PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Travel Domain (PEACH)

sandmote
2019-09-20, 06:45 PM
This page on the Homebrewery (https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/SJ-nFPaMPr)

Gods of travel -- including Mercury, Hecate, Epona, and Baervan Wildwanderer -- act as the protectors of travelers, keeping trade routes safe, and remote paths clear. Their clerics often act to perform these duties themselves, fighting bandits and moving rubble. Clerics dedicated to gods who support the spread of information, such as Oghma, or rallying forces against certain threats, such as Kelemvor, may also serve as messengers, taking news across vast distances in astonishingly short periods of time.

Wanderlust
At 1st level, you gain proficiency in perception and with land vehicles.

Additionally, your walking speed increases by 10 feet while you aren't wearing heavy armor. If you start your turn on a mount, it gains this benefit instead.

Travel Domain Spells
Level Spell
1st Floating Disk, Sanctuary
3rd Locate Animals or Plants, Invisibility
5th Create Food and Water, Phantom Steed
7th Dimension Door, Private Sanctum
9th Control Winds, Telepathic Bond

Trusted Mount
Starting at 2nd level, you can use your Channel Divinity to summon an empowered steed. This steed takes the appearance and statistics of a riding horse, a pony, a giant seahorse, a camel, an elk, or a mastiff. (Your GM might allow other animals to be summoned as steeds.) The steed is a celestial, fey, or fiend (your choice) instead of its normal type. You can summon your steed as an action, and can temporarily dismiss it as well. It disappears into a pocket dimension where it awaits your summons. Alternatively, you can dismiss it forever. As an action while it is temporarily dismissed, you can cause it to reappear in any unoccupied space within 30 feet of you. If you already have a trusted mount when you use this ability, you can instead change your steed's statistics and appearance to a different option as well as restore your mount to maximum hit points.

Your unique bond infuses the steed with additional power and knowledge. The steed uses your proficiency modifier, and gains the following benefits:

Your steed has proficiency in two skills of your choice.
Your steed has proficiency in all saving throws.
Your steed's intelligence increases to 7 if it would be lower, and can understand all languages you speak.
Your steed's strength score increases by 2.
When traveling on your steed, you and and up to six companions can travel for 12 hours a day without needing to make Constitution saving throws against exhaustion. If you do take such a saving throw, the DC is 14 + 1 for each hour past 12 hours.
While mounted on your steed, you can make any spell you cast that targets only you also target your steed.
Your steed has a number of hit dice listed on its monster stat block or your cleric level, which ever is higher.
Your steed will follow your orders, but will not attack unless you specifically order it (no action required by you). This does not grant it the attack action while being controlled by a rider.
You can order your steed to attack as a bonus action. You can do this even while mounted on and directing your steed.

If your steed to drops to zero hit points, it disappears, and you must use this channel divinity option again in order to summon the same or a different steed (your choice).

United Fighting
From 6th level, your mount can make reactions while you are controlling it. As a bonus action, you can order your mount to make an attack using its reaction.

Divine Strike
At 8th level, you gain the ability to infuse your weapon strikes with divine energy. Once on each of your turns when you or your mount hit a creature with a weapon attack, you can cause the attack to deal an extra 1d8 radiant damage to the target. When you reach 14th level, the extra damage increases to 2d8.

Travel Through Ranks
Starting at 17th level, you can grant a groups allies improved speed in short bursts. As an action, you can choose up to six creatures within 30 feet of yourself. For 1 minute, each creatures's speed is doubled, it gains a +2 bonus to AC, it has advantage on Dexterity saving throws, and it gains an additional action on each of its turns. That action can be used only to take the Attack (one weapon attack only), Dash, Disengage, Hide, or Use an Object action.

You can use this ability twice, and regain all uses at the end of a long rest.

Wanderlust a unique bonus to set this subclass apart from other options. It is also more useful if you're multiclassing with Monk or Barbarian, as you probably have the weapon proficiencies you want and can't stack your unarmed defense with heavy armor anyway.

You also get a near-permanent traveling buddy, so I went with a bunch of thematic travel spells. I'm not sure how to handle the mount's attack though. I've removed the warhorse option to keep the attack from being quite as strong, and it's your main combat benefit until 17th level. Despite not using a spell slot, it does interfere with your spiritual weapon, it it isn't a terrible issue. I've considered pushing it back to 6th level.

I'm not sure what to put for the divine strike except to also grant it to the mount. And bonus, special haste at 17th level, because traveling faster in battle fits quite nicely.

Edit: wrote out the 6th level feature cleaner. Forgot at one point clerics get one and edited it out.

JNAProductions
2019-09-22, 11:59 AM
Overall, feels just a midge too powerful. Mostly in the mount.

I can't think of anything specific to nerf a bit, but if you were wondering "Is this a little much?" my gut says yes, it is.

Feels cool, though!

sandmote
2019-09-22, 01:25 PM
Overall, feels just a midge too powerful. Mostly in the mount.

I can't think of anything specific to nerf a bit, but if you were wondering "Is this a little much?" my gut says yes, it is.

Feels cool, though! Would removing the saving throw proficiency and reducing the additional hit dice to half your cleric level work? If the mount is easier to kill it'll not only be lost mid combat more often, but also take up more uses of your channel divinity (to get it back).