PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class Upgrading the Spellthief

Aotrs Commander
2019-09-23, 08:30 AM
I'm having another pass through my 3.Aotrs houserules (a hideous mutant hybrid of 3.5 and PF1), and tweaking the classes (because this is what I do...) Generally, this pass is upgrading the classes closer to Pathfinder standards (i.e. adding lots of the neat stuff like rogue talents, rage powers and so on onto the noncasters - most of the casters don't need help. (Okay, sorcerer/shugenja/wu jen probably do, and the Oracle makes the favoureod soul largely redundant anyway).

I've already gone through most of the obvious ones - Barbarian, Rogue, Monk, Ninja, Bard, Warlock, Hexblade (I mostly just gave the latter the hexes of of the PF witch on top of the author-suggestes fixes and gave them a few more skill points), Soulknife. I completely re-designed Swashbuckler and scout myself, though they probably need a second pass. (Paladin, we've been using Seerow's Rebalanced Paladin off the old WotC forums for a long time).

On my list to have a look soon ish is Spellthief, which no-one has ever looked at and thus clearly needs to be better than it is. I think the only thing I did previously was to change the caster level to be Class level -3, rather than half (both ranger and paladin got this already). I briefly toyed with the idea of just making it no more than a chain of rogue talents, but I think it's got more to it than that.

One obvious suggestion might be to just add a load of rogue talents at a lesser rate (one every 3 levels?). Another obvious one would be to make Master Spellthief and actual class feature at the approrpiate level (since why would you not take it?) Possibly also make spellgrace scale like trapsense (since you can literally get an alternate class feature for rogues which does something close to that, the Spelltheif ought to have somethign better (especially as they don't get evasion or uncanny dodge or anything).

Does anyone have any other suggestions or can point to such a thing that has already been done? I'm not 100% familar with pathfinder, so there may be something lurking there I'm not aware of.