PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Sensei Belthomias Stats?

A_Gray_Phantom
2019-09-19, 06:30 PM
I'm sending my players to the Monastery of Zerth'Ad'Lun (located in the Ever-Changing Chaos of Limbo). The sensei of this monastery is Sensei Belthomias, and I doubt that the players (who are at most level 8) will want to fight against a 16th level monk; just in case I'd like to have some vague idea of his abilities.

I could sit down and figure out all of his stats, but it'd be easier if they were already written down somewhere. I'm surprised at this since Vlaakith, the githyanki lich queen, has stats. Heck, Belthomias doesn't even have an article on 1d4chan. He has no art, no lore, no nothing. He's casually mentioned in the footnotes in a few books, and that's it.

Making a sheet for him wouldn't be that difficult. I'd wanna spend 2 hours at it at the most, but if there's a shortcut somewhere then I'd much rather go with that.

Efrate
2019-09-19, 07:05 PM
I think you are mostly making him up whole cloth. I have a vague memory of him from manual of the planes or the planar handbook? Might have been a footnote?
16th level githzerei monk, able to stabalize a large area of limbo semi-permanently by himself.

I am guessing elite array, npc wbl, githzerai stat mods on top of elite array. Because of gith LA use whatever his ecl is for wbl. No acfs except maybe planar monk. No Prcs. Standard wotc optimization level (so garbage).

A_Gray_Phantom
2019-09-19, 07:33 PM
I think you are mostly making him up whole cloth. I have a vague memory of him from manual of the planes or the planar handbook? Might have been a footnote?
16th level githzerei monk, able to stabalize a large area of limbo semi-permanently by himself.

I am guessing elite array, npc wbl, githzerai stat mods on top of elite array. Because of gith LA use whatever his ecl is for wbl. No acfs except maybe planar monk. No Prcs. Standard wotc optimization level (so garbage).

Yeah, he's a footnote in the Dungeon Master's Guide, the Manual of the Planes, and the Planar Handbook. Other than that, he's a total mystery.

Sorry, but I'm still new to some of this. I think I can translate most of these acronyms, though:

NPC: non-player character
ECL: encounter level
WBL: Wealth by level
LA: level adjustment
Prc: prestige class

Acronym I don't understand: WOTC

And I don't know what an elite array is :smallconfused:

But I do appreciate the input! Thanks! I'll probably cobble something together, but most likely I won't end up using the stats at all. Whenever I build an NPC I anticipate the party will want to fight, they tend to not fight it. (Ironic.) :smallsigh:

Thurbane
2019-09-19, 07:37 PM
Acronym I don't understand: WOTC

And I don't know what an elite array is :smallconfused:

WotC = Wizards of the Coast

Elite array is a stat array of 15, 14 ,13 ,12 ,10, 8 for ability scores. Nearly all official NPCs use this method for ability scores.

Elves
2019-09-19, 07:40 PM
Statistically isn't it really supposed to be 16, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8? I saw this somewhere and remembered it because that is a much more convenient and usable array.

Thurbane
2019-09-19, 07:51 PM
Statistically isn't it really supposed to be 16, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8? I saw this somewhere and remembered it because that is a much more convenient and usable array.

Unsure where this set of numbers comes from?

Elite Array: Use the following scores, arranged as desired: 15, 14, 13, 12, 10, and 8. These numbers (assuming they’re assigned to abilities in an appropriate way) produce characters with at least a decent score in every ability that’s important to the character’s class. This method is faster than the standard point buy method and is good for creating characters quickly. In fact, it’s the method we used to generate ability scores for the sample NPCs in Chapter 4 of this book.

To the OP: DMG p.118 and PHB2 p.207-221 have some advice on building NPC monks. Be aware though, that they will generally be sub-optimal build guidelines.

Asmotherion
2019-09-19, 08:25 PM
I'm sending my players to the Monastery of Zerth'Ad'Lun (located in the Ever-Changing Chaos of Limbo). The sensei of this monastery is Sensei Belthomias, and I doubt that the players (who are at most level 8) will want to fight against a 16th level monk; just in case I'd like to have some vague idea of his abilities.

I could sit down and figure out all of his stats, but it'd be easier if they were already written down somewhere. I'm surprised at this since Vlaakith, the githyanki lich queen, has stats. Heck, Belthomias doesn't even have an article on 1d4chan. He has no art, no lore, no nothing. He's casually mentioned in the footnotes in a few books, and that's it.

Making a sheet for him wouldn't be that difficult. I'd wanna spend 2 hours at it at the most, but if there's a shortcut somewhere then I'd much rather go with that.

Depends... Any caster in the group? Monks are also not exactly a tier 1 or 2 class either and a level 8 full caster can probably prove a tough challenge to one twice their level.

Efrate
2019-09-19, 08:30 PM
I would give him an unprecedented control over limbo so if pcs try to do the pc murderhobo thing he reshapes the monastery with them not in it and thus suffering the full effects of limbo. It is virtually a gods alter reality ability and he is supposedly the best.

Elves
2019-09-19, 08:49 PM
Unsure where this set of numbers comes from?

Can't find the post with a quick search. Someone claimed to have done the calculations behind the elite array and found the 15 was a 15.8. Can't remember what kind of math they provided.

A_Gray_Phantom
2019-09-19, 08:49 PM
WotC = Wizards of the Coast

Elite array is a stat array of 15, 14 ,13 ,12 ,10, 8 for ability scores. Nearly all official NPCs use this method for ability scores.

This makes my life SO much easier, thanks!

I forgot to ask, what does ACF stand for?

Depends... Any caster in the group? Monks are also not exactly a tier 1 or 2 class either and a level 8 full caster can probably prove a tough challenge to one twice their level.

Most of the party are spellcasters. If the party chooses to all try to fight him, and if they are insane enough to try to actually kill him, then there's no reason why he'd allow them to cast spells.

Practitioners of Zerthi are able to see into the immediate future. They can see one round into the future to be precise. As a free action Belthomias can ready an action against their opponents without declaring what that action is going to be. If so desired, Belthomias can use his will to reshape the stabilized section of the monastery into some other element. He could turn the air around them into water, preventing them from casting spells. He could also break off that section of the monastery and cast it into the void, forcing the spellcasters to choose whether or not they want to risk their spells going wild. (Spellcasters need to make caster level checks to prevent their magic from going wild in raw limbo.)

The ability to see into the future usually takes years (sometimes months) to master, but a planar touchstone site at the monastery allows a player character with the planar touchstone feat to temporarily gain this ability in just one week.

Honestly, the more I think about it, the less I feel I need to actually stat this guy. While he's nowhere near the power of Vlaakith, he's essentially a demigod in this plane. He's the one most responsible for stabilizing the monastery, so it only makes sense that he can also reshape it with wisdom checks.

I'll probably stat out some regular monks instead, and just improvise my way through Belthomias' segment. If the players insist, then they can roll bones against the regular monks.

(Edit) Source: Page 163 Planar Handbook for the bit about the planar touchstone, and I'm also pulling some info from both the 3.5 DMG and the 5e DMG for inspiration on controlling and stabilizing Limbo.

Thurbane
2019-09-19, 10:32 PM
It's 3.0, but here's a stat block for a 16th level Monk NPC you could use: http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/cc/20021121d

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2019-09-19, 11:35 PM
I'd make him a Githzerai Hand and Foot (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#handandFoot) Monk 6/ Zerth Cenobite 10, from Complete Psionic. Always include the Dead Levels (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/cwc/20061013a) class features, in this case for a laugh.

He'll get four points to his stats for being 16th level, and NPC gear for ECL 18 (130k). Go for Str 10, Dex 20, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 24, Cha 8 after racial adjustments and level-up points. Monk will give him Stunning Fist, Deflect Arrows, and Improved Trip, and I'd give him Sand Dancer (1), Weapon Finesse (3), Martial Study: Shadow Jaunt (6), Improved Natural Attack: Unarmed Strike (9), Martial Stance: Dance of the Spider (12), and Shadow Blade (15).

Keep in mind that per the errata for all three core rulebooks, the text always trumps the table if the two disagree. Zerth Cenobite's text description for Powers Known says, "Each time you attain a new level, you learn one new power." So he'll have three 1st, three 2nd, three 3rd, and one 4th level power, instead of the two/one/one/one that the table shows. For his powers known, go I'd go with Force Screen, Thicken Skin, Vigor, Hustle, Psionic Lion's Charge, Body Purification, Body Adjustment, Greater Concealing Amorpha, Psionic Dimension Door, and one other power of 3rd level or lower. I'd ad-hoc Time Hop for that last one, given the theme of the class that's granting those powers.

Gear should be a Belt of Battle, Third Eye: Clarity, Scout's Headband with a +6 enhancement to Wis added (MIC p234), Anklet of Translocation with a +6 enhancement to Dex added (MIC p234), Ring of Freedom of Movement, Necklace of Adaptation, Shadow Cloak with a +5 resistance bonus to saving throws added (MIC p234), Ring of Anticipation with a +1 deflection bonus to AC added (MIC p234), and he should have 700 gp remaining for mundane items.

He should keep himself buffed with his racial 3/day Inertial Armor, that's at a manifester level of 8 so it's exactly enough to keep it constantly active at a +7 bonus (psi-like abilities are always max-augmented for free). Max out Sense Motive, if he gets the feeling they're looking for trouble he can buff himself with Thicken Skin, Force Screen, Vigor, and Greater Concealing Amorpha, or he can Dimension Door out and buff himself while he calls for backup and strolls back to them. Give him plenty of skill tricks in CS and max out useful skills like Balance, Jump, and Tumble, and make liberal use of his power points, Stunning Fist, and Zerth Cenobite class features if a fight goes down. He should use Hustle or Psionic Lion's Charge and activate Sand Dancer with a full attack/flurry of blows as often as possible.

A_Gray_Phantom
2019-09-19, 11:36 PM
It's 3.0, but here's a stat block for a 16th level Monk NPC you could use: http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/cc/20021121d

Oh thanks! Yeah, if I must then I'll try to use this. Thanks!

A_Gray_Phantom
2019-09-19, 11:38 PM
I'd make him a Githzerai Hand and Foot (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#handandFoot) Monk 6/ Zerth Cenobite 10, from Complete Psionic. Always include the Dead Levels (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/cwc/20061013a) class features, in this case for a laugh.

He'll get four points to his stats for being 16th level, and NPC gear for ECL 18 (130k). Go for Str 10, Dex 20, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 24, Cha 8 after racial adjustments and level-up points. Monk will give him Stunning Fist, Deflect Arrows, and Improved Trip, and I'd give him Sand Dancer (1), Weapon Finesse (3), Martial Study: Shadow Jaunt (6), Improved Natural Attack: Unarmed Strike (9), Martial Stance: Dance of the Spider (12), and Shadow Blade (15).

Keep in mind that per the errata for all three core rulebooks, the text always trumps the table if the two disagree. Zerth Cenobite's text description for Powers Known says, "Each time you attain a new level, you learn one new power." So he'll have three 1st, three 2nd, three 3rd, and one 4th level power, instead of the two/one/one/one that the table shows. For his powers known, go I'd go with Force Screen, Thicken Skin, Vigor, Hustle, Psionic Lion's Charge, Body Purification, Body Adjustment, Greater Concealing Amorpha, Psionic Dimension Door, and one other power of 3rd level or lower. I'd ad-hoc Time Hop for that last one, given the theme of the class that's granting those powers.

Gear should be a Belt of Battle, Third Eye: Clarity, Scout's Headband with a +6 enhancement to Wis added (MIC p234), Anklet of Translocation with a +6 enhancement to Dex added (MIC p234), Ring of Freedom of Movement, Necklace of Adaptation, Shadow Cloak with a +5 resistance bonus to saving throws added (MIC p234), Ring of Anticipation with a +1 deflection bonus to AC added (MIC p234), and he should have 700 gp remaining for mundane items.

He should keep himself buffed with his racial 3/day Inertial Armor, that's at a manifester level of 8 so it's exactly enough to keep it constantly active at a +7 bonus (psi-like abilities are always max-augmented for free). Max out Sense Motive, if he gets the feeling they're looking for trouble he can buff himself with Thicken Skin, Force Screen, Vigor, and Greater Concealing Amorpha, or he can Dimension Door out and buff himself while he calls for backup and strolls back to them. Give him plenty of skill tricks in CS and max out useful skills like Balance, Jump, and Tumble, and make liberal use of his power points, Stunning Fist, and Zerth Cenobite class features if a fight goes down. He should use Hustle or Psionic Lion's Charge and activate Sand Dancer with a full attack/flurry of blows as often as possible.

Whoa! You went above and beyond! I can use this too! Thanks!

Elves
2019-09-20, 12:23 AM
Seconding the recommendation to spice him up with unique plane-warping abilities since that's his whole shtick. A solid build is good but without some ad hoc abilities too he'll feel underwhelming.

A_Gray_Phantom
2019-09-20, 02:05 AM
Seconding the recommendation to spice him up with unique plane-warping abilities since that's his whole shtick. A solid build is good but without some ad hoc abilities too he'll feel underwhelming.

I'm currently watching some compilations on YouTube for waterbending, earthbending, firebending, and airbending :smallwink: