PDA

View Full Version : Master Race List; Natural Attacks

Buufreak
2019-09-22, 01:47 PM
Hey folks. I'm looking into doing a series about what races do the best and the worst when it comes to particular stats or features. I'm wanting to start with Natural Attacks. Is that something people would be into? Is that something that would actually be appreciated?

Tell me what you think!

Zaq
2019-09-22, 02:26 PM
Could you maybe come up with a name for the project that doesn't include the very unfortunate phrase "master race"? That has... implications. How about just "complete list of races" or something?

Maat Mons
2019-09-22, 03:19 PM
Maybe "master list if races?"

Edit: Or "race master list?"

Psychoalpha
2019-09-22, 04:34 PM
Could you maybe come up with a name for the project that doesn't include the very unfortunate phrase "master race"? That has... implications. How about just "complete list of races" or something?

Real talk, I came here to throw down regarding PC vs Mac vs Console gaming.

But yeah that other thing too. ;D

Thurbane
2019-09-22, 04:57 PM
To be fair to Buufreak, that is, in fact, what the most well known resource of LA +0 races is known as: Master +0 LA Race List III (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?444049-Master-Player-Race-List-Version-2-0-(Wizards-Forum)) http://minmaxforum.com/index.php?topic=1281.0

Luckmann
2019-09-22, 05:04 PM
Hey folks. I'm looking into doing a series about what races do the best and the worst when it comes to particular stats or features. I'm wanting to start with Natural Attacks. Is that something people would be into? Is that something that would actually be appreciated?

Tell me what you think!I would be very interested in an organized Master Race List for Natural Attacks. I've found losts of all kinds extremely helpful, but many lists are either outdated or simply lost.

Rebel7284
2019-09-22, 05:12 PM
Kobolds get claws and bite in that one online article, making them surprisingly good natural attackers for a 0 LA race.

I also vote for changing the title...

Asmotherion
2019-09-22, 05:22 PM

Can't say i didn't see this one comming when i entered the thread :smalltongue:

That said i highly doupt OP had any ill intent and was probably meant as a joke or didn't conect the dots of the implication.

Thurbane
2019-09-22, 05:32 PM
As part of any such list, you could also include the +1 and +2 LA races, from this list: [3.5] LA +1 & LA +2 Player Race List (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?189980)

LA +1

Bladeling (claw)
Diabolus (tail)
Jaebrin (bite)
Lizardfolk, Poison Dusk (claws and bite)
Wildren (claws)

LA+2

Aarakocra (talons and bite)
Ixitxachitl (bite)
Twig Blight (claws)

animewatcha
2019-09-22, 08:16 PM
Maybe "master list if races?"

Edit: Or "race master list?"

If these search terms, I would suggest that you attach 3.5 or something similar to it to narrow the results. At this time, both quotes will bring up the link to minmax forum with the listing. However, we are running closer and closer to election year ( don't want to dissolve this into politics. Take that elsewhere. ) and you may get different results in the future if there isn't something in there to 'narrow' the results.

Psyren
2019-09-23, 02:01 PM
"Best and Worst Races for X" seems like it would capture the OP's intent. "List of Races" feels way to generic.

I don't know if they're the best but I feel Warforged deserve a special mention because they can do things with their natural weapons that few other races can, like coat them in contact poison and disease.

Luckmann
2019-09-23, 04:04 PM
"Best and Worst Races for X" seems like it would capture the OP's intent. "List of Races" feels way to generic.

I don't know if they're the best but I feel Warforged deserve a special mention because they can do things with their natural weapons that few other races can, like coat them in contact poison and disease.Easy access to doube Slam attacks is enough to warrant a mention. Claws and bites are fairly easy to get, but Slam, let alone two of them natively, is pretty cash money.

StevenC21
2019-09-23, 05:22 PM
What's so good about slam attacks?

Thurbane
2019-09-23, 05:37 PM
The races/templates section of this excellent guide may also be of interest: [3.X] Extra attacks, natural attacks, AoO (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?127463)

Buufreak
2019-09-24, 09:22 PM
To be fair to Buufreak, that is, in fact, what the most well known resource of LA +0 races is known as: Master +0 LA Race List III (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?444049-Master-Player-Race-List-Version-2-0-(Wizards-Forum)) http://minmaxforum.com/index.php?topic=1281.0

Absolutely the intent.

In other news, I'm glad to see people generally like the idea, name withheld. And if I can dig deep into it and it actually takes off well enough, I kinda want to do a series. Generally to start this one off (which I'll start a new thread for of course) I want to look into what makes a good natural attack, and which race will give you the most bang for your buck, before and without mention of template, class, or otherwise. Feats that are specific to a single race will get special mention and consideration, but much like RHD and LA, will be viewed as additional cost being paid for the benefits.

Luckmann
2019-09-25, 02:37 AM
What's so good about slam attacks?Nothing in itself - they're just another natural attack. The cash money part is that you get one for free and can easily get another one, and you can then combine them with all other natural attacks. Many natural attacks are limited - you can only (usually) have one bite attack, and you can only usually have two claws. Claws and bites are usually a lot easier to gain, though, whether you're a clawlock or any of the countless races and templates that get some for free.

Slams, though? You don't see that that often, let alone easy access to two of them.

Or maybe I'm wrong and someone will come along to call me a dummy.

And on top of that, they can coat their natural attacks in poisons or just dung for that matter, and there's good argument that they can or should be able to straight-up enchant their unarmednor natural attacks, based on the same logic as the one given for them enchanting their body as armor.