PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Avernus Help - PC Swapping (Avernus Spoilers possible)

jaappleton
2019-09-20, 03:21 PM
Possible spoilers for Descent Into Avernus are here.

Once you’re actually in Avernus, it’s quite a bit stingy with magic items. There’s a reason for that:

PCs are expected to make literal deals with Devils. Whether for their soul, another soul, soul coins, taking out a rival Devil, etc.

Now... This is a fun mechanic. For sure.

However, players at my table often switch out PCs. We’re big fans of playing what you want. And as UA is released, people get excited and want to check it out, etc.

But... In Avernus, this presents a problem: If Bob offers his soul for a Scimitar of Speed, his soul was the bargaining chip. And if he’s just written off... What incentive does the Devil have to work with the party again? If Bob was beholden to the Devil, or somehow roped the party into something with the Devil.... Or if the player wants to swap characters because his alignment went too far south, what should be done?

I see a few options:

1. Let it happen. That’s the Devil’s problem with Bob, let them handle it off-screen. Everyone else moves on and welcomes Tom, the new guy.

2. The Weave works weird in Hell and can alter your form (race change, and appropriate stat changes), and you can borrow knowledge (class change), but it’s the same soul. Same memories. SAME RESPONSIBILITIES.

I don’t know which would be the better way to handle this.

Sigreid
2019-09-20, 04:10 PM
Could just assume the devil got Bob's soul and Bob will not be back. Neither will the scimitar of speed, unless someone wants to make a new deal...