PDA

View Full Version : Pulp Cthulhu: Ghostbusters?

Tokuhara
2019-09-21, 01:10 PM
So I am fully aware that Call/Pulp Cthulhu is a super serious game about super serious horror, but looking over the rules in broad strokes, how difficult would it be to adapt Pulp Cthulhu for the almost campy Ghostbusters films from the 80's (no, I'm not including the most recent film)?

Mutazoia
2019-09-22, 08:39 AM
Get your hands on a copy of the old "Ghostbusters" rpg, and then write up some stats for the Cthulhu mythos using said rules?

Tokuhara
2019-09-22, 09:07 AM
I was talking the other way around. Idea was to use Pulp Cthulhu rules to play Ghostbusters. Sorry for any confusion.

Mutazoia
2019-09-22, 09:25 AM
I was talking the other way around. Idea was to use Pulp Cthulhu rules to play Ghostbusters. Sorry for any confusion.

So...same concept, just work it the other way around.

I just remembered...there was an old crossover done by a 3rd party called "Collect Call of Cthulhu".

Tokuhara
2019-09-22, 10:43 AM

I just remembered...there was an old crossover done by a 3rd party called "Collect Call of Cthulhu".

Funny enough, that was an episode from the Real Ghostbusters TV show. Plot revolved around the Necronomicon being stolen from a public library, then shenanigans insue. Wouldn't mind the shift to a more comedic tone, but still being dark (think The Burbs) set in the early 00's where the events of Ghostbusters 1, 2, and the Game are canon. Just was more worried about Sanity than anything. Because with few Eldritch Horrors that rend the minds of mere mortals and more "run of the mill" ghosts, Sanity becomes far less valuable

Mutazoia
2019-09-22, 06:44 PM
Funny enough, that was an episode from the Real Ghostbusters TV show. Plot revolved around the Necronomicon being stolen from a public library, then shenanigans insue. Wouldn't mind the shift to a more comedic tone, but still being dark (think The Burbs) set in the early 00's where the events of Ghostbusters 1, 2, and the Game are canon. Just was more worried about Sanity than anything. Because with few Eldritch Horrors that rend the minds of mere mortals and more "run of the mill" ghosts, Sanity becomes far less valuable

The Ghostbusters RPG and a "cool" stat, which would be an equivalent of a sanity stat.

Sutekh
2019-09-22, 10:47 PM

Reminds me of the YouTube series "Calls for Cthulhu" :D

Tokuhara
2019-09-23, 07:47 AM
What I'm saying is that I don't suspect the PCs losing Sanity, so the PCs are in less danger than in CoC.

So what I'm seeing is that Pulp Cthulhu should work with a few reskins and conversion of the ghosts and gear and I should be okay to run the game. Main reason to use PC is that I can't easily get my hands on the Ghost Die required for Ghostbusters RPG, and I'd like my PCs to "feel" as clever as the Proper Ghostbusters.

Duff
2019-10-02, 08:31 PM
I'm not seeing what the Cthulhu system brings to the game*.
It's "monsters" work differently to Ghosts
It lacks rules for busting ghosts and trapping them
It's tone is well off

So you could use it as a chassis, but from what I can see, you could as easily use D20 modern or WOD or any other game with a modern setting with equal ease (or maybe more given the tone issues).

* edit to add - unless Cthulhu is a system your group know well and like.