PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Slow Flaw/Trait and future speed increases

Sejoran
2019-09-19, 05:11 PM
As title suggests, i am looking into the slow flaw/trait and am wondering if it applies to any future speed increases that permanently increase your base speed. Running a campaign where one of the players have managed to take both, they have come across an effect that would increase their base speed by 20', does this apply to their 10' making it a 30' or does it merely go up to a 15'?

I apologize if something like this has been posted before(i would appreciate a link if there is), i dont frequent forums very often and i have only competed in a few contests on this site.

RNightstalker
2019-09-19, 05:42 PM
The flaw affects base land speed, not base speed. Anything that would increase the base land speed would essentially be added to the original total and then halved. If they're one and the same, I am not too proud to be corrected, and my comment is moot.

Silvercrys
2019-09-19, 09:30 PM
Would think they needed to have a base speed of 40' to start with for them to have both in the first place (since half of 30' is 15' and you don't have enough land speed to halve it again).

But assuming they had that, it depends on how they're increasing their speed. Boots of Striding and Springing give an enhancement bonus, for example, so that wouldn't be halved because it's added after. But if they got a base land speed increase from Barbarian or something, that should be added before halving, I think.

Voidstar01
2019-09-19, 09:48 PM
Would think they needed to have a base speed of 40' to start with for them to have both in the first place (since half of 30' is 15' and you don't have enough land speed to halve it again).

30ft + slow flaw = 15ft ---> 15ft + slow trait = 7.5 (round down) 5ft.
You can but unless you have a non-land speed it's going to be a very bad time for you.

Sejoran
2019-09-19, 10:02 PM
The effect would be similar to having a acquired template applied. So its not necessarily a magical or temporary change but more of a permanent one. I would imagine it would affect the base speed and is still affected by the trait/flaw. But thats the point i am not sure about.

Luckmann
2019-09-20, 04:37 AM
As far as I've come to understand it, unless it says otherwise, bonuses and penalties are applied in the order of you leisure. Slow is (presumably) qcquired at lvl 1, and doesn't say anything about future changes to your speed.

Upon acquiring it, your base speed is halved. It is my reading that this will have no effect on the +20 ft movement, aquired later.