PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder [PF1e] Things to keep in mind when granting magic items and equipment to this party?

EisenKreutzer
2019-09-19, 05:22 PM
I’m starting a new campaign that involves a lot of planar travel, but mostly to other Prime Material planes (atleast for the first 5 or 6 levels). The focal point of this campaign will be Hyraeatan, the City of 7 Seraphs, but the characters will be travelling to other major cities pretty early on.
Among other things, this will mean that the characters will spend the majority of their time in major cities, most of which will have ample access to magic shops, spellcasters for hire and magical healers.

I plan on dealing out magic items for them in the form of equipment from opponents, loot and quest rewards.
I want to cover all the bases, so stuff like amulets of natural armor, rings of protection and +1 weapons will be available to find as well as for purchase.

But I want to be able to give some more personalized rewards to these characters.
They are an odd bunch:

A gearforged clockwork adept (from Rhune: Dawn of Twilight; it’s basically a wizard but with a channel energy class feature that only affects constructs)
A noral vitalist
A nameer rajah
An android zweihander sentinel warden bushi
And a dwarf rogue specializing in nonlethal damage

What sort of item rewards can I offer these guys at various levels to give them new options, new ways to shine and most importantly excitement and fun?

Edit: The bushi will start the game with a scaling magic item, a katana that starts out as a simple masterwork weapon but will unlock bonuses and enchantments as he levels up.

Drackstin
2019-09-20, 09:56 AM
Best thing is to watch your players play style. see what they do and how they use the class. and don't be afraid to make something a little custom. i like to add 2 items together that are both unique and useful but not game braking.

when you set up an encounter add in a enemy that's close to what they are with something cool. make that the big drop of the fight. you will know your players best and what they want.

For my newest game i combined a thunderstone and a guitar together for, once per day he can roll a perform check to use the thunderstone effect. he also found a vest of hidden interment. basically a glove of storing that only works on an instrument and takes a body slot.

play to your players, just because the magic shop has lots of stuff doesn't mean its always in stock, and sometimes the street bosses or odd travelers have cool things on them that might peek the players interest more. finding dozens of rings of protection +1 is all well and good, but when they find something that they like is better. my one player loves snakes. she found a rod of the constrictor, a quarterstaff that can be tossed on the ground to make a snake, and that's a real item.