PDA

View Full Version : Enor = Ogre parent + Blue Dragon parent or Half-Ogre parent + Blue Dragon parent?

Particle_Man
2019-09-23, 11:31 PM
This has probably been answered, but I had thought of Enor as a Half-Dragon template put on to a Half-Ogre. But one wiki on OOTS claims that Enor is actually the Half-Dragon template put on to an Ogre.

So which is Enor?

HorizonWalker
2019-09-24, 12:10 AM
I'd suppose that his parents were an Ogre and a Blue Dragon, if for no other reason than because he doesn't look like he's got much of anything else in his blood.

InvisibleBison
2019-09-24, 08:48 AM
Based on the last panel of #721 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0721.html), I think it's safe to say that one of Enor's parents was a blue dragon, and the other was a half-ogre.

Schroeswald
2019-09-24, 08:54 AM
Why would he be more dragon than ogre? What Gannji says is Ogre who is half dragon (so the ogre has the half dragon template on it), than Enor says he is a half-dragon half-ogre, which I interpret as the same thing but could mean a half-dragon mated with a half-ogre (I doubt this for the same reason as HorizonWalkee).

HorizonWalker
2019-09-24, 09:00 AM
Alright, have some hopefully more sound and convincing logic:

He say's he's half-dragon, half-ogre. Two halves add up to a whole.

Grey Watcher
2019-09-24, 09:09 AM
I took the ambiguity to be a joke in its own right.

Squire Doodad
2019-09-24, 10:22 AM
This has probably been answered, but I had thought of Enor as a Half-Dragon template put on to a Half-Ogre. But one wiki on OOTS claims that Enor is actually the Half-Dragon template put on to an Ogre.

So which is Enor?

The wiki tends to get it's info from the Class and Level Geekery Thread, tbf.

Enor is actually infinitely many Half-Dragon templates stacked onto one another, adding up to a single Half-Dragon. It's part of Enor's Paradox, as described by Zeno of Elea.

Quizatzhaderac
2019-09-25, 12:59 PM
Elnor's family tree:

Halfling
--|--
Halfling

Blue
--|--
Dragon

Halfling
--|--
Halfling

Ogre
--|--
Ogre

Halfling

--|--

Blue-Dragon

Halfling

--|--

Ogre

Half-Dragon

--|--

Half-Ogre

Half-Dragon Half-Ogre

flyinglemur
2019-09-25, 03:52 PM
If he was just 50% dragon 50% ogre he wouldn’t have corrected Gangi.

Quizatzhaderac
2019-09-26, 11:09 AM
There's plenty of ways one would find the naming pattern "half A B" offensive.

Quebbster
2019-09-26, 12:02 PM
"chief gruk-gruk half orc too. other half, also orc" (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0555.html) - Precedent*for making fun of "half X" designations.
But everyone seems to agree Enor had two dragon grandparents and one ogre grandparent at least, it's just whether the fourth was an ogre or something else that's being discussed. Maybe it was a halfling? Enor does go barefoot and enjoys food a lot.

KorvinStarmast
2019-09-26, 01:32 PM
I took the ambiguity to be a joke in its own right. That makes two of us. :smallcool:

facw
2019-09-26, 03:01 PM
If he was just 50% dragon 50% ogre he wouldn’t have corrected Gangi.

But Gangi didn't say he was 50% dragon and 50% ogre, he said he was 50% dragon and 100% ogre, which clearly needed to be corrected.

Regardless, I don't think he's any percent human. I believe he had one dragon parent and one ogre parent, which does indeed make him half-dragon and half-ogre.

Kantaki
2019-09-26, 03:14 PM
...:smallconfused:
...:smallconfused:
...:smallannoyed:
You know what, I'm going with yes.:smallsigh:
:smalltongue:
More seriously, I always thought Enor was, as Ganji says a half-dragon ogre, rules-wise.
Which, as he points out makes him actually a half-ogre.
After all, if one parent isn't a ogre he can't be a full one.

D.One
2019-09-26, 03:56 PM
You know what, I'm going with yes.:smallsigh:

That's the best answer. :smallbiggrin:

Squire Doodad
2019-09-26, 04:44 PM
But Gangi didn't say he was 50% dragon and 50% ogre, he said he was 50% dragon and 100% ogre, which clearly needed to be corrected.

Regardless, I don't think he's any percent human. I believe he had one dragon parent and one ogre parent, which does indeed make him half-dragon and half-ogre.

I wanted to make a "Ganges River Porpoise" joke, but aw man it was just off

Quizatzhaderac
2019-09-27, 02:08 PM
"chief gruk-gruk half orc too. other half, also orc" (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0555.html) - Precedent*for making fun of "half X" designations.He was named "gruk" for this father, and for his mother he was named "gruk".

D.One
2019-09-27, 02:30 PM
He was named "gruk" for this father, and for his mother he was named "gruk".

I wonder if that's the rationale behind all the kobolds' names...

Chronos
2019-09-28, 08:32 AM
By rules terminology, a "half-dragon ogre" would have two dragon grandparents and two ogre grandparents, while a "half-dragon half-ogre" would have two dragon grandparents, one ogre grandparent, and one grandparent who was something else (most likely human). Mechanically, you can stack on as many half- templates as you want, with each one signifying "half of this, and the other half being whatever the rest of the description was". Like, if a half-dragon ogre had a kid with an angel, the result would be a half-celestial half-dragon ogre.

In common parlance, two halves make a whole, and anything that's half one thing must be half something else. In this case, a "half-dragon ogre" wouldn't make sense, and should be called a "half-dragon half-ogre", and the offspring of that and an angel would be a "half-celestial quarter-dragon quarter-ogre".

We don't know which sort of terminology Enor was using, which creates the ambiguity, hence the joke.

Squire Doodad
2019-09-28, 10:10 AM
By rules terminology, a "half-dragon ogre" would have two dragon grandparents and two ogre grandparents, while a "half-dragon half-ogre" would have two dragon grandparents, one ogre grandparent, and one grandparent who was something else (most likely human). Mechanically, you can stack on as many half- templates as you want, with each one signifying "half of this, and the other half being whatever the rest of the description was". Like, if a half-dragon ogre had a kid with an angel, the result would be a half-celestial half-dragon ogre.

In common parlance, two halves make a whole, and anything that's half one thing must be half something else. In this case, a "half-dragon ogre" wouldn't make sense, and should be called a "half-dragon half-ogre", and the offspring of that and an angel would be a "half-celestial quarter-dragon quarter-ogre".

We don't know which sort of terminology Enor was using, which creates the ambiguity, hence the joke.

"What's the final quarter?"
"Half-Orc." (https://www.nuklearpower.com/2007/02/03/episode-804-origin-of-the-ranger/)

Darth Paul
2019-09-28, 11:05 AM

I suppose, if both parents took one look at the kid and said "Yuk", there's one name explained...

Squire Doodad
2019-09-28, 12:04 PM

Actually, most of the kobolds are from the same family - in Koboldville, incidentally - and with each generation they randomly select vowels and do the "Y*ky*k" pattern. You can differentiate between Kobold families by the name they choose; "Y*ky*k" is one, "*K*lk*l" is another one that lived a few houses over.

skim172
2019-09-29, 02:46 PM
"What's the final quarter?"
"Half-Orc." (https://www.nuklearpower.com/2007/02/03/episode-804-origin-of-the-ranger/)

"My full name is Generic Half-Elven Dual-Class Ranger."

"What's your other class?"

"Also Ranger."

"That's twice the maximum amount of Ranger the human body can hold!!"

"I'm only half-Human."

"Dear Lord, he's multiplying!" (http://www.nuklearpower.com/2004/07/03/episode-437-companion/)

Quizatzhaderac
2019-10-02, 11:38 AM
Actually, most of the kobolds are from the same family - in Koboldville, incidentally - and with each generation they randomly select vowels and do the "Y*ky*k" pattern. You can differentiate between Kobold families by the name they choose; "Y*ky*k" is one, "*K*lk*l" is another one that lived a few houses over.I have a new head-cannon. Kolbold has alot of vowels (IPA lists 32, and kobolds may have more than humans).

The consonants in a word just indicate the part of speech/ borad category of noun/ verb/advejective/ name.

The "Y*ky*k" pattern ndicated proper name of a kobold. The *K*lk*l" pattern indicates proper name of a flying kobold.

I'm also picturing a scene where the order meets a bunch of kobolds, who's names are identical except for dialectic marks. Vaarsuvius is unable to differentiate between names like Yœkyɵk and Yɶkyɘk, but Elan is. Elan is sympathetic and understand of Vaarsuvius' limitations, which really relly upsets Vaarsuvius.

Duff
2019-10-07, 10:29 PM
I'm also picturing a scene where the order meets a bunch of kobolds, who's names are identical except for dialectic marks. Vaarsuvius is unable to differentiate between names like Yœkyɵk and Yɶkyɘk, but Elan is. Elan is sympathetic and understand of Vaarsuvius' limitations, which really really upsets Vaarsuvius.
Hilarious!

Lvl 2 Expert
2019-10-16, 07:10 AM

But, in my humble opinion, the most likely explanation is that his clever partner was talking in game terms, an ogre with the half dragon template applied, while Enor is not enough of a gamer to think like that. He has a dragon parent ans an ogre parent, so half dragon half ogre.

The other explanation would be funnier is Enor was more of a double thinking powergamer than his conversational partner, showing the thought he had put into his build, it's so complex that his buddy can't keep up. A bit like the scene with the half ogre chain attack of opportunity guy. Enor does not strike me as that kind of character. He's too simple.

Schroeswald
2019-10-16, 07:19 AM
But, in my humble opinion, the most likely explanation is that his clever partner was talking in game terms, an ogre with the half dragon template applied, while Enor is not enough of a gamer to think like that. He has a dragon parent ans an ogre parent, so half dragon half ogre.

The other explanation would be funnier is Enor was more of a double thinking powergamer than his conversational partner, showing the thought he had put into his build, it's so complex that his buddy can't keep up. A bit like the scene with the half ogre chain attack of opportunity guy. Enor does not strike me as that kind of character. He's too simple.

While I agree with you
:thog:thog elegant in thog’s simplicity
:thog: fighter level 3 is dumb level. thog not take