PDA

View Full Version : Transferring features between classes

stewstew5
2019-09-23, 01:42 AM
So basically, for a homebrew invocation for a warlock, I want to give them a once per day wild shape. I basically copy/pasted the feature into the invocation then changed up the wording to be more balanced for an invocation, but would it be smarter to say something like 'you can wild shape into a beast you have seen before as though a second level druid. After using this feature, you cannot use it again until you finish a short or long rest', or 'you gain the druid's wild shape ability. You can only use it once before needing to take a short or long rest, and can only take the forms a second-level druid could'

keeping in mind I try and keep my homebrew as like-the-books as possible

Khrysaes
2019-09-24, 03:09 AM
Isn't there a polymorph self invocation once per day already? Would that not work?

SirGraystone
2019-09-24, 09:49 AM
Yes it's call Sculptor of Flesh, you can take it at level 7

Pixel_Kitsune
2019-09-24, 09:54 AM
Accept you might have to tweak as you go and let the player know. Otherwise go for it.

I had a druid player who didn't like Wildshape or ever plan to use it. Inlet her swap it for the first ability from the dream path (the healing pool). It let her heal some more, let's me be just a touch more dangerous and ultimately didn't hurt anything.

Demonslayer666
2019-09-24, 10:28 AM
Sculptor of Flesh uses a spell slot though, and is higher level. This could be lower level, or not even have a level requirement.

I like it for a Patron of the Archfey.

My only hesitation is that the invocations are set power levels, unless they use a spell slot. So if you intend to have this go off of Warlock levels to determine your max Wild Shape form, you may want to have it use a spell slot, or have level required invocations that let you do higher HD forms.

SirGraystone
2019-09-24, 12:14 PM
I would use a different path for what you want to do, I wouldn't use invocation, but I would take Pact of the Archfey, remove fey presence which give a free charm spell on a short rest, and add the wild shape ability, maybe only on level 2 since it's when the druid get it.

stewstew5
2019-09-24, 01:59 PM
Sculptor of Flesh uses a spell slot though, and is higher level. This could be lower level, or not even have a level requirement.

I like it for a Patron of the Archfey.

My only hesitation is that the invocations are set power levels, unless they use a spell slot. So if you intend to have this go off of Warlock levels to determine your max Wild Shape form, you may want to have it use a spell slot, or have level required invocations that let you do higher HD forms.

that's more or less how it would go, but how should it be worded? just a copy-paste, or a "see pg 60"?

Demonslayer666
2019-09-25, 10:10 AM
that's more or less how it would go, but how should it be worded? just a copy-paste, or a "see pg 60"?

I would write up the invocation for easy reference. Name it, list out the prerequisites, and the description should list out the details. If you want it to work just like Wild Shape, then yes, just tell them to switch out all the Druid references for Warlock.

MikeRoxTheBoat
2019-09-25, 02:58 PM
Check out the Transmutation Wizard feature "shapechanger" that does approximately the same thing. Allows a short rest use of polymorph, but only for creatures under a certain CR. Seems to be what you're going for.

Doesn't seem like it would break anything. Just make sure you don't already have a Transmutation Wizard or they might get salty.