PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Construct-typed cohort

Kaleph
2019-09-21, 12:51 PM
I want to build a constructor as my next PC, and I'm interested in thematically fitting feats; skin of the construct is, for example, very tempting from the flavor perspective.

Besides the astral constructs I'll create, it would be nice to have a mechanical bodyguard always at hand (if someone played it, sort of combat familiar as in lands of lore 3).

So, what I'm looking for is a wild cohort-styled feat that offers a construct as faithful companion; assuming that the same splatbooks are on the table as for the iron chef challenge, which options are available? If none, is there something published somewhere in other sources (dungeon/dragon, KoK...)?

EDIT: to think of it, at least one solution exists: leadership+maug cohort. Happy to hear further suggestions...

Thurbane
2019-09-21, 04:37 PM
Well, at a minimum, Improved Familar can get you a Homunculus (and there are several Eberron variations on the base Homunculus).

Other than that, I'm not aware of any feats that specifically give a construct-type cohort. Leadership would let you pick up anything with a listed (cohort) ECL. You could have a Warforged cohort, for instance. Or Maug, as you mentioned. There's aren't a lot of constructs with an ECL out there, but there certainly are some.

Constructs with a cohort ECL:

Helmed Horror (LEoF) 16
Maug (FF) 5
Quesar (BoED) 17
Wargorged (MM3) = class levels
Warforged Charger (MM3) 8
Warforged Scout (MM3) = class levels

...fairly certain there's more I've missed.

A Rod of Construct Control (A&EG p.125) allows you to give a non-intelligent construct orders as if you were its creator.

Kaleph
2019-09-21, 06:12 PM
Well, at a minimum, Improved Familar can get you a Homunculus (and there are several Eberron variations on the base Homunculus).

Other than that, I'm not aware of any feats that specifically give a construct-type cohort. Leadership would let you pick up anything with a listed (cohort) ECL. You could have a Warforged cohort, for instance. Or Maug, as you mentioned. There's aren't a lot of constructs with an ECL out there, but there certainly are some.

Constructs with a cohort ECL:

Helmed Horror (LEoF) 16
Maug (FF) 5
Quesar (BoED) 17
Wargorged (MM3) = class levels
Warforged Charger (MM3) 8
Warforged Scout (MM3) = class levels

...fairly certain there's more I've missed.

A Rod of Construct Control (A&EG p.125) allows you to give a non-intelligent construct orders as if you were its creator.

Thanx; homunculus was also my bet, but it makes sense only with craft construct.

In the meantime I'm becoming more and more convinced that the shaper provides an early entry RAW to the techsmith of Gond, which would be kinda major achievement...

ShurikVch
2019-09-21, 06:33 PM
Some more possible Cohorts:

ECL
Construct
Source

Exiled Modron
Dragon #354

Conscious Scarecrow
Dragon #355

Zelekhut
SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/inevitable.htm#zelekhut)

Blackroot Marauder
Dragon Compendium

Nimblewright
Monster Manual II (with 3.5 update)

CIDE
2019-09-21, 07:06 PM
Nimblewrights are specifically called out as working as mercenaries.

unseenmage
2019-09-21, 08:50 PM
Give a fleshy NPC a golem limb, watch them fail their save, and bam Construct.

Commanding it could be problematic though.

Kaleph
2019-09-22, 12:13 PM
Thanx for the suggestions so far; not very surprising that leadership is not only the solution to the problem, but also a very open-ended one...