PDA

View Full Version : Geometer and optional components.

Voidstar01
2019-09-23, 11:48 AM
So I was wondering if the geometer's ability to make spellglyphs that contain optional components, like those from complete arcane or moilian runebones by paying extra GP?
A spellglyph is an arcane diagram that substitutes for a specific spell?s verbal and material components (if any). When a geometer casts a prepared spell in conjunction with a spellglyph scribed for that spell, he can cast the spell as if it were affected by the Silent Spell feat. The spellglyph replaces any material components (other than a focus) normally required by the spell. A geometer chooses at the time of casting whether to use a spellglyph. An expended spellglyph disappears, just like any other material component. Spellglyphs are normally scribed on parchment, much like scrolls. Preparing a spellglyph requires 1 hour and the use of rare inks costing 25 gp per spell level. If the spell normally requires an expensive material component (with a value of more than 1 gp), exotic inks and treatments of equal cost must be used in the preparation of the spellglyph.

Any necromancy spell you cast can be cast instead as a Moilian spell, dealing an extra 1d6 points of negative energy damage +1d6 per two spell levels (+1d6 for 1st-level spells, +2d6 for 2nd- or 3rd-level spells, and so on). If the spell normally allows a saving throw, the target takes half the negative energy damage on a successful save, regardless of the outcome of the save on the spell's normal effect. In addition to its normal spell components, a Moilian spell requires the creation and expenditure of a Moilian runebone-- a small human bone (often a fi nger bone) scribed with carefully prepared arcane markings. Only a character trained in the Black Lore of Moil knows the secrets of creating a runebone, which takes 1 hour to craft and requires special inks and powders costing 25 gp per die of negative energy damage to be generated. For example, a runebone capable of adding 3d6 points of negative energy damage to a spell costs 75 gp to craft. While the maximum negative energy damage dealt by a Moilian spell is based on the spell's level, the actual damage is limited by the runebone. For example, if a sorcerer casts fi nger of death (a 7th-level spell, so normally +4d6) with a 75-gp (3d6) runebone, the spell deals only 3d6 points of additional negative energy damage. A Moilian spell uses a spell slot of the spell's normal level.

Troacctid
2019-09-23, 11:56 AM
Strictly speaking, I don't believe the bone actually counts as a material component.

Hunter Noventa
2019-09-23, 12:10 PM
Strictly speaking, I don't believe the bone actually counts as a material component.

Agreed, the bone is more of a focus than a material component. Or, more like using a metamagic rod than a focus even.

Voidstar01
2019-09-23, 12:22 PM
Agreed, the bone is more of a focus than a material component. Or, more like using a metamagic rod than a focus even.
Damn was kinda hoping it would let me avoid getting harassed by more idiots in the market when i'm buying finger bones ("No I don't plant them in the ground to grow skeletons! How would that even work?"

ShurikVch
2019-09-23, 04:56 PM
Damn was kinda hoping it would let me avoid getting harassed by more idiots in the market when i'm buying finger bones ("No I don't plant them in the ground to grow skeletons! How would that even work?"On the other hand - it may work for the Optional Material Components from the Book of Vile Darkness or/and Book of Exalted Deeds

And about the finger bones - Skeletal Guard spell:
Shaking the fingerbones in your hand like dice, you coat them in shadowy energy. As you cast them to the ground to complete the spell, animate skeletons spring up where you threw the bones.:xykon:

Voidstar01
2019-09-23, 06:02 PM
And about the finger bones - Skeletal Guard spell::xykon:

Damn it's an evil spell, otherwise I would totally use that.

Maat Mons
2019-09-23, 06:14 PM
Spellglyph says it replaces material components that are "normally required" for the spell. Optional components aren't really "required." So I don't think RAW supports replacing them.

Falontani
2019-09-23, 10:21 PM
If they did, oohh boy take a look at Death Master!

The death master's spells have a special material
component that makes them easier to cast in armor.
If the death master uses a vial of blood as a material
component he can cast the spell without somatic
components and thereby ignore the spell failure chance
for casting in armor. This blood must come from an
intelligent creature (Intelligence 3 or higher) that the
death master sacrificed to Orcus. The death master can
extract 8 vials from a Medium creature. Double this
for each size category above Medium and halve it, to a
minimum of 1, for each category below. This extracted
blood remains viable for one day, but a gentle repose spell
prolongs this time.

Voidstar01
2019-09-23, 10:50 PM
If they did, oohh boy take a look at Death Master!

Deathmaster doesn't give a GP price though, the grounds for my question was because Geometer says if a spell has expensive material components you can pay gold equal to the cost to make a sigil that works without them, could you then prepare an extra component (with a listed GP value) by paying gold equal to THAT cost? Geometer provides no text relating to unpriced extraneous material components.