PDA

View Full Version : My girlfriend loves lilies.

Rinquist
2007-10-15, 12:06 PM
She really does. So last Thursday I asked her if she'd like to go out for dinner on Friday night. I figured I'd go and pick up a couple stems of lilies in a nice vase and give them to her as a "just because" gift.

I had a root canal scheduled on Friday morning, so I had the day off from work. I don't think root canals are a big deal, and I recover fast anyhow. So I figure I could utilize the daytime to get all my stuff done, and pick up some lovely flowers for the lovely lady in my life. I set my alarm for 6:00am and went to bed early Thursday night. Friday was going to be perfect.

Or so I thought.

I woke up with a horrible crick in my neck, which I didn't realize was there until I jerked out of bed when my alarm went off. It hurt like holy hell for a few seconds, but no big deal. Hop in the shower and get this root canal out of the way, and everything'll be alright!

I finish getting ready, step outside of my apartment, lock the door, and admire the early morning Phoenix weather. It was a beautiful day, it just started cooling down here in the Valley, so to step out into an 85 degree morning is pretty amazing.

I head to my car, and I notice my gas tank is open. Weird, I didn't think too much of it, I had just bought a full tank on Thursday, so maybe it skipped my mind to close it. Whatever, with a quick flick of the wrist I slap it shut, and hop into my ride, and turn the key.

You know how in most newer model cars, how your gas gauge reads empty until you start the engine? Yeah, that's how my car is, except at this point my car has been started, but my gas gauge isn't moving. Matter of fact, my gas light is on.

I don't know how much fuel costs in other parts of the states, or even the world, but it's not exactly cheap in Phoenix. That's why I've resolved to get a locking gas cap, because some jerkass had been nice enough to siphon my fuel while I slept.

Whatever, I drive to the gas station, drop another 35 bucks on a tank, and head along on my way to the endodontist to get this root canal out of the way.

I stated before, dental work in general doesn't scare me. Root canals are fairly simple procedures these days, and the beauty of anesthesia means that you can't feel a thing while they drill down into your nerve endings. So bring it on, I say!

My appointment is at 8, I figure at the very worst I'll be out of there at 10.

Wrong again.

I'm sitting in that chair, and I get my first three shots of the numb stuff. We're doing good, really good. The dentist is just a couple years older than me, friendly dude. Probably drives a Benz and goes home to a trophy wife. His tech puts that goofy rubber dam on my tooth, and I'm thinking numb thoughts. "Let's get this over with, doc." I say, but it comes out more like "hehs hek hih hohar hee hok!"

We all know that sound. That high pitched "whirrrr" (yay onomatopoeia!) of a dentist's drill. Bring it on, I say! I feel the pressure as it hits my tooth, and after a quick moment of nothing, I suddenly feel excruciating pain.

When I was a kid, I played short stop on a little league team. I remember it was like game six of the season, and I had been up way too early getting my deliveries ready for my paper route. So I wasn't quite ready for that fast grounder when it popped up and hit me in the junk. That was probably the worst pain I've ever felt in my life.

Until that dentist's drill sunk into my tooth, that is. Long story short, he had to reapply anesthesia three times, and burn of a major portion of my gum off because it had grown into my cracked tooth. Doc was like, "So yeah, root canals aren't usually this bad, Mike ..."

No kidding, Doc.

"I'm gonna put you on narcotics, you're going to be in a lot of pain once the anesthesia wears off"

Thanks Doc.

The whole thing took 4 hours. I step outside, try to light up a cigarette, and it falls out of my mouth in an almost comical fashion. Good old anesthesia.

Let's go get those flowers for the lovely lady in my life. I hit the US60 Westbound, traffic was pretty light, we're looking good, real good. I merge onto the 101 Southbound, and exit on Ray Rd. and take a right turn onto Alma School. That's when this 17 year old girl who's cutting class zips out of a shopping plaza and t-bones me into the median.

My poor car is wrecked, I pull myself out of my car, and I'm now standing on the median. I can see the florist from where I'm standing, my face is numb, my stomach hurts from being empty, I have a crick in my neck, and the girl who hit me is now crying hysterically, and all I can think about is how they're going to tow my totaled car away after I just bought a brand new tank of gas.

Things could be a lot worse than this. I'm not being unrelentingly positive here, I'm still pretty peeved, but I'm still alive. We file the police report, I rip my CD changer out of my car, and I watch them drive away with the most expensive thing I own on a tow truck.

Defeated, I walk to the plaza where the florist is, buy some beautiful lilies for the lovely lady in my life, and call a cab home.

She had to drive us around that night, but dinner was great, and she loved the lilies. I guess that's all that really matters.

Amotis
2007-10-15, 12:10 PM
I'll smoke one off for you man. Rough day.

Hope you got some. :smallamused:

Rest, I mean. You must be tired.

Hannes
2007-10-15, 12:13 PM
That is one rough day... :smalleek:

Arang
2007-10-15, 12:16 PM
Well, you got the lilies. That's something.

Ego Slayer
2007-10-15, 12:21 PM
Wow, quite an adventurous day you had. o.O

In the end, that's all that matters, huh? :smallannoyed:

Rinquist
2007-10-15, 12:23 PM

Actually, after dinner I popped some of those narcotics for the pain and I was out like a light for a good 12 hours. Take care of your teeth!

Skippy
2007-10-15, 12:25 PM
Good advice. Why losing any of the action?

*Hurries to brush his teeth*

CrazedGoblin
2007-10-15, 01:00 PM
sounds a most eventfull day :smallbiggrin:

Thes Hunter
2007-10-15, 01:01 PM
Wow, that is one crappy day.

Congrats! I believe this deserves some sort of trophy!
http://www.holisticforgeworks.com/gallery/traditional_art/img/vac_trophy.jpg
:smallbiggrin:

averagejoe
2007-10-15, 01:09 PM
Oh, man, that dentist thing happened to me once. I was in, like, sixth grade and I knocked out my tooth by running into a wall, so I went in to get it fixed. Now, the dentist had taken a day to see me, so I was already in pretty bad pain (steadily increasing, especially after sleeping,) and I'd get this big jolt of pain whenever whenever anything touched my (front) cracked tooth, so that made eating/drinking a fun challenge. So, then, I go to get my tooth fixed, he gives me 3-4 shots of anesthesia, and even so, my entire face except that one tooth has lost all feeling. Finally, I just bear through it and say that it didn't hurt, even though it hurt like hell. :smallsigh:

Of course, that story is hilarious now. :smallcool:

Brickwall
2007-10-15, 01:32 PM
In the end, that's all that matters, huh? :smallannoyed:

*comment deleted because it was WAAAAY too inappropriate*

Anyway, you are not the only one with dental woes. (http://www.galactanet.com/comic/266.htm)

Still, good job surviving a rough day, I guess.

Syka
2007-10-15, 01:32 PM
You are pretty much the awesomest boyfriend, she's a lucky girl I tell ya. :smallbiggrin: How many guys would have persisted in getting their girl the flowers they like AND still taking them to dinner after a day like that?

Rest and be comforted. :)

Cheers,
Syka

Albub
2007-10-15, 01:40 PM
I applaud you, sir. That's perseverance of the most impressive magnitude. I foresee something good for you in the future, because the universe tends to balance itself out.

Bor the Barbarian Monk
2007-10-15, 01:43 PM
Rinquist, you rank amateur. Swing by 19th Ave & Indian School and I'll teach you how to trip over a curb and break a toe. Then we can at least enter you into the minor leagues. :smalltongue:

Oddly, I read the events of your day and thought, "He's going to be me one day." Be afraid, Rinquist...be VERY afraid.

Rinquist
2007-10-15, 03:57 PM
Rinquist, you rank amateur. Swing by 19th Ave & Indian School and I'll teach you how to trip over a curb and break a toe. Then we can at least enter you into the minor leagues. :smalltongue:

Oddly, I read the events of your day and thought, "He's going to be me one day." Be afraid, Rinquist...be VERY afraid.

I try to stay away from metro, Bor. I'm not enough of a tough-guy to endure being mugged, shot, stabbed, cut off, and having my windows cleaned (unwillingly) by a bum all at the same time. No wonder you're a barbarian monk.

You are pretty much the awesomest boyfriend, she's a lucky girl I tell ya. How many guys would have persisted in getting their girl the flowers they like AND still taking them to dinner after a day like that?

Hey, she's worth it. She tended to me all day long on Saturday, the trauma to my gums gave me a pretty nasty fever. So she cooked up some home made chicken noodle soup.

I applaud you, sir. That's perseverance of the most impressive magnitude. I foresee something good for you in the future, because the universe tends to balance itself out.

I don't really believe in karma, but after a day like Friday, I wouldn't mind having something go my way. :smallwink:

By the way, Bor - have you ever been to the Scottsdale motor mile? The claims adjuster tells me that I have some money coming, and seeing as I don't currently have a car, pinging around to different dealerships around town doesn't sound like a whole lot of fun.

rubakhin
2007-10-15, 03:57 PM
It probably says a lot about me that my first reaction to this story was "You got painkillers? Lucky bastard!"

StickMan
2007-10-15, 04:58 PM
The whole thing took 4 hours. I step outside, try to light up a cigarette, and it falls out of my mouth in an almost comical fashion. Good old anesthesia.

Well at least one good thing happened. That right there is the Anesthesia god doing your lungs a solid.

On a more serious note man, I think a planar rift to the abyss may opened up on you big time.

Rinquist
2007-10-15, 05:18 PM
Well at least one good thing happened. That right there is the Anesthesia god doing your lungs a solid.

On a more serious note man, I think a planar rift to the abyss may opened up on you big time.

Hey now, don't try to use any of your anti-smoking hoobajoo voodoo on me. I have friends that live off of Mountain Dew and Doritos, some with waist sizes that begin with the number 4, that try the same thing. I hit the gym three times a week. Just look up what the number one health risk is in the United States, (doing my best to avoid politics here) I could definitely be worse off. :smallamused:

And as for the abyss? Yeah I suppose. But I got a little taste of Celestia once I took my lady to that cozy Italian place in Tempe. :smallsmile:

DraPrime
2007-10-15, 05:24 PM
Ahhh, good old anesthesia. It makes you weak, tired, and nauseous. How fun! Wow, that day sucked, but at least it had a happy ending. I feel especially sorry for you about the cigarette part. As an ex-smoker I feel your pain.

Bor the Barbarian Monk
2007-10-15, 05:34 PM
By the way, Bor - have you ever been to the Scottsdale motor mile? The claims adjuster tells me that I have some money coming, and seeing as I don't currently have a car, pinging around to different dealerships around town doesn't sound like a whole lot of fun.
Ahhh...little did I know what I was moving into three years ago. Moved in Oct. 1, had a doubly homicide come early Feb. Good times, good times...NOT!

Still, not so bad for a guy who once worked in Brownsville, Brooklyn.

I don't drive, Rinq. ALL of my meds basically have a warning, "May cause drowsiness." At this point, they should all read, "May induce coma." :smalleek: I also haven't been near Scottsdale since I broke up with my ex. Not exactly sure what you were looking for in terms of an answer, such as, "Yes, it's great; go there." Couldn't tell you.

Besides...the way you fear the metro area, I fear Scottsdale prices. :smalltongue:

Cyrano
2007-10-15, 06:17 PM
This is the sort of romantic gesture I hope to one day make when I'm all growed up, minus, the, you know, blinding pain. And the, ah, monetary loss.

Rinquist
2007-10-15, 06:46 PM
This is the sort of romantic gesture I hope to one day make when I'm all growed up, minus, the, you know, blinding pain. And the, ah, monetary loss.

Blinding pain and monetary loss are two things that come with age. And I'm only 25!

de-trick
2007-10-15, 08:54 PM
wow, talk about a bad morning, but at least the night was good

bluewind95
2007-10-15, 10:43 PM
While that was indeed a nasty day, it was sweet of you to persist in seeing your girlfriend and even getting her lilies.

Vuzzmop
2007-10-16, 12:06 AM
Nasty one dude. Really nice of you to still go all out after a day like that. I have to get a perecision done soon, (an incision into the gum) so I hope that my anasthesia works better than that.

starwoof
2007-10-16, 12:07 AM
Aww, thats so sweet!

Hephaestus
2007-10-16, 08:45 AM
I step outside, try to light up a cigarette, and it falls out of my mouth in an almost comical fashion. Good old anesthesia.

Let's go get those flowers for the lovely lady in my life. I hit the US60 Westbound, traffic was pretty light, we're looking good, real good. I merge onto the 101 Southbound, and exit on Ray Rd.

You were under anesthesia to the point of not being able to hold a cigarette in your mouth, but you drove?... That sounds kinda dangerous....:smallconfused:

Serpentine
2007-10-16, 08:46 AM
I believe it was local anaesthetic.

Rinquist
2007-10-16, 10:58 AM
The anesthesia didn't effect my perceptions, it just numbed my jaw. It'd be a different story if I had popped some of the hydrocodone that the doc had prescribed, but I waited until well into the evening before taking those.

Kaelaroth
2007-10-16, 03:09 PM
That is so nice of you Rinquist. After all that and you still did it for her!

You must be the best boy-friend ever - I hope she appreciates you. :smallsmile:

Keep up the good work!

TheThan
2007-10-16, 03:33 PM
Blinding pain and monetary loss are two things that come with age. And I'm only 25!

Quoted for truth!