PDA

View Full Version : Necromancy in Descent into Avernus

AdventureGnome
2019-09-19, 02:18 PM
My DM is looking into playing Descent into Avernus, I have really been wanting to try a necromancer for a while now. But i don't really want to be in big city like baldurs gate a massive amount after i hit the level that i can raise dead.

I realize that it has literally just been released but i was hoping somebody could shed some light on necromancy (specifically the raise dead kind) within "Descent". Around how long do you stay in Baldur's Gate for in terms of level?
It would also be super helpful if someone could clarify how much humanoids there is to even raise from the dead in Avernus, cause im just thinking it's probably only devils and stuff.

Thanks for any input!

darknite
2019-09-19, 02:23 PM
I think you're in hell by 5th level or just a bit after.

NRSASD
2019-09-19, 02:44 PM
As someone who has the book, I can confirm that being in Hell by 5th level is the intended progression.

lianightdemon
2019-09-19, 02:52 PM
5th level yes
but 7th level is really when your let out to go explore it. The quest and exploring spans from 7-13

NRSASD
2019-09-19, 03:37 PM
Regarding the abundance of corpses, it kinda depends on your DM. It describes lakes of demon ichor and literal fields of bone, but are these mortal remains? Up to the DM I'd wager. Still, I think it'd be a pretty safe bet. There are several graveyards in the campaign early on that definitely have mortal remains.

sithlordnergal
2019-09-19, 07:31 PM
A thing to keep in mind about Necromancy: You're going to be facing a lot of Demons and Devils. Most, if not all, Demons and Devils resist non-magical attacks, and some of the high CR ones are flat out immune. So unless you're able to get enough silver arrows, you're going to find your Undead Army does very little damage.

darknite
2019-09-20, 08:32 AM
A thing to keep in mind about Necromancy: You're going to be facing a lot of Demons and Devils. Most, if not all, Demons and Devils resist non-magical attacks, and some of the high CR ones are flat out immune. So unless you're able to get enough silver arrows, you're going to find your Undead Army does very little damage.

Unless you get one of those nifty Hellactious Banners...

AdventureGnome
2019-09-22, 05:34 AM
"Unless you get one of those nifty Hellactious Banners..."

What's that?

Lunali
2019-09-22, 10:25 AM
"Unless you get one of those nifty Hellactious Banners..."

What's that?

Battle standard of infernal power, weapon attacks of all allied creatures within 300ft are magical for the purposes of overcoming damage immunity/resistance.

Cuaqchi
2019-09-22, 10:40 AM
Nothing says how fresh the remains need to be... Depending on the type of person the Necromancer is they may decide to lug around certain remains under the vestiges of proper internment at a future date. How many you keep might feel a little meta-gamey, but at the same time carrying your bones with you means you don't need to be robbing graves in the future.

Brookshw
2019-09-22, 11:06 AM
There are a ton of dead humanoids as soon as you get to hell, and you should be able to return to the area if you need to restock (might take some hiking). There are also some scattered along.