PDA

View Full Version : Player Help How closely do the behaviours of DnD Dryads and Nyphms resemble their myth-selves?

Voidstar01
2019-09-23, 11:54 PM
This question is brought on by me trying to play an exalted good necromancer with nymph kissed, and I swear I remember one of the two bewitching pretty boys fairly regularly, but I'm unsure if I'm confusing the DnD versions with the mythical versions. Because if that is a thing they do, Nymph's Kiss becomes a hilariously poor exalted feat from a lore point considering that most of the times you wouldn't really have a choice in the matter.

Asmotherion
2019-09-24, 07:09 AM
in mythology a nymph is a generic term for a female spirit of nature similar to a demigodess. The were considered young women at the peak of their beauty.

there are categories of nymphs depending on what aspect of nature they represent; Nereids for example are nymphs of the seas wile Dryads were Nymphs of the trees.

Some variations of the myth has all of them be daughters of Zeus.

Some gods and goddesses had Nymphs as Divine cohorts and servants.

Blue Jay
2019-09-24, 05:21 PM
Yeah, in Greek & Roman mythology, nymphs were just generic nature spirits or lesser deities that happened to be beautiful women: they weren't really enchantresses like sirens or jorugumo or anything like that.

In general, I think the 3.5e nymph is fairly faithful to the mythology, except that she should have been given Knowledge (nature) and Survival as class skills, because she's supposed to be a nature spirit, and she should also have Peform, because the myths depicted nymphs as dancing and singing a lot. I'm not sure the Stunning Glance ability comes from the myths, and the Blinding Beauty ability is kind of a doofy extrapolation of their description as superlatively beautiful women. But I think the general feel of the nymph monster is somewhat well-matched to the myth.

For the dryad, I don't think they were really all that distinct from other nymphs, so I'm sure the specifics are modern inventions. I think the idea of a dryad being bonded to a specific tree is derived from myth (I think it was specifically hamadryads that were bonded to individual trees), but I don't think it worked the same way that modern fantasy portrays it. The dryad should also have Perform, and I'm not sure if the SLAs are really based in the myth (except maybe tree shape and tree stride). Also, since she's depicted as an enchantress, I feel like basing her SLAs on Wisdom was kind of an odd choice.

Jack_Simth
2019-09-24, 09:28 PM
The behaviors? Not very. To a goodly extent, the myths seemed to exist to give girls some privacy while bathing: The female nature spirits lured young men into the water to drown them, often with singing.

Psyren
2019-09-25, 07:31 AM
Myths in general tend to be much looser canons (thanks Lindsay Ellis for that epithet) than gaming adaptations because they have less need to categorize every single iteration of named fantasy being for easy consumption and encounter design. As an example, myths didn't overly concern themselves whether "elves" refer to the elegant, graceful, and long-haired Tolkien-inspiration variant or the short, industrious, hat-wearing variant, but D&D and other RPGs based on it derive a lot of value from calling that second group "gnomes." Similarly, when you come across a being that could be a Dryad, Nymph, Nereid, Siren, Rusalka, or even Succubus, D&D needs bright lines distinguishing all of these temptresses that their mythological origins usually don't.