PDA

View Full Version : Cavestalker Prereq

ericlboyd
2019-09-19, 08:25 AM
Greetings,

I'm looking for a way to create a wood elf druid / cavestalker (from Drow of the Underdark) or wood elf ranger / cavestalker

Is there a way to satisfy the "natural darkvision" requirement?

--Eric

Quentinas
2019-09-19, 08:33 AM
Maybe draconic sense, or the otherworldy feat or if they doesn't convince you there is this post founded using my search fu ((probably otherworldy as feat would be qualify even for the natural darkvision as you are an outsider)
Gaining Darkvision (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?115115-Gaining-Darkvision)

Elves
2019-09-19, 12:11 PM
Darkvision from an inherited template would work.

Blackhawk748
2019-09-19, 12:25 PM
Greetings,

I'm looking for a way to create a wood elf druid / cavestalker (from Drow of the Underdark) or wood elf ranger / cavestalker

Is there a way to satisfy the "natural darkvision" requirement?

--Eric

Pretty sure Mineral Warrior gives it to you. And it's a good template

Thurbane
2019-09-19, 05:21 PM
Otherwordly feat (PGtF) can be applied to an elf (Evermeet, Sildeyuir), and changes type to Outsider. The Outsider type comes with Darkvision.

Dragonborn template (RotD) is LA +0, and the Mind aspect comes with Darkvision.

Whether the DM counts these as "natural" Darkvision or not is open for interpretation, but I think it would be entirely reasonable. Otherwordly is a 1st level only feat, so effectively you are born that way. If the character already has levels, ask the DM if you can retcon or re-train your feats.

The Viscount
2019-09-20, 12:37 PM
If you can stomach the +1 LA, Dark template is a good source of darkvision as well as HiPS, useful for a cavestalker.

Jowgen
2019-09-20, 02:48 PM
There are grafts that should do it; i.e. fiendish skin, darksight eyes, crown of eyes, and eye of the murky deep. They're all hella overpriced, but still hard to argue that having a non-magical body part that gives you the ability doesn't count as "natural" enough.

Elves
2019-09-20, 03:09 PM
There are grafts that should do it; i.e. fiendish skin, darksight eyes, crown of eyes, and eye of the murky deep. They're all hella overpriced, but still hard to argue that having a non-magical body part that gives you the ability doesn't count as "natural" enough.

Except that it's magically grafted onto your "natural" body.

Celestia
2019-09-20, 03:49 PM
I think "natural" in this context means "not from a magic item," so any template/feat/class feature should work.

Blackhawk748
2019-09-20, 03:55 PM
I think "natural" in this context means "not from a magic item," so any template/feat/class feature should work.

Thats how I was reading it. Can Diespel permanently remove it? No? Then its natural.

Elves
2019-09-21, 07:32 AM
I've previously advocated that reading for "inherent", but "natural" has slightly different connotations from "inherent". If a log falls over a canyon, that's a natural bridge; if you cut down a tree and lay it over the canyon, that's an artificial bridge. Class levels could arguably count as natural even under this reading, but not grafts or applied templates.

It comes down to the definition of "natural" you use. "Existing in or formed by nature (opposed to artificial)" vs "that which constitutes someone's nature [ie stats]". The latter is a more antiquated definition. Under it I would still hesitate about grafts but would accept applied templates.

Zaq
2019-09-21, 11:41 AM
Druids use nature as a power source, so get one to cast a spell that gives darkvision and permanency on you. No, I'm not being serious. It's hard for druids to get darkvision as a spell, anyway. Maybe if you get a ranger to cast it...