PDA

View Full Version : Cleric with a Familiar?

Kantolin
2007-10-15, 04:24 AM
Is it possible for a cleric to have a familiar, preferably with a feat?

ZeroNumerous
2007-10-15, 04:26 AM
Obtain Familiar(Comp.Arc.) gives you a familiar. Though I don't see why a cleric would want one since the cleric's spell list lacks all the necessary boosts a familiar needs to be usable.

Kantolin
2007-10-15, 04:31 AM
Huh... I thought obtain familiar required you to be an arcane spellcaster of third or so level. I was looking for something similar that could be taken by a pure cleric.

(Unless I am completely wrong in my memory? I thought it required ranks in knowledge(arcana) and then arcane spellcaster of some lowish number?)

bugsysservant
2007-10-15, 04:38 AM
Huh... I thought obtain familiar required you to be an arcane spellcaster of third or so level. I was looking for something similar that could be taken by a pure cleric.

(Unless I am completely wrong in my memory? I thought it required ranks in knowledge(arcana) and then arcane spellcaster of some lowish number?)

Nope, four ranks and third level (arcane) spell casting. Though there may still be a feat which would allow a divine caster to take one.

Kantolin
2007-10-15, 05:00 AM
four ranks and third level (arcane) spell casting.

That's what I was afraid of... I'd really like to avoid stepping into an arcane spellcaster with this. It seems surprisingly difficult to end up with a familiar as a cleric unless you do so, sadly.

Anyone who knows of such a feat (or possibly, a variant) is much appreciated.

Khanderas
2007-10-15, 06:06 AM
If your cleric is somehow special in the eyes of your god (or has a special mission), perhaps he sends a bound lantern archon your way or something. Could be good, could be bad (good for bonus lightsource and maybe a +stat bonus (like a toads +2 con for wizards), bad as in you cannot really put the bastard away because that would offend your god.
Would be alittle gloryhogging though, stealing the spotlight and such.

Darrin
2007-10-15, 08:20 AM
Is it possible for a cleric to have a familiar, preferably with a feat?

A two-level dip into Mystic Wanderer (Magic of Faerun) will allow you to Summon Familiar and preserve your divine casting levels. Requires Iron Will (useless), though. There may be other PrCs with a similar feature.

Otherwise, if you want to use Obtain Familiar... Magical Training (FRCS) and Practiced Spellcaster (Comp.Arc/Div) might give you the necessary arcane caster level, but your cleric levels wouldn't count towards your familiar abilities (unless you took Alternative Source Spell, Dragon #325). But that's a lot of feats just to pick up "Alertness".

Riffington
2007-10-15, 10:34 AM
Be an Adept.

Starsinger
2007-10-15, 11:00 AM
I can almost guarantee you, Kantolin does not want a familiar for any mechanical reason known to man. Although.. Deliver Touch spells does make a familiar helpful for mid-combat healing/stabilizing.

I suppose the obvious solutions, asking the DM for one, maybe at the cost of a domain power, or making up a feat are out of the question.. so let me see...

Yeah.. I got nothin, sorry Kants

BardicDuelist
2007-10-15, 12:19 PM
I would jsut say house ruling that you give up one domain (spells and power) for a familiar associated with your diety and have it advance as if you were a wizard equal to your cleric level.

The domain power might be enough, though.

Curmudgeon
2007-10-15, 12:44 PM
I don't see any straightforward way to get a familiar. But if you've got enough Use Magic Device skill you can get a scroll of the Druid spell Awaken, and make a smart animal friend who will accompany you and converse with you. If you want something like the familiar's ability to deliver spells, there's the Clerical Imbue with Spell Ability.

It's some of the flavor of having a familiar, just not the substance.

Kantolin
2007-10-15, 03:31 PM
Curses, I don't think Mystic Wanderer will be accepted. I didn't think there was one, but I figured the board might know of one I missed.

Oh, well. Thanks anyway, all. ^_^