PDA

View Full Version : OOTS #293 - The Discussion Thread

Pages : 1 [2]

Tomada
2006-03-16, 12:15 AM
I need to wait till morning...

but alright. I *hate* sppppoooky wizards that make my OOTS late! But I find it nice they pay him, so he can keep up the good work.

I think I will have to cope with that

glasseye
2006-03-16, 01:02 AM
Maybe the wizard can do my final exam tomorrow so I can stay up to ready OOTS? :D

tothecornfield
2006-03-16, 01:04 AM
It's after 12. Let the refreshing begin!

Nightmarenny
2006-03-16, 01:07 AM
Its 9 here.

Rei_Jin
2006-03-16, 01:29 AM
And it's 4:30 in the Afternoon on Thursday here in Rainy Down Town Sydney Australia.

NovaNightmare
2006-03-16, 01:31 AM
Its 9 here.

you must also be from the West coast?

Tabmow
2006-03-16, 01:35 AM
And it's 4:30 in the Afternoon on Thursday here in Rainy Down Town Sydney Australia.

Wow, a rainy Sydney? Crazy stuff.

Theodoxus
2006-03-16, 01:37 AM

Ooh! What'd the US do tomorrow? (I love freaky temporal stuff..)

Seriously though, good comic, can't wait til the next one (hopefully before I fall asleep in my chair in the next few minutes) and... dang it, I forgot what else I was gonna type...

/reads the bottom of the thread...

Oh yeah! I flew into Minneapolis St Paul once... wasn't anything special, other than they still had some snow on the ground in May. I'm not so sure KS was wrong there... snow in May, and not in the mountains... Wisconsin is freaky :) Oh wait, that's Minnesota... never mind.

Its been a long day, and what with the temporalness of the previous post and talking about freezy places... yeah - shutting up now... /refreshes comic.

Night all.

Theo

Rei_Jin
2006-03-16, 01:39 AM
Yeah, strangely enough Australia isn't all Desert, just 75% of it. It doesn't rain here often, but we do get rain, and the odd flood as well. We even have RIVERS

*oohh, aaahhh*

ARMOURERERIC
2006-03-16, 01:53 AM
Wow, a rainy Sydney? Crazy stuff.

Heck, I just had to deal with winter blizzard conditions in suburban San Diego last weekend.

Bakta
2006-03-16, 02:00 AM
Yeah, strangely enough Australia isn't all Desert, just 75% of it. It doesn't rain here often, but we do get rain, and the odd flood as well. We even have RIVERS

*oohh, aaahhh*

Well, wrestling with crocodiles isn't as much fun on dry land, isn't it?. Or is that croc hunter bloke from New Zealand :P?

Tabmow
2006-03-16, 02:14 AM

*oohh, aaahhh*

Well, right, wasn't trying to stereotype too heavily. I was just there over the summer (our summer, June '05) and, at the time, you were in the middle of a rather serious drought. Didn't know if it'd let up or not, since, from what I was told, it had lasted years.

Nightmarenny
2006-03-16, 04:02 AM
you must also be from the West coast?
Yes, Yes I am.

Charity322
2006-03-16, 04:34 AM
Well, wrestling with crocodiles isn't as much fun on dry land, isn't it?. Or is that croc hunter bloke from New Zealand :P?

No way! :P We have absolutely no connection with him at all. ;D

Denizen_Smith
2006-03-16, 04:56 AM
8:55am in snowy UK

Love the comic, Giant, but the waiting is torture!

Albion
2006-03-16, 05:01 AM
Righto. 11am in tropical Finland.

Hawkeye
2006-03-16, 05:02 AM
*check's out the window

nope it's not snowing here

nerve
2006-03-16, 05:07 AM
10 a.m. in frosty germany - frustrated at work without hope for the next 8 hours :'(

Life is Pain!

Paragon_Kobold
2006-03-16, 05:08 AM
10am on a beautiful winter day in Oslo.

battleburn
2006-03-16, 05:12 AM
10:12 in clouded Holland

The Netherlands rule!!!!!11

slowly_insane
2006-03-16, 05:17 AM
11:14 a.m in sunny and warm (as it usually is) Cairo, Egypt. Wishing I were somewhere snowy. Or rainy. Australia would be nice. Anyone from the Toowoomba area?

Vargtass
2006-03-16, 05:24 AM
It's interesting how this discussion turned into a worldwide weather broadcast. In case you were wondering, we have lots of snow still in Uppsala, Sweden, although the sun shine from a blue sky (beautiful day, really). It's 10.21, and I will be playing D&D tonight!!! So, you can understand I have a hard time focusing on work at hand (indoors).

However, I find Roy's reaction solidly plausible, and appreciate the added insights into Eugene's personality from this strip. At the same time, I'm really looking forward to future dungeon-crawling (my own and OoTS's).

Jothki
2006-03-16, 06:20 AM
5:20 AM here on the east coast, and its too dark to see what the weather is.

Yeah, I'm hardcore.

Alfryd
2006-03-16, 06:39 AM
...Manipulating others, as The Book of Vile Darkness indicates, is Evil, because it is even more evil than lying. Knowingly endangering innocents' lives is Evil...
Yes, but theoretically the greater good has been served in so doing. The thing is that Roy's reaction to his father subjecting him to this by way of congratulation is more positive than discovering his more compelling motive.

...however, if you yell at him, he might be able to realize that “manipulating others is wrong, and people will REALLY get hurt.”
Again, Roy's reaction to the thought of congratulation strongly suggests he did not have this in mind.

About reasonable—hey, he almost got killed!..
Again, this is an emotional response, not a rational one. Roy concedes that Xykon is the greater threat, so at some level he must recognise the greater good has been served here.

Now that I think of it, my personal theory is that Roy actually feels guilt or shame that he didn't manage to destroy Xykon. But his father is such a prick in person, particularly when rubbing his face in the fact, that he can't bring himself to admit it, so the sentiment rebounds into rage.

If Eugene cared much, he could've casted a single Sending spell, in which he could demand Roy to come to the south...
Slight problem. Sending spells have a material component, and he's incorporeal. (Is this restriction relaxed for spellcasting ghosts? Many illusion spells don't have that restriction, or simply require a focus.) In addition, 'local conditions' on different planes may adversely affect a Sending's odds of success. We also don't know if Eugene ever learnt Sending.

It is now 10:40 in Ireland. Curses!

Archonic Energy
2006-03-16, 06:51 AM
And now Live from the BBC is the weather at 10:52

in east london there is rain. and it looks as if there will be rain for a while to come

back to you Ravenlord.

edit: added next poster... thought it would be funnier

Ravenlord
2006-03-16, 06:55 AM
Good morning Budapest, the exact time is 11:54 and the weather is just lovely! Cloudy alright, but it's warm with light breezes.

Grunjon
2006-03-16, 06:55 AM
4:52 AM here in Memphs, TN...home of Elvis, baby!

It's 55° F here, Overcast, with 62° F as the high and a 30% chance of rain.

Did I get carried away too far? ;D

Just waiting on the next comic. No worries, though, Giant...we appreciate it no matter what (or when).

Shatteredtower
2006-03-16, 07:01 AM
I hope for his sake that the Giant went to bed and decided to get to it in the morning.

The Glyphstone
2006-03-16, 07:03 AM
6:02 AM EST - can't tell what the weather is though, the shades are down and I'm too lazy to get up and walk the 15 feet necessary. It was snowing last night though, in 20-30 second bursts every half-hour.

Leaving for Legalized TorturePrisonSchool now, will happily read the new comic when I get back.

Sean_Barry
2006-03-16, 07:19 AM
It's 6:20 am here: -8 (Cesius) and cloudy in beautiful downtown Ottawa.

Lord Herman
2006-03-16, 07:28 AM
11:25 GMT here in Deventer, the Netherlands. We're having the usual boring Dutch weather. Well, at least it isn't raining.

Wish I was in one of your interesting countries, like Egypt or Norway...

Albion
2006-03-16, 07:38 AM
Or tropical Finland, which actually isn't that tropical at all. Although the sun is shining - offering a small piece of comfort in the cold despair; the spring is indeed coming - and we've been having a full moon at nights, as have all you others in fact. ;D

Oorlof
2006-03-16, 08:04 AM
From Utrecht, the Netherlands (a bit to the west of Deventer), this is Oorlof calling.

Germany: ten po- ehrm, I mean, it's a grey, overcast day, with temperatures +5 degrees C and relatively calm winds, 3 on the Beaufort scale.

Lasombra
2006-03-16, 08:34 AM
Comic will be up pretty late today, close midnight. The Sppppoky Wizard has had me burning the midnight oil again.

damn that wizard! (wait till he falls asleep, then dye his beard pink, that'll show him!) ;D

Lasombra
2006-03-16, 08:37 AM
South England: Something Like 4 degrees celcius, but a -10 wind-chill, was snowing earlier, i think its still trying...

I hate it when its cold :( but at the same time i love it... :P

Nightstallion
2006-03-16, 08:41 AM
Hello, Vienna calling...

It's actually not snowing today, but I'm fairly sure it'll start again tomorrow. Just my kind of weather -- I hope the snow lasts until May! ^_^

Anyway, it's 13:40, and the suspense is slowly becoming unbearable... ;)

Curunir
2006-03-16, 09:03 AM
This worldwide thing is interesting. I'll get to know, where everyone are from:

It's 3.00PM here in Estonia (go find a map and look up, where it is ;) ). The sun is shining and snow is melting. Temperature is +2 celcius.

And now back to the main news.
The world famos comic Order of the Stick is very, very late, causing world wide fears and acts of violancy. We hope the problem to solve soon.

That is all. I am Lord Curunir, the annoying voice in your head.

Thank you.

Wanderlust
2006-03-16, 09:36 AM
It's a chilly 40 F here in Boston. 8:30am, and I just got out of work. Working nights sucks, and if I check in on OoTS while at work I'd get fired. Off to bed, hopefully comic is up when I get up.

ibitak84
2006-03-16, 09:39 AM

*oohh, aaahhh*But they flow BACKWARDS, from the sea UP into the mountains, cause you're on the SOUTHERN hemisphere, right? ;)
Anyhow, there's nothing exciting is going on right now over here in Central Europe.

NEO|Phyte
2006-03-16, 10:04 AM
nothing exciting here in my database class. class is going to start shortly

BiggusGeekus
2006-03-16, 10:09 AM
We need some kind of emoticon for this.

I mean, the comic is free. I don't begrudge the Giant or anything like that. He can post whenever he feels like. But I am nontheless a little curious. I just want to give a little cyber-clearing-of-the-throat kind of thing.

??? doesn't really cover it.
:'( goes too far
>:( is asinine
:P and I've just always hated this one. I never know what it means. Someone's sticking their tounge out at me? If they did that in real life they'd get smacked.

:-* maybe this. Hey Rich! Smooches! What's the revised ETA?

Theodoxus
2006-03-16, 10:12 AM
7:05 MST here in the high desert of New Mexico. It'll be a decent spring-like day in the Southern Rockies, with lots of wind and mild temperatures in the mid to upper 50's (Feirenheit - too lazy to convert it to Celcius for our more sane non-American friends.)

Never got much winter here - which I'm thankful for. There's a reason I don't live where the white stuff is prevalent - no bad feelings to those who enjoy winter activities, I'm just no one of them :)

Off to another glorious day of work. Have fun all.

oh, as an aside, it'd be neat to learn like greetings or something from everyones county.

I'll start: Our official state languages are English: Hello Spanish: Hola and Navajo: Yá'át'ééh (pronounced yah - ah - teh)

Theo

siobharek
2006-03-16, 10:20 AM
It's a brisk -3 Celcius here in Copenhagen, where Thursday's winding down as far as work goes.

Still no comic, but as it's free, I'm not complaining.

abc.d
2006-03-16, 10:22 AM
Still no OOTS? baaah ;x I could write a book called '101 lame excuses' based on OOTS delays already ;x

BiggusGeekus
2006-03-16, 10:32 AM
Still no OOTS? baaah ;x I could write a book called '101 lame excuses' based on OOTS delays already ;x

I bet you'd be late with it.

;D

nerve
2006-03-16, 10:42 AM
ok, here are the lastest news

*Flash*

Cologne/Germany:
something around 5°C with sunny parts, but mainly cloudy and much too cold. It's now 15:45h and I STILL have to work 2 hours (at least I pretend I'm doing so ;D ).

Greetings from the "old europe" to the rest of the world - it's really interessing to see where all the other freaks like me people playing D&D live.

Edit: wrong spelling

DOOM2099
2006-03-16, 10:53 AM
lalalala

I can wait

I can wait

I can't really wait

Shatteredtower
2006-03-16, 10:54 AM
It's 3.00PM here in Estonia (go find a map and look up, where it is ;) ).

Hey, I've know where Paul Keres was born for a long time. ;)

And for the sake of consistency, it's currently 0751hrs on an atypically overcast day in Calgary, with a temperature of -5 degrees Centigrade and every outside surface bathed in snow and frost.

But for the sake of bringing us back to the point of this thread, I wonder what the weather's like in Azure City right now? ;)

evileeyore
2006-03-16, 10:58 AM
We need some kind of emoticon for this.

I mean, the comic is free. I don't begrudge the Giant or anything like that. He can post whenever he feels like. But I am nontheless a little curious. I just want to give a little cyber-clearing-of-the-throat kind of thing.

??? doesn't really cover it.

It would if you were confused. In this context I might use it as the last post from RIch declared a post midnight deadline... and Midnight was 10 hours ago... for me (and I'm in the same time zone as Rich).

:'( goes too far

Not if the comic's tardiness was truly causing haertbreak and wracking sobs of torment. But I agree, here it is too much.

>:( is asinine

However no doubt many feel that way.

:P and I've just always hated this one. I never know what it means. Someone's sticking their tounge out at me? If they did that in real life they'd get smacked.

It is actually a sign high humor not "sticking their tongue at you" in a raspberry fashion. It is a "Ha-ha that is so funny, here is my tongue lolling out of my mouth". At least thats how I take it, and thats how the messenger icons look...

:-* maybe this. Hey Rich! Smooches! What's the revised ETA?

Be careful. Some one might accuse you of butt kssing. But then who really cares about them?

See hey Rich... :-* another kiss to "getter dun!"

Antina
2006-03-16, 11:05 AM
Hey - in OUR time-zone:
OOTS is ALWAYS late ;)
(mostly Tuesday - Thursday - Saturday)

But it´s always worth the wait :) Thanks to you, Mr. Giant! :)

Loved Roys statement vs. his "beloved" daddy!

Cobrateen2000
2006-03-16, 11:27 AM
I always thought :P was for sarcasm, or possibly "gross!".

It's a kazillion degrees and rising here in pun hell.

I also hear that it is about 42 degrees F in rainy Washington.

Edit: Sweet! First post (on page 21)!

Splorch
2006-03-16, 12:19 PM
Pretty close on the temp. Might be raining on the west side, but I'm enjoying the sun here :).

Freeman333
2006-03-16, 01:05 PM
Just to keep things consistent, it's 11 A.M. Thurdsay morning (3/16/2006) here in overcast, cloudy Southern Illinois, USA, where I hear there's a 20% chance of rain (so I didn't ride my bike to work today, yay me).

Patience is a virtue.

But then, so are chastity and temperance, and as St. Patrick's Day is coming up tomorrow, I kind of expect I'll be running behind on those two in the immediate future. So, going for the hat trick, I'll sit here on the floor and cry about my comic deprivation. :'( Waaaah! No fair!

The question is, how come the Wizard doesn't wave his wand to provide Rich with unlimited food and shelter for the rest of his life so he could dedicate all his time to providing OotS for us and drinking flavored rum out of the belly-buttons of slender island girls? In the long run, wouldn't this really be best? (And there goes my chastity and temperance, once again.)

theKOT
2006-03-16, 01:09 PM
Cause WOTC demands sweatshop type labor!!!

Who wants to bet that the Giant fell asleep and won't wake up till four cause of how deprived he has been recently?
Hey, it's better than another disaster... And it happened once.

Sylvius
2006-03-16, 01:49 PM
It's 9:48 am here in Vancouver - host city of the 2010 Olympic Winter Games. It's 9°C (48°F), and it should start raining any minute now.

Does anyone know what time-zone Saskatchewan is in this time of year? I'm trying to schedule an appointment.

RedHillian
2006-03-16, 01:54 PM
Well, this seems like as good a point as any for me to start posting. (Hi, I'm RedHillian, etc etc etc)

It's 5.50pm here in Preston in the North West of the UK, and it's just starting to get dark. Today's been cold with light snow fall (not settling), never far off freezing point.

Really, I've got better things to be doing than compulsively hitting f5, but I'm not doing them for some reason - perhaps I should actually go and look for my driving licence.

Feh.

Zaruthustran
Beautiful bright morning here in sunny Seattle. I'm enjoying a fruit drink with an umbrella, and chillin' with my new Oakley shades.

Or not.

Off topic to Sylvius: what's up with the Winter Olympics events already being sold out? I hold you responsible for your city's decisions on ticket allocation. ;)

chaospet
where oh where is our comic?

Chris the Pontifex
2006-03-16, 01:57 PM
10:12 in clouded Holland

The Netherlands rule!!!!!11

still the same
(edit; 19:00h)

Cut it down on the chauvinism, you may be right but youre supposed to be more subtle with that.
Maybe in a discussion on tap water, nudity or tosties you can say such things, not just blab it out like that without any provocation.

humanpylon
2006-03-16, 02:00 PM
Couple things. I'm absolutely amazed with how many countries are represented on this forum. I had no idea the strip was this popular internationally. I thought it was mostly North America and the UK.

Along the same line, I'm blown away with how well everybody speaks (or writes I guess) English! I know many of us North Americans are clods when it comes to second languages.

Heck I'm from Canada where we supposedly have two official languages but try to find anyone west of Ontario fluent in French.

Seriously, if Rich was European and the strip and forum were in German or Russian or Finnish or anything like that, I and most people I know wouldn't have a hope of understanding it.

So Kudos to all the multilinguals out there. I wish my country gave other languages the same importance.

By the way, its sunny and one degree celcius in Fernie BC ;D

theKOT
2006-03-16, 02:17 PM
76 and cloudy in AZ.

Oh, and just because no one knows French doesn't mean they aren't bilingual. There are, yaknow, other languages. ;) From what I've heard from my Canadian friend, it's because they hate Quebec. Or something like that....

Albion
2006-03-16, 02:21 PM
Along the same line, I'm blown away with how well everybody speaks (or writes I guess) English! I know many of us North Americans are clods when it comes to second languages.

Heck I'm from Canada where we supposedly have two official languages but try to find anyone west of Ontario fluent in French.

Seriously, if Rich was European and the strip and forum were in German or Russian or Finnish or anything like that, I and most people I know wouldn't have a hope of understanding it.

So Kudos to all the multilinguals out there. I wish my country gave other languages the same importance.

Well as for Finland, we have two official languages as well , but I wish a third of us spoke Swedish fluently. Europe doesn't have a "common language" other than English, but nowadays we need to communicate more than before with each other, so...

On the other hand, I think german and french are simultaneously going down a bit in appreciation... oh well!

76 and cloudy in AZ.

Oh, and just because no one knows French doesn't mean they aren't bilingual. There are, yaknow, other languages. ;) From what I've heard from my Canadian friend, it's because they hate Quebec. Or something like that....

Oh yes. Correct me if I'm wrong, but bilingual means you're pretty much born with two languages? I am. ;D Forgive my vanity.

BiggusGeekus
2006-03-16, 02:27 PM
Well as for Finland, we have two official languages as well , but I wish a third of us spoke Swedish fluently. Europe doesn't have a "common language" other than English, but nowadays we need to communicate more than before with each other, so...

Yeah, a good chunk of international air traffic accidents are caused by either a pilot or tower control person not speaking English well enough. Apparently nobody really likes having to use English as a standard, but nobody has a better idea.

On the other hand, I think german and french are simultaneously going down a bit in appreciation... oh well!

I agree, I think French is beautiful. And you can swear in German better than you can in English! :)

Anyway .... 53F/11C in beautiful Washington, DC!

theKOT
2006-03-16, 02:34 PM
Oh yes. Correct me if I'm wrong, but bilingual means you're pretty much born with two languages? I am. ;D Forgive my vanity.
No. It simply means that you speak to languages. Besides, it has been proven that people who are raised from birth with more than one language are more likely to have trouble speaking any language correctly. Obviously, that is not that case with you, but I'm just saying being "born with" two languages isn't always a good thing.

metalphil
2006-03-16, 02:37 PM
Cut it down on the chauvinism, you may be right but youre supposed to be more subtle with that.
Maybe in a discussion on tap water, nudity or tosties you can say such things, not just blab it out like that without any provocation.

Haha, I have family that lives in the Netherlands and frankly I agree with the not-so-subtle sentiments above. =P

12:35 pm and 30°F (0°C) (in partly cloudy Wausau, WI. No comic yet, damn that spooky Wizard. =P

humanpylon
2006-03-16, 02:41 PM
76 and cloudy in AZ.

Oh I know there are other languages ;) but I think that not including people who came here from other countries, there aren't a lot of people west of Ontario fluent in anything other than English. There are a few that are conversant, but I would say most people on this forum speak better english than any of my friends speak any other language. Heck the ESL people on this forum speak better english than some people I know!

theKOT
2006-03-16, 02:43 PM
@^ Yeah, tis true.

@^^Yeah, the Netherlands roxxors! They have the best tap water ever, and the forests are so beautiful.... sigh...

Man, this thread really loses direction if the comic isn't posted on time, doesn't it?

Sylvius
2006-03-16, 02:47 PM
Off topic to Sylvius: what's up with the Winter Olympics events already being sold out? I hold you responsible for your city's decisions on ticket allocation. ;)

How can they be sold out? They haven't even built half of the venues yet. They only just announced the location of the speedskating oval (literally 3 metres from the ocean - get ready for the slowest ice ever made).

And, even if you already had tickets (which I just can't believe), you can't book a hotel that far in advance. No hotel is taking reservations for 2010 yet because they want to gauge the demand before setting prices.

On languages, I value the precision English grants. French just doesn't have enough words to express everything I want to say.

metalphil
2006-03-16, 02:48 PM
Oh I know there are other languages ;) but I think that not including people who came here from other countries, there aren't a lot of people west of Ontario fluent in anything other than English. There are a few that are conversant, but I would say most people on this forum speak better english than any of my friends speak any other language. Heck the ESL people on this forum speak better english than some people I know!

But fortunately monolingualism is curable. ;) I'm learning Swedish right now. SO IN YOUR FACE BUDDY! HAHAHAHAHA!

No really, though. I'm actually going to be studying there for a year come August. :)

Sylvius
2006-03-16, 02:49 PM
Heck the ESL people on this forum speak better english than some people I know!

ESL people often have vastly better grammar than native English speakers, if only beacuse they took the time to learn all the exceptions.

battleburn
2006-03-16, 02:50 PM
??? Forests, in the Netherlands ???

But seriously, when you live in a small country, what's wrong in being a bit proud.

So I see people from Deventer and Utrecht. I'm from Wageningen any other dutch people?? And where from?

BiggusGeekus
2006-03-16, 02:53 PM
How can they be sold out? They haven't even built half of the venues yet. They only just announced the location of the speedskating oval (literally 3 metres from the ocean - get ready for the slowest ice ever made).

And, even if you already had tickets (which I just can't believe), you can't book a hotel that far in advance. No hotel is taking reservations for 2010 yet because they want to gauge the demand before setting prices.

On languages, I value the precision English grants. French just doesn't have enough words to express everything I want to say.

Oh! Hey dude! What's up? It's Becker!

prometheusx
2006-03-16, 02:56 PM
Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places, but is Rich OK?

The last time the comic was this late in coming, there was some notice that he was busy or sick or otherwise preoccupied.

If anyone has any news, I'd appreciate it. I hope he is OK.

GKBeetle
2006-03-16, 02:56 PM

Yeah. That's basically because all of us Americans are jerks and refuse to learn other languages, but we have the most disposable income so end up traveling the most. For that reason, everybody else ends up learning English as well to accomodate us. At least that's my theory.

Anyway, it's 0 degrees C or 32 degrees F here in Saginaw, MI.

Sylvius
2006-03-16, 02:57 PM
Oh! Hey dude! What's up? It's Becker!

I spotted you.

I had no idea you were such a Francophile.

battleburn
2006-03-16, 03:03 PM
Yeah. That's basically because all of us Americans are jerks and refuse to learn other languages, but we have the most disposable income so end up traveling the most. For that reason, everybody else ends up learning English as well to accomodate us. At least that's my theory.

Anyway, it's 0 degrees C or 32 degrees F here in Saginaw, MI.
All good movies are in English :P

Chris the Pontifex
2006-03-16, 03:03 PM

But seriously, when you live in a small country, what's wrong in being a bit proud.

So I see people from Deventer and Utrecht. I'm from Wageningen any other dutch people?? And where from?

I guess he means either "parks" or "sweden"

Oh nothing wrong with being proud, I'm pretty proud of living in Amsterdam (add that to your list) myself. Its just that I dont go around jelling "NL rocks!!1one". But rather just say "hey, you say X, well X is even better over here".

BiggusGeekus
2006-03-16, 03:08 PM
I spotted you.

I had no idea you were such a Francophile.

Oh, I love French culture! The movies, the food, how the language sounds.

Their employment policies and economic plans? Eh. Not so much. But they'd doubtless say the same of me.

saraswati
2006-03-16, 03:08 PM
It is 11:07 in the San Francisco Bay Area (California), and I am happy to report that it is raining and cold.

Our official language is Dudespeak, and I greet you good morning: Dude!

metalphil
2006-03-16, 03:11 PM

My sister lives in Voorschoten, or wait.. she just moved to another town in the same area. She teaches in Den Haag. I've been to Den Haag, Amsterdam, Voorschoten, Leiden.. and I think that about covers it.

Oh nothing wrong with being proud, I'm pretty proud of living in Amsterdam (add that to your list) myself. Its just that I dont go around jelling "NL rocks!!1one". But rather just say "hey, you say X, well X is even better over here".
'Cause it's true.

Curunir
2006-03-16, 03:15 PM
I'm worriing about Rick to already. I don't remember the comic being so late, with no news from Rick. I hope he is OK...

Sylvius
2006-03-16, 03:18 PM
Oh, I love French culture! The movies, the food, how the language sounds.

I went to a big French wine tasting event a couple of weeks ago. I overheard the following exchange between an attendee and an Alsatian sommelier:

ATTENDEE: How long has the vineyard used this label?
ALSATIAN: Since 1921.
ATTENDEE: What happened before 1921?
ALSATIAN: We were German.
ATTENDEE: Oh, God help you then.
ALSATIAN: No, God help us now.

It turns out I don't really like French wine. But I am quite fond of German wine.

theKOT
2006-03-16, 03:21 PM
I guess he means either "parks" or "sweden"

Tongeren y'all. It's that tiny area with all the trees. I was there a coupla Christmasses ago when it snowed... So pretty....

Oh, and English is today's world language because three large and powerful countries speak it. Not because people who speak English refuse to learn other languages. The world needs a common context, and today it is English. It was French for a long time, and not because French people refused to learn other languages.

BiggusGeekus
2006-03-16, 03:22 PM
It turns out I don't really like French wine. But I am quite fond of German wine.

The old world wines are a little heavy for my palatte as well. We tend to go for the Austrailian labels.

Of course the best wine is from Virginia, but Mrs. Geekus doesn't like that either. :-/

metalphil
2006-03-16, 03:27 PM
I went to a big French wine tasting event a couple of weeks ago. I overheard the following exchange between an attendee and an Alsatian sommelier:

ATTENDEE: How long has the vineyard used this label?
ALSATIAN: Since 1921.
ATTENDEE: What happened before 1921?
ALSATIAN: We were German.
ATTENDEE: Oh, God help you then.
ALSATIAN: No, God help us now.
Hahahaha! That's absolutely rich!! Seriously, one of the funniest things I've read in a while.

Nighthawk4
2006-03-16, 03:30 PM
I'm worriing about Rick to already. I don't remember the comic being so late, with no news from Rick. I hope he is OK...

Me too. No news yet? Rich, are you OK? :(

mastroyo
2006-03-16, 03:30 PM
Try Chilean Wine.
And do some research before you buy it. I've seen some very expensive ones, that cost maybe a tenth here. So, don't go and buy the first you see, but try to ask people in the store. They should advice you on some of the good ones (at the right price).

Oh, and OotS.
Just for reminding other people (and me) on why we are here.

Holy_Knight
2006-03-16, 03:31 PM
It is actually a sign high humor not "sticking their tongue at you" in a raspberry fashion. It is a "Ha-ha that is so funny, here is my tongue lolling out of my mouth". At least thats how I take it, and thats how the messenger icons look...
I always took that one to mean "silly", as in "I'm being intentionally silly here". Or, as a rare variant, a sign of inadequacy, as in "I know this isn't perfect, but it's the best I/we can do with what we have at the moment".

Sylvius
2006-03-16, 03:32 PM
The old world wines are a little heavy for my palatte as well. We tend to go for the Austrailian labels.

Of course the best wine is from Virginia, but Mrs. Geekus doesn't like that either. :-/

I'm not a fan of the local wines here. There is only one BC vineyard that produces wine I enjoy (Quail's Gate, if anyone's interested).

If you like Australian wine, I recommend Chilean, but I warn you away from South African. South African wine has a very heavy smoky flavour that I just can't stand.

Chris the Pontifex
2006-03-16, 03:38 PM
go wine! (any'll do, 'cept german, way too sweet)

Tongeren? *takes out atlas*
thats Belgium! (oops:-X) its near the Ardennes, yes Ardennes thats foresty area

Nightstallion
2006-03-16, 03:39 PM
While we're still on the topic of languages, I can offer German, English, Latin, Ancient Greek, Spanish, and Italian.

And AFAIK, whether multilingualism hurts or benefits children has not yet been proven conclusively.

motub
2006-03-16, 03:40 PM
Well, I'm not precisely a Dutch person (born and raised in NYC), but I've lived in Oosterhout, Noord-Brabant (specified because there's another city of Oosterhout in the more northern half of the country, I'm told), for the past 5.75 years. (Yes, I've had my shots and I'm all "ingeburgerd" ;) , so I'm safe enough to say, "Hallo, hoe gaat het? to :) ).

Weather report: it's dark now, of course (8:30 pm), dry, but overcast (can't see the moon from my balcony, which stinks, because last night it was beautiful. Maybe it'll clear up later).

battleburn
2006-03-16, 03:41 PM
Google earth: search for:
Tongeren, Netherlands

theKOT
2006-03-16, 03:43 PM
go wine! (any'll do, 'cept german, way too sweet)

Tongeren? *takes out atlas*
thats Belgium! (oops:-X) its near the Ardennes, yes Ardennes thats foresty area
There's also one in the Netherlands. In Epe, I believe. Near Apeldoorn. But my Nederland Geography is shakey at best...

battleburn
2006-03-16, 03:48 PM
Epe is near Apeldoorn and they are both bordering to the Veluwe. So there sure is forest next to Epe

Chris the Pontifex
2006-03-16, 03:52 PM
There's also one in the Netherlands. In Epe, I believe. Near Apeldoorn. But my Nederland Geography is shakey at best...

Cant find it, anyway there are some trees there that are closer togheter than elsewere. But forest is a rather big word, dont you think?

theKOT
2006-03-16, 03:55 PM
Cant find it, anyway there are some trees there that are closer togheter than elsewere. But forest is a rather big word, dont you think?
It only has six letters....
teehee

Nah, I consider forest anything to big to walk through in under three hours.

Amaroq
2006-03-16, 04:00 PM
It is 11:07 in the San Francisco Bay Area (California), and I am happy to report that it is raining and cold.

Our official language is Dudespeak, and I greet you good morning: Dude!

Breaking news - 11:59 from San Mateo, just south of San Francisco, the rain has stopped and a brief break in the clouds has sun shining through the clouds.

gooddragon1
2006-03-16, 04:09 PM
Its 12:05 in Nevada, after much snow we have a sunny day ahead.
Random Information
-Nevada isn't all desert
-I'm 1/16 native american
-I've got a collection of approx 100 "golden dollars" in a chest.
-I'm risking insanity due to deprivation of my fix
-Ive got a calculus class in 55 minutes followed by a job working in a computer lab from 2-4pm then a physics lab from 5-7pm.
-SpRiNg BrEaK is coming!!!! YAY!!!
-I've got to go finish my homework for calculus at the last minute, however since I only have one problem left( more like one letter of the problem left (part c) which is graphing, I shouldnt have too much of a problem with this problem nor should it cause too many problems with the rest of the problem)

Dugray
2006-03-16, 04:27 PM
Breaking News from Montreal
- It is currently -7 with the windchill and cloudy
-Temperatures expected to drop to -25 early in the morning.

Carrion_Humanoid
2006-03-16, 04:28 PM
Is it just me or did we not get our comic for wednesday?

Chris the Pontifex
2006-03-16, 04:40 PM
Is it just me or did we not get our comic for wednesday?

why do you think we are discussing the weather and wether or not the Veluwe is a forest?

metalphil
2006-03-16, 04:47 PM
why do you think we are discussing the weather and wether or not the Veluwe is a forest?
It's a perfectly reasonable topic in its own right. ;)

WampaX
2006-03-16, 04:50 PM

Yeah, that's great and all . . . but you are only going to incurr more wrath.

Voice of the Wampinator: Please, people, keep this topic about the comic. Not the weather or the debate on the definition of "forest." There are other sections of the board where those topics would be more appropriate and not incurr as much wrath.

The_Weirdo
2006-03-16, 04:59 PM
I speak from Belo Horizonte, Minas Gerais state, in Brazil. Our capital is not Buenos Aires. We don't have snakes in the streets (I actually got asked that once) and we do wear clothing. I dislike samba and soccer (and still, I'm Brazilian). It's overcast here, but clearing up. 6 PM.

Now, on topic.

1- Did anything happen to the Giant, o ye Mods? o_o

2- Roy's reaction was personal. But, for another example, let's try someone we can agree on as being Lawful Good. Superman will do. Let's picture a scenario in which Luthor, once AGAIN, comes up with a brilliant idea that will either lead to him dominating the world or destroying it. Superman then shows up and a pre-smackdown dialogue ensues. What would you expect Superman to say?

A) "You're crazy, Luthor! Stop this NOW!"

or

B) "Hello, mr. Luthor. Listen, you might not be going about this the right way. Won't you sit down and talk?"

And A would be mild, because Superman was raised in a community in which cursing is frowned upon. See my point?

Freeman333
2006-03-16, 05:14 PM
Correction: haven't gotten it yet. The Giant's nothing if not dependable; even if the comic is late, due to circumstances beyond his control, he'll make sure we get what we were promised, one way or another. Despite the fact that we don't pay for his work, he's committed to providing it to us faithfully, which I think is pretty damn cool. More than I deserve, anyway (but then, if I actually got what I deserved, I'd be either very very happy or very very sad, depending on who you ask).

Anyway, my point is that even if it's much later than we're used to it being, the chances of a comic actually being skipped altogether are pretty small, barring a serious emergency or major life change for the Giant. And, Gods willing, that's not what has happened here. Probably it's just that circumstances have demanded that he put high-priority activities, like sleep or eating or family, first, while lower priorities like posting the comic have been delayed. At least, so we hope (and pray to great Banjthulu for).

Also: wine. There are only two real advantages to living in southerin Illinois, the first being our absolutely lovely wilderness--though I've never seen the forests (or forest) of the Netherlands, I feel confident that our national parks have natural beauty to rival them. The second is the local wine. Not up to the standards of the French or Germans, perhaps, but for unsophisticated Illinoisan palates they are quite perfect. We brew a Heartland Blush hereabouts that I drink as though it were replacing my blood supply.

That said, don't get me started on the weather. (Old Illinois joke: don't like the weather? Wait five minutes; it'll change.)

zimri
2006-03-16, 05:21 PM
Correction: haven't gotten it yet.

That said, don't get me started on the weather. (Old Illinois joke: don't like the weather? Wait five minutes; it'll change.)

At this point I'ld be willing to wager a canadian penny that it'll be somewhere between size and a halfed and triple sized and called friday's comic.

On the weather I think that joke is an "everywhere (at least in North America) joke. I have heard it ascribed to many locations throughout Canada and the U.S.

Mal_the_Mad
2006-03-16, 05:27 PM
Comic will be up pretty late today, close midnight. The Sppppoky Wizard has had me burning the midnight oil again.

I think some may have missed his post while debating the merits of weather and geography. its all the sppppoky wizard's fault.

GeekDaddy
2006-03-16, 05:32 PM
Yes, but the time stamp on that post indicates Rich's intentions were to get the strip up by midnight LAST night, not midnight tonight.

I think the aliens got him again.

Sylvius
2006-03-16, 05:32 PM
That was midnight yesterday, though. The Giant posted that 21 hours ago.

nightfire8199
2006-03-16, 05:39 PM
^^^^^^SIMU POSTED!!!!!^^^^^^^^

Wanderlust
2006-03-16, 05:45 PM
I was a little surprised to see Roy go off like that. He tends to just take most of the rubbish sent his way and accept it. I'm sure he's wanted to go off on Dad for a long time now.

Tariskat
2006-03-16, 06:21 PM
Well, since someone known to the Giant is apparently reading this, WampaX, is he okay? We don't want a repeat of the whole family-injured badness..
Hoping all is well!

p.s. I hope Roy gives his father a good Smite Ghost in the rear for being a jerk.

gooddragon1
2006-03-16, 06:56 PM
Roy probably shouldn't have overreacted in front of his party because he is the leader of the party and should be setting an example.

BTW: The sig is from Scathe Zombies and The bit under the pic is just for fun.

Efogoto
2006-03-16, 07:01 PM
Roy's blasted a couple of people now that he felt were jerking him around. I doubt he'd ever unload on Elan like that -- Elan would be far too hurt by it. His father and Miko, on the other hand, are big enough to take it.

**edit to write what I meant, not what I wrote **

Cobrateen2000
2006-03-16, 07:06 PM
I to am becoming most worried about the Giant. Horrible scenes of car wrecks and duck hunting accidents keep floating through my head. I'm sorry for waxing poetic, but this absence has me worried, verrily. Please Giant, contact us and assure us of your well-being.

Cobrateen2000
2006-03-16, 07:11 PM
By the way, I just realised something. At the end of the comic Roy walks off and goes somewhere, and Haley follows. Perhaps then he has stormed out of the castle or whatever. Perhaps what is taking the Giant so long is a vast city-scape of unparralled depth and wonder! Anyone want to comment upon where he might be going instead? So as to bring us once more upon the topic of the thread.

Tomada
2006-03-16, 07:19 PM
that would be a prediction or spoiler...

sorry

Grunjon
2006-03-16, 07:48 PM
Maybe Giant just decided to take a break when he realized that I Dream of Jeannie - The Complete 1st Season was released on DVD the other day. Perhaps he won't finish the new comic until he get through all the episodes and finds out what's up with Jeannie and Major Nelson! :D

Mateo
2006-03-16, 08:01 PM
Maybe Giant just decided to take a break when he realized that I Dream of Jeannie - The Complete 1st Season was released on DVD the other day. Perhaps he won't finish the new comic until he get through all the episodes and finds out what's up with Jeannie and Major Nelson! :D

I bow to you sir...this is most random and funny.

The_Weirdo
2006-03-16, 08:16 PM
Roy's blasted a couple of people now that he felt were jerking him around. I doubt he'd ever unload on Elan like that -- Elan would be far too hurt by it. His father and Miko, on the other hand, are big enough to take it.

**edit to write what I meant, not what I wrote **

It's not about Elan's innocence. Well, it is, but hear me out. Elan would be too hurt, true, but he also would NOT do this kind of thing on purpose. Not only he's too dumb, CG people prize personal freedom the most, and he wouldn't plan on destroying the freedom of an innocent completely (albeit for a while), even if he could plan it. Roy, being LG, would be able to forgive Elan for a MISTAKE, even if said mistake caused him to lose an arm. He'd berate Elan, yes, but not with such rage. However, it's the PLANNING that Roy can't stand. If Belkar did something that evil just for the heck of it, Roy would be raging at him too, maybe less, but would. But Belkar's misdeeds so far put the party at fairly minor risk (setting fire to the camp, leaving V's side in the fight). Both could be worked around, and, in the camp case, Roy wasn't there. Roy's dad sent a crazy bloodthirsty Paladin after the whole party, then locked them up. His own son. Deliberately. With planning. And, being a Wizard with high Intelligence, he was AWARE OF THE RISKS. Risks that included death of other party members. Elan is a moron. Belkar doesn't CARE for the risks, nor has the wisdom or intelligence to judge them. But Eugene Greenhilt was perfectly aware of the risks, judged them perfectly, knew of them and of the risks to HIS OWN SON, and... went ahead with the plan anyways. Not to save the world, but for vengeance. The Gates were only a convenient lure, as he himself said. Yet, after checking up the risk of innocent blood being spilled, not due to his wanting to save the world, but due to his wish for revenge, Eugene went ahead and took the risks - with innocent lives on the line - anyways. There's only one alignment in the Good - Evil axis that would put his personal quests above the lives of innocents. Evil.

Mean_Eyed_CAt
2006-03-16, 08:27 PM

Nelson: "How are things going?"
Jeannie: "Terrible. I have to make dinner - I mean actually make it without magic. We are liable to die."

[cue laugh track]

belboz
2006-03-16, 08:38 PM
My theory as to why the giant hasn't given a reason for the comic's being late:

The last time he did, he didn't really like the response he got. I mean, he liked 80% of it, but the last 20% upset him a good deal. I, for one, wouldn't blame him if he decided to keep further "comic unexpectedly delayed for a day or more" posts to himself.

Efogoto
2006-03-16, 09:16 PM
There's only one alignment in the Good - Evil axis that would put his personal quests above the lives of innocents. Evil.
Eugene's plan didn't require the deaths of innocents. All things being equal, the party should have submitted to the paladin and come along peacefully. And a less butt-headed paladin could have pulled that off. I don't see that Eugene has to be considered evil.

Bakta
2006-03-16, 09:23 PM
Try Chilean Wine.

Friday morning yada, yada

Nice but I rather have Argentinan one, lighter touch, a the recent southern French ones hard to find them abroad, but them great. Ok I'm biased for French wines but still.

Re : language. To whoever complain about lack of suppleness of the English language, try to picture a conversation of one Ozzie, a Texan US, and your's truly (whose english is not native but who speak it with a heavy indian accent)...Now come and say to my face we learned the same language.

But true, learning english only is a thing of the past. Being trilingual will almost be a must soon.

Hyrael
2006-03-16, 09:49 PM
Ok, Im trying to look at the lateness this way:
the next comic is probably a scene change, a cut to the tour of azure city. therefore, the giant has to make a bunch of new backgrounds to accomodate, probably thronged azure city streets or something. this could take time, andhe doesnt want to post a 'sorry' statement, because of what ahppened last time.

either that, or something much more importaint has happened.

perhaps a combination of the two.

this makes it slightly easyer to wait for the new comic...NOT! MUST SEE ELAN'S TOUR, OR MORE ROY VS EUGENE!

;)

gooddragon1
2006-03-16, 10:17 PM
Personally, I was hoping for an attack on emerald city by xykon while hinjo and elan are taking a tour.

houseofcommons
2006-03-16, 10:33 PM
Personally, I was hoping for an attack on emerald city by xykon while hinjo and elan are taking a tour.

You really think a side-quest to Oz is necessary?

Frank
2006-03-16, 10:40 PM
Why do people complain about the comic being late...still? This guy isn't charging us for coming on to his site and using his boards. He's not selling his comic to newspapers.

And it's what? Not even a day late?

<shakes his head>

Great set of comics to wrap up the series. Haven't been logged on recently to post...but yeah. Just masterful stuff as always.

-Frank

Unrepentant
2006-03-16, 10:45 PM
Why do people complain about the comic being late...still? This guy isn't charging us for coming on to his site and using his boards. He's not selling his comic to newspapers.

And it's what? Not even a day late?

<shakes his head>

Great set of comics to wrap up the series. Haven't been logged on recently to post...but yeah. Just masterful stuff as always.

-Frank

Ahh - the comic is late - the comic is free ... I win a frappacino! YAY!

This board is so predictable.

yuccadude
2006-03-16, 11:01 PM
I think that Roy's response to Eugene was perfectly acceptable.

I have a friend, Garrett, who (last year) was picked on (for lack of better phrase) by another friend of mine, Andrew, every single day during lunch, and he would just sit there and take it, smiling and nodding, no less. He would get food placed in his ears, one day there was Jell-o in his hair, another day he got chocolate pudding all over his pants...which led to another funny incident, but instead of retaliating, he just sat there and took it each and every day. Well, one day a few weeks ago, the two friends of mine had lunch together, and Garrett finally snapped, and Andrew recieved his comeuppance, in one swift, hilarious motion.

We were just talking about how Garrett had accidentally spilled his Frusion(a yogurt-type drink) all over a classmate because he didn't notice that the cap was off while he shook it...and right at this moment, Andrew recieved a bottleful of Frusion right in his lap. Garrett, for his part, made a swift exit, and nearly recieved a pear to the head in return...

I guess what my point is, is that once the day comes that Roy finally gets what he think he wants, he may find that he won't be very satisfied, and that he could in fact recieve a lot of trouble in return. And hopefully there may be pears involved...

(the above story is completely true, and it happened at school no less...the miracle is that not a one teacher saw what had happened with the pear-throwing, yogurt-dumping, and fleeing-from-the-peary-wrath-which-then-exploded-against-the-nearby-wall)
If you want to hear the story about the pudding pants, send me a private message, and I may respond in a day or 2.

gooddragon1
2006-03-16, 11:12 PM
You really think a side-quest to Oz is necessary?

Well, its a good way to bring most of the storyline together.

TinSoldier
2006-03-16, 11:13 PM
Eugene's plan didn't require the deaths of innocents. All things being equal, the party should have submitted to the paladin and come along peacefully. And a less butt-headed paladin could have pulled that off. I don't see that Eugene has to be considered evil.Except for the fact that they didn't want (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=200) to surrender at first. Miko was hasty because she thought from her earlier investigations that she was dealing with a band of vicious criminals.

I don't think that was the fault of Eugene or Miko, but Shojo should have known of the possibility that she would overreact.

Gralamin
2006-03-16, 11:31 PM
I hope everyone is wearing green on firdays comic, st patricks day is fun.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-03-16, 11:38 PM
I hope everyone is wearing green on firdays comic, st patricks day is fun.
Already got it covered ;D

*spits out a golden buckle*

raven-gm
2006-03-16, 11:43 PM
Nice....

Mines a little more subtle, just the little amulet on the head...