PDA

View Full Version : Method or Item to gain proficiency in Persuasion

Gignere
2019-09-20, 09:05 PM
So I have a level 8 wizard and he is loaded down with magical loot unfortunately most is stuff he can’t use. With XGTE and the rules to buy and sell magic items I found not taking persuasion and dumping charisma a bad idea now.

Is there any relatively painless way to either get proficiency or gain charisma bonus to persuasion rolls? DM has ruled that anything that doesn’t last at least 8 hours will not apply to buying and selling items.

So far all I have is grabbing a luckstone and attune it before shopping.

JumboWheat01
2019-09-20, 09:08 PM
The quickest way that pops up in my head is taking a level of Bard or Rogue, and snagging Persuasion as your free skill. Though it probably won't be Bard since your Charisma is low.

Lunali
2019-09-20, 11:29 PM
Lowest cost method, skilled hireling. Other likely choices would be multiclass, feat, or convince your DM to allow downtime training of skills.

diplomancer
2019-09-21, 04:37 AM
Since it's downtime, you can (just barely at level 8) cast enhance ability 8 times to get the duration to 8 hours. Would that work? You even help your comrades with 5 of the castings.

Edit: Heck, I was sure enhance ability was on the wizard's spell list; apparently it's one of the very few spells sorcerers get and wozards don't. Maybe have a party member cast it on you

Gignere
2019-09-21, 05:08 AM
Since it's downtime, you can (just barely at level 8) cast enhance ability 8 times to get the duration to 8 hours. Would that work? You even help your comrades with 5 of the castings.

Edit: Heck, I was sure enhance ability was on the wizard's spell list; apparently it's one of the very few spells sorcerers get and wozards don't. Maybe have a party member cast it on you

Unfortunately I need bonuses more than I need advantage. It’s 30+ DC to get on the list to buy stuff that’s any good.

diplomancer
2019-09-21, 06:17 AM
Unfortunately I need bonuses more than I need advantage. It’s 30+ DC to get on the list to buy stuff that’s any good.

Then proficiency is not good enough, especially with bad charisma, you need expertise. Your options are 1 level rogue or prodigy feat (or skilled hireling, as pointed out)

Aprender
2019-09-21, 07:13 AM
People who own Picassos don't sell their painting when they want to, they hire experts to sell their paintings.

People who own fancy homes don't (usually) sell their own home, they hire experts to do so.

People with a spouse they don't want to be married to anymore hire experts for the divorce.

Mid-to-high-level Adventurers who have high value items shouldn't haggle at the table, they should "hire an expert" to sell their goods. That is, talk to your DM away from table and figure something out. The DM and you can factor in a reasonable sale price and a reasonable commission and no one at the table has to hear the whining/wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Wildarm
2019-09-21, 08:57 AM
So I have a level 8 wizard and he is loaded down with magical loot unfortunately most is stuff he can’t use. With XGTE and the rules to buy and sell magic items I found not taking persuasion and dumping charisma a bad idea now.

Is there any relatively painless way to either get proficiency or gain charisma bonus to persuasion rolls? DM has ruled that anything that doesn’t last at least 8 hours will not apply to buying and selling items.

Swap downtime with the party face. Wizards can easily make scrolls/wands/potions during downtime and the other player with a decent persuasion can sell your items and you can make him some items at at cost so they get a 50% discount.

Erys
2019-09-21, 09:09 AM

A luckstone isn't really worth it for trying to buy and sell wares.

Do you not have someone in the party to act as a face for such transactions?

Gignere
2019-09-21, 09:44 AM

No unfortunately the other peeps in the party is barbarian and Druid and I have the highest bonus with persuasion at a whopping +0. Also 31 DC isn’t that hard to hit because you can spend more time or money finding a seller to get up to +10 bonus. I do like the idea of hiring an expert to buy and sell my loot.

Gignere
2019-09-21, 09:48 AM

The luckstone is the difference between qualifying for a good list on a roll of 20 and never able to qualify.

NNescio
2019-09-21, 09:53 AM
No unfortunately the other peeps in the party is barbarian and Druid and I have the highest bonus with persuasion at a whopping +0. Also 31 DC isn’t that hard to hit because you can spend more time or money finding a seller to get up to +10 bonus. I do like the idea of hiring an expert to buy and sell my loot.

Hopefully the Druid should have Guidance and Enhance Ability.

Erys
2019-09-21, 10:02 AM

WOW, no one thought to get persuasion?

I bet no one makes that mistake again, hehe.

The luckstone is the difference between qualifying for a good list on a roll of 20 and never able to qualify.

Fair enough.

5% is better than 0% for sure.

Maybe someone will have to invest in the Skilled Feat? Might be the only non-multiclass route that is reliable.

Gignere
2019-09-21, 10:10 AM
Hopefully the Druid should have Guidance and Enhance Ability.

Minimum duration of buffs that can apply is 8 hours so neither of these spells work.

Lunali
2019-09-21, 10:14 AM
Minimum duration of buffs that can apply is 8 hours so neither of these spells work.

If the DM allows recasting, a level 8 druid has slots to keep enhance ability up for 8hrs and guidance is a cantrip.

Yunru
2019-09-21, 11:59 AM
Is there a reason you can't ask the party face to do it for you?
EDIT: Yes, there is. You lack one XD

There's a UA skill feat for it that's quite good, DM allowant.

Slipperychicken
2019-09-21, 01:03 PM
If you dumped charisma already, then proficiency isn't going to be enough. You're still going to suck at it, and you'll be better off getting a face to do this for you.

That said you can take Skilled, or ask your GM about retraining.

Contrast
2019-09-21, 01:26 PM
I would say the solution to your problem lies outside gaining prof in persuasion. Short a complete rebuild you're always going to be mediocre.

Others have pointed out hiring someone else.

Just because Xanathars provides some guidance for DMs doesn't mean that's the only way to get access. You are a powerful wizard with access to powerful magic items. I'm sure there are organisations that would be interested in talking to you about how your efforts and items are utilised. Search them out. Earn favour and respect. Depending what level you are you could even seek out extra-planar markets if necessary.

If the DM is allowing a roll then clearly there is a market in magic item sale to access. I find it difficult to believe being charming is the only way to access it in game.

Erys
2019-09-21, 01:30 PM
Thinking about it: if you are, or have, a human or half elf, you could take the feat Prodigy.

Double proficiency will mitigate that poor CHA score.

Sigreid
2019-09-21, 04:34 PM
Ok, this is admittedly the long way round. Locate a person (must be humanoid) who excels in persuasion. Preferably someone with not only a high charisma, but expertise. Could be helpful if they are already something like a noble or a magic item trafficker. Get hold of some of their hair blood, or a thumb or something through either offering them money or skulduggery. Use that to create a simulacra of them. Send them off to get it.

Bjarkmundur
2019-09-21, 06:32 PM
Bring your DM a six-pack and lose one other proficiency.

Gignere
2019-09-21, 06:42 PM
I was hoping for some obscure magic item like the gloves of thievery that provides a +5 bonus to persuasion checks.

Sigreid
2019-09-21, 07:27 PM
There used to be, and there's no particular reason to not allow it now, a cloak of charisma that worked like gauntlets of ogre power but for charisma.

Lunali
2019-09-21, 09:39 PM
The new adventure has a charm (the magical effect kind, not the magical item kind) that you can get that lets you speak and understand all languages and grants expertise in deception and persuasion until you die. The only downside is that you'll have to make a deal with an archdevil, probably for fealty and/or your soul.