PDA

View Full Version : controlling NPCs as a DM in combat

Cantankerous80
2019-09-20, 12:48 PM
ok, so im thinking of running a game as a first time DM, and ive seen how the issue of tanking has been brought up before. I was "raised" in WoW, so my only exp with tanking is from playing one online. I understand there is no set mechanic for aggro outside of certain spells like compelled duel for example. now I like systems that have their own "physics", if you will, and seeing what happens when you interact with them. now, I don't know how many of you play 40k, but there is rule in there that I think would solve the issue of "stickiness", at least partially. in 40k, if a unit A wishes to fire at unit C, but unit B is closer to unit A, then unit A must pass a leadership test to fire at the desired unit. if it fails, then it can still fire, just at unit B. so im thinking, what if the tank is unit B and the backrow squishy is unit C, with the NPC being unit A, theres nothing but DM fiat really keeping him from rushing the back row. since we are playing a dice game with weighted, but ultimately, Random Chance TM as a core mechanic, why not add a check to their behavior? im thinking something like a WIS or INT (prolly WIS) to see if they will run past the tank, modify with variable DC as you see fit depending on the party role. fail the check, the NPC sticks to the tank. im open to any other additions/suggestions.

THANX

nickl_2000
2019-09-20, 12:51 PM
May I make a suggestion to simplify it a lot. Don't.

If there is an NPC in combat that in intelligent, have the stat block available and the let the players run the NPC in combat. You can referee if it is outside the NPCs personality, but otherwise let them go nuts. You have all kinds of things to worry about in combat, you don't need one more thing. Give it to the martial fighter who doesn't need to worry about spells for the next round or anything like that.

Cantankerous80
2019-09-20, 01:06 PM
are you referring to a "good guy" NPC in party with the PC's? I just wanted to make it clear that I was referring to the baddies that the PCs will be playing against.

nickl_2000
2019-09-20, 01:09 PM
are you referring to a "good guy" NPC in party with the PC's? I just wanted to make it clear that I was referring to the baddies that the PCs will be playing against.

Ya I was.... I'm sorry I completely misunderstood. I'll let others go nuts.

Christew
2019-09-20, 01:56 PM
Haha, ambiguity rears its ugly head!

Even regarding bad NPCs, I would still preach simplicity. Don't.

Dice rolls and checking values takes time. Combat is most fun when fast paced and focused on player rolls. If you are adding a check behind the screen in order to simulate a rational NPC you could as easily just act rationally as you control without the roll. Don't charge the caster because it is optimal, think what this low level goblin or what have you would do faced with a charging fighter and a guy in robes yards away. Soil himself and hide probably. A high level mage Slayer assassin on the other hand, totally reasonable to surprise attack the wizard out of nowhere.

My general rule is limit unnecessary rolls as much as possible, doubly so for rolls that don't really involve the players.

J-H
2019-09-20, 03:37 PM
For some truly superb work on "how do I run NPCs/monsters," I suggest reviewing this website:

http://themonstersknow.com/
Start here:
http://themonstersknow.com/why-these-tactics/

Sigreid
2019-09-20, 04:00 PM
Imo, just play each NPC from their perspective. The npc doesn't know that he has 59 hp and the sword only does 1d8. He knows that as he tries to run past, that dude is going to try to jam that long and sharp piece of metal in his lungs. How badly does he want to try to run past now?

Cantankerous80
2019-09-20, 04:12 PM
maybe I should take the EXALTED approach to baddies in that they are human scenery, there simply for the PC characters to look "cool" in combat. bigger bads will prolly need a little more ajudication, but overall, I see where youre going.

Sigreid
2019-09-20, 04:15 PM
maybe I should take the EXALTED approach to baddies in that they are human scenery, there simply for the PC characters to look "cool" in combat. bigger bads will prolly need a little more ajudication, but overall, I see where youre going.

I take an every minion is important approach. But every minion also really wants to live through the fight. Very few think their best life is as cannon fodder. They have a job to do, but want to go home when it's over.

False God
2019-09-20, 04:22 PM
Nah, you're overcomplicating things. If a player wants to "tank", let them. If you think they need to take some kind of special "tanky" actions, then have them taunt the enemy (literally, "Your mother smells of dookie!"), and drop hints that the enemy doesn't find them threatening.

I mean one of the tricks in WoW as a tank was to catch all those rogue adds, so the enemy has to at some point, decide someone else looks like a good target.

What's that decision point? I use crits. Party member (including the tank) makes a crit? That draws "aggro". Party member fumbles? That looses aggro.

Adapt as necessary. Maybe any damage over a certain number gains threat, maybe any damage under a certain amount loses it. *shrug*

ad_hoc
2019-09-20, 06:06 PM
Don't play NPCs like zombies unless they are zombies.

If you need help beyond that think about what you would do if you were a player. Would you concentrate your forces on attacking the character who is heavily armoured or go (easily) attack the less armoured ones who are more of a threat?

Waterdeep Merch
2019-09-20, 06:33 PM
Just roleplay them realistically. It's fairly easy to see when someone would run.

Most small bands aren't going to want to keep fighting after seeing one of their friends die unless they think the enemy's weak enough for them to get revenge. And if they weren't really friends, they're that much more likely to cheese it when the tables have turned.

Even in large groups, it doesn't take more than a few seriously injured combatants before morale breaks and so, too, does the enemy. Only the most hateful, determined, or foolish of foes would dare press on when their mortality starts becoming imminent. Animals especially- wolves won't just keep attacking after you viciously murder one of their own. They're not idiots.

And only the most heroic of individuals are going to keep fighting after they, themselves, have been injured. Once a living creature takes around half their HP in damage, they're very likely to run for it. They'll only fight to the death if the players don't give them a choice.

JackPhoenix
2019-09-20, 08:02 PM
For some truly superb work on "how do I run NPCs/monsters," I suggest reviewing this website:

http://themonstersknow.com/
Start here:
http://themonstersknow.com/why-these-tactics/

The very article you've listed provides reason why I wouldn't use that site. It makes some assumption about what Int and Wis means, and consider everyone with average mental scores a moron, regardless of actual combat experience. It also contradicts itself multiple times, for example mentioning that low-Dex creatures have "poor ability to avoid damage" (tell that to anyone in a plate armor) and will need to choose their battles carefully regardless of Str or Con, then mentioning high-Str, low-Dex creatures "welcome close-quarter slugfest". It also suggest every creature knows game mechanics and should metagame to take advantage of them.

Laserlight
2019-09-20, 08:16 PM
This isn't WoW, and "tanking" in the WoW sense doesn't really apply. There's not really a mechanism for "drawing aggro". If you're in a narrow space, your front line may be able to physically block foes from getting to your back line. That's about it. Don't worry about tanking.

When you make up the NPC, decide on a few simple tactics ("Will stand between the enemy and our priest" might be one, or "prefers to attack casters instead of martials if possible", or "shoot and scoot, avoid close combat") and go from there.