PDA

View Full Version : MBTI and 5e classes

EphTheorem
2019-09-19, 05:35 AM
Just for fun :) Assign a class, and archetype if you want to get that deep, to each of the 16 MBTI types that you think makes sense as a character or that the player might enjoy. I'm interested to see what people think. (You don't have to assign a different class to every type if you feel one fits more than one aptly.)

Ninja_Prawn
2019-09-19, 11:23 AM
Gotta love MBTI! Here are my takes...

ESFP (Performer) - ESFPs are kind of a big deal. They're dramatic, entertaining and irresistible, and often have very strong aesthetic senses. This type has Bard written all over it.

ISFP (Composer) - ISFPs are artists and adventurers who live in a colourful, sensual world. They're always experimenting, reinventing themselves and living in the moment. Unpredictable and passionate, I feel like Sorcerer is a good fit here.

ESTP (Promoter) - ESTPs are energetic and decisive, always making an impact on the world around them. Of the 16 types, this one is the most likely to take risks, leaping before they look and believing they can adapt on the fly if things go wrong. ESTPs believe that rules were made to be broken! I'm getting a strong Warlock vibe here. Barbarian is also a strong possibility.

ISTP (Crafter) - rational and curious, ISTPs love to get their hands dirty making new things. ISTPs are private people who like to get into the zone and focus on practical tasks. They're great in a crisis but dislike commitment - a good fit for the Ranger class, but Wizard or Artificer type classes can also be suitable.

ENFJ (Teacher) - the ENFJ type is great at inspiring and leading others, radiating authenticity and altruism. They bring together disparate ideas and communicate them with eloquence. ENFJs are unafraid to face the slings and arrows in defence of things they believe in, and often become cultural or political icons. I'm thinking Bard, College of Valour.

INFJ (Counsellor) - a very rare type, INFJs are moral idealists, but not idle dreamers. They're all about helping others to be the best they can be, which sounds kind of bard-ish, but this is an introverted type that is noted for its warmth, sensitivity and commitment to cosmic balance. I think the most suitable class is a support-focused Cleric, like the Life domain.

ENFP (Champion) - adventurous and free-spirited, an ENFP really does believe that the real treasure is the friends they made along the way. They see life as a puzzle, where everything is connected, and rely on their emotions to guide them towards deeper meaning. That's got to be a Lore Bard.

INFP (Healer) - my type! INFPs don't make great adventurers; we're generally reserved and conflict-averse. The most appropriate class is probably Druid, due to the emphasis on healing and solitude (and the idealism inherent in the druid's ethos), though a utility-focussed Wizard could also be suitable in the case of a civilian/NPC.

ENTJ (Field Marshal) - this type is described as a charismatic leader, but also ruthless, determined and strong-willed. They love a challenge and believe they can overcome any odds. Sounds like a stereotypical Paladin!

INTJ (Mastermind) - characterised by their thirst for knowledge, serious demeanour and fondness for thorough planning, it seems to me that INTJs would make excellent Wizards.

ENTP (Inventor) - ENTP types seek the truth by thinking big, asking difficult questions and debating with others. They're great at coming up with innovative solutions, but less good at the nuts and bolts of implementing them. Tricky to assign a class to this one. I'm getting a bit of a Swashbuckler Rogue feel?

INTP (Architect) - inventive, creative and precise, I'd say that Rogue is a good fit here, especially the Inquisitive archetype.

ESFJ (Provider) - social creatures who thrive in the spotlight, ESFJs are your stereotypical 'cool kids'. This really has to be a Charisma class, and I think the ESFJ's skills at connecting with others and focus on social standing and keeping up appearances might lead them down the path of the Warlock.

ISFJ (Protector) - analytical but sensitive, reserved but with strong people skills, conservative but open to new ideas. ISFJs are characterised by contradictions, which makes them hard to put into a class. When you look at their strengths and weaknesses (reliable, observant, hard-working, practical, humble, repressed, self-sacrificing), I start to think Ranger might be a good fit.

ESTJ (Supervisor) - ESTJs believe in tradition, order, dedication and the rule of law. They can be stubborn and quick to anger too, so I could see Vengeance Paladin working for this type.

ISTJ (Inspector) - an abundant personality type, the ISTJ is logical and dedicated to their duty. They fit well into traditional institutions and corporate settings. I would think Fighter, Monk and some of the Cleric domains would all work for this type.

NecessaryWeevil
2019-09-19, 12:06 PM
Ooo fun! I'm an INFP also and happen to be playing a Druid for the first time.

We don't have have any Barbarians yet....from your description ENTP sound like they're full of energy and enthusiasm but impatient with delicacy and subtlety. Could be a fit.

Ninja_Prawn
2019-09-19, 12:25 PM
Ooo fun! I'm an INFP also and happen to be playing a Druid for the first time.

We don't have have any Barbarians yet....from your description ENTP sound like they're full of energy and enthusiasm but impatient with delicacy and subtlety. Could be a fit.

In my opinion, ESTP is the most appropriate type for a barbarian. As an example, I'd refer you to this excellent analysis (https://lokgifsandmusings.tumblr.com/post/113089289404/a-3-mbti-analysis-of-asami-and-korra) of Korra from Legend of Korra, who has a very barbarian-like attitude (it'll make sense even if you haven't seen the show, I think).

Actually, I'll add that to my previous post.

Also, yay, a fellow INFP! I often think one of the defining traits of our type is that we love the MBTI, so it's never a surprise to see a bunch of Healers come out of the woodwork whenever someone posts an MBTI thread.

GlenSmash!
2019-09-19, 02:20 PM
Oh I love to play against type.

I'm an INTJ so of course my favorite class to play is a Barbarian. :smallbiggrin:

Also Ninja_Prawn I think your analysis is spot on.

Fable Wright
2019-09-19, 04:02 PM
As an I_TP (N/S varies by quiz/day), I feel like the Druid is a good fit for those roles. They have some of the best tools in the game for building things, whether Plant Growth or Planar Bound Fey or Transmute Rock, and they have an endless amount of unique tools for crafting/planning ranging from spider webs to enormous forms to summoning animals to act as unique minions to the ability to talk with and organize plants and animals. They are an endless toolbox that never has to speak with any other humans and make a perfect fit for I_TP in my eyes.

JellyPooga
2019-09-19, 04:12 PM
Am I the only one reading this with literally zero clue as to what any of this means?

NNescio
2019-09-19, 04:18 PM
Am I the only one reading this with literally zero clue as to what any of this means?

Myers–Briggs Type Indicator.

It's one of those bullcrap pseudoscientific personality tests things (made by a mother and daughter team with zero training in psychology by ripping off Jung), except this one unfortunately became popular among business HR types who use it as justification to discriminate against people with a CHA penalty. (especially people with a certain spectrum of disability.)

It is widely discredited among people who actually, yannow, practice psychology.

(Yes, I really hate the test and have learned how to lie on it.)

Fable Wright
2019-09-19, 04:20 PM

MBTI is a moderately popular pseudoscience test that places you into one of sixteen general personality types based off your responses to a quiz. Those sixteen types are generated/described by labels on an axis (Extroversion/Introversion, iNtuition/Sensing, Thinking/Feeling, Perceiving/Judging) getting descriptors of [E/I][N/S][T/F][P/J]. Each of those combinations are given nicknames to describe those personality types.

Then the question is how these broad personality stereotypes match to the mechanics or stereotypes of 5e classes.

EDIT: To emphasize, it's a silly self reported personality test that is somewhat fun on its own and should never, ever be used in a serious workplace environment. That's like using a "which Harry Potter character are you" test to determine someone's career path and that would be deeply disturbing on so many levels.

Ninja_Prawn
2019-09-19, 04:32 PM
It is widely discredited among people who actually, yannow, practice psychology.

But it's so much fun! :smalltongue:

GlenSmash!
2019-09-19, 04:36 PM
MBTI is a moderately popular pseudoscience test that places you into one of sixteen general personality types based off your responses to a quiz. Those sixteen types are generated/described by labels on an axis (Extroversion/Introversion, iNtuition/Sensing, Thinking/Feeling, Perceiving/Judging) getting descriptors of [E/I][N/S][T/F][P/J]. Each of those combinations are given nicknames to describe those personality types.

Then the question is how these broad personality stereotypes match to the mechanics or stereotypes of 5e classes.

EDIT: To emphasize, it's a silly self reported personality test that is somewhat fun on its own and should never, ever be used in a serious workplace environment. That's like using a "which Harry Potter character are you" test to determine someone's career path and that would be deeply disturbing on so many levels.

Yup. pretty much just a horoscope but based on questionnaire instead of birth date

EphTheorem
2019-09-19, 07:10 PM
Didn't want this to turn into a negative thread, I was afraid that would happen. MBTI is a useful tool for writing, as well as character creation so I wanted everyone to have fun with it. It is not being used for academic reasons here, but as a framework to build characters from.

Christew
2019-09-19, 07:24 PM
You could actually drum up a decent branching class definer in the mold of MBTI. Binaries such as Martial/Caster, Arcane/Divine, etc seem low hanging fruit.

Ex. CDNR : Caster Divine Nature Ranged
Circle of the Land Druid

NNescio
2019-09-20, 01:54 AM
You could actually drum up a decent branching class definer in the mold of MBTI. Binaries such as Martial/Caster, Arcane/Divine, etc seem low hanging fruit.

Ex. CDNR : Caster Divine Nature Ranged
Circle of the Land Druid

You mean Primal Controller? :smalltongue: