PDA

View Full Version : That thing doesn't obey the laws of physics feat

MadBear
2019-09-18, 09:13 PM
So I've been slowly getting ready to play a captain America inspired battle master fighter. The last thing missing from it is going to be the obvious returning shield. While a magic weapon with the returning property could do it, caps Shields weren't always technology dependant. So I thought I'd gets some ideas for a custom feat to run past the DM.

Feat:
+1 strength or Dexterity
-When using thrown weapons that could reasonably bounce, the character can declare a number of targets up to the attacks they could make this turn within range. Going in order the object can bounce from one Target to another assuming a successful hit, each time "consuming that attack". You cannot Target the same creature twice with this attack . If all hits are successful the object returns to the wielder. Any missed attack causes the weapon to land in the square where the attack missed.

My thoughts is this is a feat that allows the character to do something they already could do had they used conventional weapons so it is likely deserving of being a 1/2 feat. If I'm wrong, I'd like to hear what I'm missing.

Obviously the wording is a bit clunky, and I'm hoping someone could help me fix it up a bit or point out if theres a glaring flaw or help make it better in general.

JNAProductions
2019-09-18, 09:17 PM
Feels too weak-the odds of missing at least once with two attacks, assuming you hit on an 8, is over 50%. Three attacks bumps that to nearly a 3 in 4 chance.

I'd hate to lose my weapon that often.

MadBear
2019-09-18, 09:22 PM
Do you think just making attack rolls with it against all targets and it returning would be too good? Maybe at least make a natural 1 have it not come back?

JNAProductions
2019-09-18, 09:24 PM
Do you think just making attack rolls with it against all targets and it returning would be too good? Maybe at least make a natural 1 have it not come back?

I would have it come back, short of the opponent readying an action to catch it or something similar.

No one else risks losing their weapon just by using it-I don't see why being cool should entail that risk.

HappyDaze
2019-09-18, 09:40 PM
that could reasonably bounce
NEVER use the words reasonably or realistically when writing feat mechanics.

Composer99
2019-09-18, 10:00 PM
So I've been slowly getting ready to play a captain America inspired battle master fighter. The last thing missing from it is going to be the obvious returning shield. While a magic weapon with the returning property could do it, caps Shields weren't always technology dependant. So I thought I'd gets some ideas for a custom feat to run past the DM.

Feat:
+1 strength or Dexterity
-When using thrown weapons that could reasonably bounce, the character can declare a number of targets up to the attacks they could make this turn within range. Going in order the object can bounce from one Target to another assuming a successful hit, each time "consuming that attack". You cannot Target the same creature twice with this attack . If all hits are successful the object returns to the wielder. Any missed attack causes the weapon to land in the square where the attack missed.

My thoughts is this is a feat that allows the character to do something they already could do had they used conventional weapons so it is likely deserving of being a 1/2 feat. If I'm wrong, I'd like to hear what I'm missing.

Obviously the wording is a bit clunky, and I'm hoping someone could help me fix it up a bit or point out if theres a glaring flaw or help make it better in general.

I would strongly suggest just making it so that your thrown weapon (or shield, as the case may be) returns to you after you're done attacking. I wouldn't even go so far as to require you to attack a different creature each time. Who's to say the weapon isn't returning in between attacks from a narrative/descriptive perspective, after all? Committing to using thrown weapons means you're already behind on damage compared to just about anyone capable of using martial weapons, so I think that's still a half feat.

MadBear
2019-09-18, 10:27 PM
NEVER use the words reasonably or realistically when writing feat mechanics.

If this was for general public use I'd whole heartedly agree. But for a home game where it's just me and the DM, I think it's fine. Mostly, I can't bounce darts off an opponent, but a shield and other similar items could work.

darknite
2019-09-19, 12:24 PM
Make it a magic item and be done with it. Magic is technology in D&D.