PDA

View Full Version : Jumping distance

Chaosity
2019-09-23, 09:46 AM
Hi everybody

Me and my group never really used the rules for jumping distance cause it never came up

But now i'm making an encounter where bandits riding Dire Wolf's will jump on a ship the party need to protect
So i wanted to check the rules to see how far the ship had to be from the shore so they could jump onto it

What i found was that you could cover a number of feet up to your strengt score if you traveled 10 feet

That... doesn't seem right
That would mean my dire wolfs can only jump a measly 3 feet
That would mean a creature with less then 12 strengt can't jump at all??

Am i missing something here?

stoutstien
2019-09-23, 10:01 AM
Hi everybody

Me and my group never really used the rules for jumping distance cause it never came up

But now i'm making an encounter where bandits riding Dire Wolf's will jump on a ship the party need to protect
So i wanted to check the rules to see how far the ship had to be from the shore so they could jump onto it

What i found was that you could cover a number of feet up to your strengt score if you traveled 10 feet

Am i missing something here?
A dire wolf can jump 17 ft as a long jump without a check....
Score not modifer is the key

Willie the Duck
2019-09-23, 10:12 AM

Score is the number of the attribute (usually 3-20), modifier is what you add to d20 rolls. This is one of the pitfalls of the rules having two numeric outputs for attributes (one that is used frequently, the other infrequently). Some people have been pushing to eliminate the 3-20 portion and switch to straight -5-+5 for a while. In general, I agree with the logic but don't consider it a high priority (and since it is something of a sacred cow...) since people generally adapt to the issue fairly quickly, but this case is a great example of the problem.

That's a pretty good metric to identify places where you probably mistaken about something -- if it returns a nonsensical result for vast swaths of things which might attempt it.
Mind you, the game rules are not perfect, and there might genuinely be edge-cases where the rules return nonsensical results, but those are rare and the edge cases are pretty edge-like. Not this edition, but I remember the crafting rules in 3rd edition were based on cost (it took X time to produce something worth Y gp) -- well it didn't take long for someone to notice that some things like quarterstaves and clubs don't cost anything...

Chaosity
2019-09-23, 10:16 AM
A dire wolf can jump 17 ft as a long jump without a check....
Score not modifer is the key

Aah ok that makes more sense thank you
My PHB is with a friend so i had to use what i found online

stoutstien
2019-09-23, 11:25 AM
Aah ok that makes more sense thank you
My PHB is with a friend so i had to use what i found online
it's an odd spot in the rules using the stat vs the modifer. They can jump further if they wish but a check may be needed and also jumping into/ on to a higher point is also different so this is where the rules move into individual DM ruling.

SirGraystone
2019-09-23, 01:09 PM
In I believe it was Storm King's Thunder, there's a broken bridge with a part higher then the other, the adventure ask for a strenght (or athletic) check to jump higher, but dexterity (or acrobatic) to land on the lower part without hurting yourself.