PDA

View Full Version : Incorporeal

FTG82
2019-09-20, 11:04 PM
Okay so. For all you MTG fans out there I got one for you. You know Kaya right? Well I want one of her powers. I want to be able to flip flop between being Corporeal and Incorporeal. I’d prefer an ability. Or something along those lines. Like I’m going to be an attack focus assassin like character. The ghost template is something I’ve looked at and I don’t like that idea because I’m Incorporeal all the time. Any help would be appreciated!

BWR
2019-09-21, 12:33 AM
Don't know the character, but if you want to flip between corporeal and incorporeal I'd go with Blink (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/blink.htm), either casting the spell or from a Ring of Blinking. Possibly Ethereal Jaunt (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/etherealJaunt.htm), but that doesn't allow for flipping in combat.

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-09-21, 12:38 AM
1 level in monk (or possibly in unarmed swordsage), using various means of enhancing your unarmed strikes (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?285801-Tippy-s-Terrifically-Terrible-Trial/page25&p=15474863#post15474863) to add the ghost touch property. Note that it counts as corporeal and incorporeal, whichever is more beneficial, at the same time.

Ghost Touch
A ghost touch weapon deals damage normally against incorporeal creatures, regardless of its bonus. (An incorporeal creature’s 50% chance to avoid damage does not apply to attacks with ghost touch weapons.) The weapon can be picked up and moved by an incorporeal creature at any time. A manifesting ghost can wield the weapon against corporeal foes. Essentially, a ghost touch weapon counts as either corporeal or incorporeal at any given time, whichever is more beneficial to the wielder.

Moderate conjuration; CL 9th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, plane shift; Price +1 bonus.

:smallamused:

Thurbane
2019-09-21, 01:03 AM
The Phantom template (MM5 p.130) does exactly this.

It's is LA --, so you'd need to ask your DM if it's OK to play one, and have the DM assign an LA.

FTG82
2019-09-21, 02:07 AM
The Phantom template (MM5 p.130) does exactly this.

It's is LA --, so you'd need to ask your DM if it's OK to play one, and have the DM assign an LA.

That’s exactly what I’m looking for! But I’m not going to get it right off the back for a few reason. 1: story wise I’m a rogue who has a homebrew necklace on that our paladin can active to knock me out. (Can also detect when I’m doing something evil (not how evil it is. So it can be stealing candy to mass murder and he wouldn’t know the difference) and also the direction I am in) so my character had this wonderful idea that if they gain the ability to become incorporeal then they can slip out of the necklace (it doesn’t have to be that way really just motivation for my character to get the powers) 2: I have a ****ing lawful good paladin basically attached to me and I don’t think he’d like it if I went Incorporeal. 3: my dm wants us to work for templates other wise he’s usually okay with them.

So I guess what I’m saying is this. The book didn’t really tell me how to get the template. So any ideas?

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-09-21, 09:59 AM
So I guess what I’m saying is this. The book didn’t really tell me how to get the template. So any ideas?I think you'd have to pay a spellcaster to body-swap you with a creature with the template, or beg the DM for an item that grants the template (similarly to how an item in Tome of Magic grants the dark creature template).

Alternatively, a level of monk (or two of swordsage) and enhance your body with ghost touch via the monk's unarmed strike. If you're a warforged with magically enhanceable body armor or can otherwise treat yourself as a magic item (via grafts, or maybe via a psychoactive skin), you could enhance your body with the ghost touch effect for +4,000 gp, as per either Savage Species or the A&EG (can't recall which).

Is the necklace cursed? If so, purchase some spellcasting services to get rid of it, along with the services of a silversmith or goldsmith to make a replica so the paladin doesn't think to try to screw you over by forcing another one on you.

PraxisVetli
2019-09-21, 02:32 PM
If you allow Path of War content, which is DSP's Pathfinder version of Tome of Battle, Veiled Moon maneuvers involve incorporeality a lot.
The 3rd level Boos, Ghostwalk, lets you be incorporeal for a turn.

That said, Phantom template is absolutely WICKED, and worth the effort your DM may put you through.

PoeticallyPsyco
2019-09-21, 03:45 PM
The Wendigo template (Fiend Folio) has the Wind Walk ability, which is exactly what you're looking for: letting you switch between incorporeal and corporeal at-will. LA +4 is pretty hefty, but it does come with some other nice stuff.

Thurbane
2019-09-21, 04:13 PM
So I guess what I’m saying is this. The book didn’t really tell me how to get the template. So any ideas?

It's not really defined anywhere how the template is acquired.

Savage Species (p.149) has details for the Ritual of Transfiguration, which makes a character incorporeal. I'd use that as a guideline: it come's with a +2 LA for "always on" incorporealness, so maybe +3 for the ability to switch back and forth?

FTG82
2019-09-21, 10:42 PM
Is the necklace cursed? If so, purchase some spellcasting services to get rid of it, along with the services of a silversmith or goldsmith to make a replica so the paladin doesn't think to try to screw you over by forcing another one on you.

Yes it’s cursed and I know lol. I know multiple ways to get it off. We’re putting a high DC save on the pick lock. It’s actually my idea it’s for fun and it gives a roleplay point. So my character is going to come up with different ways and try and get away from the paladin and try the idea. Basically he’s trying to make me some kind of good and I’m either trying to escape or make him evil

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-09-21, 10:47 PM
Yes it’s cursed and I know lol. I know multiple ways to get it off. We’re putting a high DC save on the pick lock. It’s actually my idea it’s for fun and it gives a roleplay point. So my character is going to come up with different ways and try and get away from the paladin and try the idea. Basically he’s trying to make me some kind of good and I’m either trying to escape or make him evilI hope it's immune to knock, at least, since that's a really cheap way to physically remove it.

Zaq
2019-09-22, 12:37 PM
Is being ethereal good enough? Going relatively deep into binder (ToM) lets you bind Chupoclops, who lets you go ethereal as a move action every 5 rounds. (If you do nothing but take 5-ft steps, you can stay ethereal indefinitely, which is sweet.) Alternatively, getting the shoulders bind of the phase cloak (MoI) means that you go ethereal whenever you use a move action to move 5’ or more.

A high-level ninja (CAdv) can turn ethereal with ki step. A high-level monk with Invisible Fist (EoE) can use blink as an immediate action every few rounds.