PDA

View Full Version : What party level is appropriate for this character?

Particle_Man
2019-09-22, 02:20 AM
I had an idea for an ecl 20 character that would be hilariously weak if in a twentieth level adventuring party but I am not sure what level it would fit. So let me know what you think! What level party would this character best fit into?

He would be the LN totally devoted son of an LE green dragon mother (his father was a half-ogre, a former servant of hers that was set to betray her to some adventurers, and thus was eaten while the boy was young). She is reasonably satisfied with his loyalty, but partly to restrict his sorcerous abilities and partly to see what happens, has ordered him to seek out and consume the comet dust that makes one into the Green Star Adept (from Complete Arcane). He obeys his mother without question.

So, stat-wise, I am looking at half-dragon (green) half-ogre (races of destiny other half-human). This gives the character an LA of +5! I would take three levels of the half-dragon paragon class from Unearthed Arcana (I need the hp!) and then two levels of sorcerer, and then go for GSA for the last 10 levels. With a generous 32 point buy I would start out with Str 28 (+14), Dex 12 (-2), Con 14 (+4), Int 14, Wis 14, Chr: 14. Improve str twice and (then I am not sure; perhcance whatever has an odd number at the time?). Perhaps after his mother is slain, he might seek out the empire that his human grandmother was allegedly a servant of, and offer his service there.

I am not sure about spell choice yet, although Repair Serious Damage is obvious for a third level spell. I might even take Craft Wand!

Speaking of feats, I need Combat Casting and Multi-Attack (and Improved Multi-Attack) would be a good idea. Hover is cool. And there is a feat that gives you a secondary tail attack if you take it at chargen (called Dragon Tail). So I guess that is my six feats (I don't get the 7th feat pre-epic due to the +5 Level Adjustment).

Thematically it can work: There is a reason for the character to take a suboptimal prestige class, Green Half-Dragon and Green Star Adept have a symmetry, a 14 con and large size means that losing my con score at level 15 (ECL 20) will not change my hp negatively. And both the paragon class and GSA increases sorcerer caster level so I would end up having a familiar as a 2nd level sorcerer (probably a weasel for a dex save), spells known and spell slots as a 7th level sorcerer, and a caster level of a 15th level sorcerer.

As a large character I would have a fly speed of 60. I would also end up with a claw/claw/bite/slam/slam natural attack routine, which is needed since my final BAB will be +10, modified to +9 due to size.

So this is not a powerhouse character. Could be a fun one though. I could either use natural attacks or fly up and throw javelins from a distance, as needed. I also can more easliy get spot, listen, move silently and hide (ok, not so great for large creatures) because of the paragon class.

Languages: Common, Draconic, Giant, and Goblin.

noce
2019-09-22, 04:25 AM
At ECL range 15 - 20, you'll be arguably better than an equal ECL pure fighter or barbarian, thanks to casting and immunities.
But who does really go pure fighter?

At any ECL before 15, you're too underleveled to face ECL appropriate encounters.

OGDojo
2019-09-22, 06:05 AM
honestly the character seems sound. i mean not as a spellcaster but his casting ability is well short of what he needs to be a full caster, as per the rules you need to have at least a 19 in the ability score you use for casting spells in order for you to cast spells of that level (most characters pick that ability score to be their highest so that even if they get a 15, by level 20 they have a 19 in it) because you have an int of 14 in your int and wis stat, im gunna assume you can only cast 4th level spells. meaning as a pure spellcaster its probably best that you stay within level 10-15 if you dont wanna feel completely useless. however if your building him as a roleplay character and dont much care about combat, using him in a level 15-20 party should be fine. but if i were you i would increase his int as high as he can get by level 20 (so probably 17 or 18) so you can at least cast higher level spells and make sure to utilize the scribe scroll feat, the more scrolls you make the better off you will be, especially if you use those scrolls for spells that you can pump out lots of. you could also sell those spells and gain some extra money on your journey.

TLDR: level 10-15, 16-20 if you increase nothing except your intelligence for all of your ability score increases

Particle_Man
2019-09-22, 12:24 PM
Well the way this character works, his charisma is the casting stat (being a sorcerer), and due to weirdness, he would be 2nd level (for the purpose of the familiar), 7th level (for the purpose of spell slots and spells knows, so knows only up to 3rd level spells and has only up to 3rd level spell slots), and 15th level (for the spell caster level, so if I cast a 3rd level spell it is as a 15th level caster).

So a 14 in my casting stat (charisma) is enough for my measly spell slots. At least I can use the wands and staffs available to sorcerers, without needing UMD. But spellcasting is more a garnish than a main drive. I am more the Really Strong Flying dude that can cast a few spells, then the Awesome Caster that happens to be a Really Strong Flying Dude.

Kelb_Panthera
2019-09-22, 07:35 PM
Plugging in your numbers and calculating attack, damage, ac, and saves; I'd put it on about level 15~16. WBL -might- bring it up another level. It's definitely not up to snuff for a lvl 20 warrior.

You can stretch it a bit with battle sorcerer for extra HP, buying off one point of LA (you can do that at your current level and get another class level in), and swapping that last level of GSA for literally anything else. Seriously, GSA 10 is -awful- for warrior builds.