain
Two-handed
Chain, spiked 25gp 2d4 x2 10' 15# P PH Adjacent, reach, finesse, disarm, trip

3.5, the alternates
Light
Kusari-gama 10gp 1d6 x2 10' 3# S DMG Adjacent, finesse, reach, disarm, trip
Two-handed
Dragonchain 50gp 1d6 19-20/x2 - 10# B RHOD Constrict, disarm, trip
Drow scorp. ch. 25gp 1d6 19-20/x2 10' 3# S SoX Adjacent, finesse, reach, disarm, trip

Thurbane
2019-09-20, 05:46 PM
One my favourite options for a KotSS Weapon Focus feat is to play a race with natural weapons, and take focus in that.

There's also Hand Crossbow Focus from DoTU, which counts as Weapon Focus for reqs, but has other benefits. KotSS would probably be more melee focused than range, though.

EisenKreutzer
2019-09-20, 08:23 PM
Ive always liked the mercurial greatsword.

Luckmann
2019-09-21, 12:13 PM
Since it hasn't been mentioned, I want to bring up the Halfling Warsling, with Skiprocks. 1d8 (medium) or 1d6 (small) damage, with 4× crits. It's a considerable upgrade from the regular sling just on its own, but the real kicker is that if you use the appropriate skiprock ammunition (which is really just rocks of the correct size and shape), on a hit, you get a second attack against an adjacent target, at a mere -2.

Yes, you're reading this right. With this handy weapon, you could conceivably double the number of attacks you're making.

The only issue is that you need to be proficient both in the warsling and skiprocks, but thankfully, the Targeteer fighter variant gives not one but two exotic weapon proficiencies, which is perfect for that Strongheart Halfling Fighter Targeteer 4/Barbarian Hunter 11/Warsling Sniper 6 we all want to be.

PoeticallyPsyco
2019-09-21, 02:39 PM
I'm going to suggest hook swords so that you can take Flying Tiger (Secrets of Sarlona), turning you into Jet from Avatar the Last Airbender. Maybe throw in the Brachiation feat so you can pull of his 'swing through the trees' trick.