PDA

View Full Version : Input for my campaign setting: magic manifested through items.

Taffimai
2007-10-15, 08:57 AM
I am working on a campaign setting where magic can only work through items (scrolls/wands/...). Of course, items can still only be made/used by classes that could normally cast the spell in the first place (though Use Magic Device still works).

The idea would be that the XP cost for such items no longer exists, but you have to use a "casting" for every charge the item has. An example: a fifth level wizard is making a wand of magic missile. He could normally cast (including bonus spells for high intelligence) 5 first level spells, 3 second level spells and 2 third level spells. 5+(3x2)+(2x3)=17, so the wand has 17 charges of magic missile if he chooses to pour all his magic for that day into the wand. He can add 17 charges the next day. Monetary costs are as per the normal rules. As you can see, he's used higher level spell slots for several lower level spells. This does not work the other way around, so if he were to make a wand of fireball, he'd be limited to 2 charges/day.

I am looking for two things:
a) your input as to why this idea might be horrible, or which game mechanics would need to be looked at, and
b) info (preferably open content) on non-core classes that might work particularly well in this setting. (I'd specifically like to learn more about warforged characters and that arcane class that already revolves around making items - artificers?)

goat
2007-10-15, 09:02 AM
So, basically, instead of preparing his spells in the morning, a caster would charge up some magical items? And then keep some for himself, and give some out to his party for UMD?

Taffimai
2007-10-15, 09:11 AM
Yes. The idea would be to at the same time make the use of magic more flexible (you could technically 'save up' your fireballs) and restrict it somewhat (because you are dependent on items and can't cast on a whim any more). Plus, magic items would not be as easily available, because they're effectively harder to make.

Citizen Joe
2007-10-15, 09:39 AM
You're talking about foci (staff or wand) and fetishes (like a vodun doll). It is like the cleric with his holy symbol. I think they call that kind of caster a hedge wizard or mechanic.

There are some ruminations about such a thing in 4E but I'm not sure if it is adding on to the existing system or replacing it.

My personal suggestion: Take the wizard, sorcerer and warlock and merge them together. Gut the blaster spells from the spell lists and replace them with the warlocks eldritch blast and variations thereof. Require them to use a focus, either a staff or wand. Defensive buffs become more like the artificers infusions, mostly using amulets and such. Divinations will require various other tools and possibly books. If you can't think of an appropriate focus, you can use the grimoire as the default.