PDA

View Full Version : Land creatures with swim speeds

arkol
2007-10-15, 09:52 AM
If a land creature has a swim speed (say... a waster orc) can it charge trough water?

For exemple could it charge from one side of a small stream to the other side? Can it even use both movement methods in the same action?

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-10-15, 10:06 AM
Since water does not hinder creatures with swim speeds, it should pose no problem.

However, I am unsure how you would calculate available movement if the creature's movement modes had two different speeds. I would probably just limit it based off of the slower form for simplicity. Of course, there may be ad-hoc adjustments under special circumstances—particularly when the majority of distance traveled is on/in the faster medium.

Prophaniti
2007-10-15, 10:11 AM
I dont see why not, so long as all other rules are observed (straight line, at least 10ft). The only thing I can see that would complicate the issue would be if the swim speed was different from land speed. Lets say 30ft on land, but 40ft swim. Though, since you can charge up to double youre base movement, I might see a DM allow that to be full base distance of both types of movement. 'Course, I can see one not allowing it either, but I'm not aware of any rule that would prevent you from charging THROUGH water if you have a swim speed.

thought though... if you're charging through a stream, there should be a check to stay on course against the current.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-10-15, 10:24 AM
thought though... if you're charging through a stream, there should be a check to stay on course against the current.
A current strong enough to require a check should probably be considered difficult terrain, which would negate the charge.

Lord Tataraus
2007-10-15, 11:39 AM

Creatures with a swim speed get +8 on the check and can take 10 so I'd say that as long as the current does not require over an 18 swim check, you're fine, otherwise it is difficult terrain.

Prophaniti
2007-10-15, 12:37 PM
A current strong enough to require a check should probably be considered difficult terrain, which would negate the charge.

Ah, of course. Early morning for me, yet. Otherwise, though, no one see a problem with the original question? Say, if they did it through a fish pond?:smalltongue: