PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Raw Limbo Cards! Simulating Raw Chaos!

A_Gray_Phantom
2019-09-20, 04:04 PM
Taking my players to the Ever-Changing Chaos of Limbo tonight! To simulate the raw chaos portion that traveling through Limbo imposes, I was going to use dry-erase markers, but that would be a pain to draw, erase, and redraw.

So I came up with a solution! Presenting:

https://imgur.com/jiYAlm7

(In case the pic doesn't load, I'm using differently-colored index cards.)

I discovered these index cards fit perfectly inside of these grids. Green represents grasslands (or just land that isn't hostile), orange represents fire, yellow represents water (the pack didn't have blue), pink represents tornadoes, and white will be a wildcard.

The players are going to be charged with hunting down a slaad, and this is going to be the game map. I think I'll have a maximum of 6 cards at a time on the grid, and at the end of every round I pick up all the cards, shuffle them under the table, and place them randomly back on the grid.

Instead of doing it 25% each of the elements, I decided to make the majority of the cards benign. I might also decrease the amount of damage the fire cards do, since they're at most level 8. Tornado is going to be extremely dangerous, so I might fudge around with those effects. Maybe instead of doing MASSIVE DAMAGE I can say it flings you in a random direction.

I'm also going to include a couple of NPC's that can help the party reshape the raw limbo in case I think they're in over their heads.

What do you all think? Does this seem like something you'd use in your games? Let me know down below :smallwink:

A_Gray_Phantom
2019-09-20, 04:05 PM
https://imgur.com/jiYAlm7

Maybe this will work ^_^;

Afghanistan
2019-09-21, 04:36 PM
Make a table and roll on it to see what the tile they are on changes into while they are in/on it.

%
Land
Color

1-25
Harmless Land
Green

26-50
Hostile Land + Random encounter
Orange

51-75
Moist Land + Random Aquatic encounter
Yellow

75-99
Unstable Land + random environment hazard
Pink

Wild Card, roll on Uncontrolled Limbo table (7-1)*
White

*Manual of the Planes

weckar
2019-09-22, 09:09 AM
Yeah, there is no way it isn't going to look like you're targeting/avoiding them.