View Full Version : What is the price of a permanent teleportation circle

SpicyBoi_Nezu
2019-09-24, 08:28 PM
My DM is claiming that for our party to create a teleportation circle in one of our hideouts and another in our base of operations that is located about one week worth of travel apart, the price would be 2,500,000 gp for each circle. The main thing is that we are paying one of our connections to make it.

How realistic are these prices, because obviously it doesn't make sense for each of the temples of major gods to be able to afford to have one, especially if each circle costs 2.5 million gold.

I dont know how my DM is calculating this price, and he won't allow me to question this in or out of character, and our characters have to take out a loan, as well as use a favor with the government just to get the initial down payment, and will have to spend the next many years paying this off, and we originally planned on making a lot of these in multiple locations across the continent.

tstewt1921
2019-09-24, 08:40 PM
Using the item creation rules in the DMG it would be on use or continuous, so you would look at the math of Spell level x Caster Level x 2000g. So minimum it would be 9 x 17 x 2000 = 324,000g per circle. Atleast that's how I would make it work, since you would be making part of the floor in the tower/castle its in.

RatElemental
2019-09-24, 08:43 PM
Going by the strictest raw and assuming minimum caster level...

The teleportation circle itself will run you 1000 for the material component plus 1530 for the spell itself, the permanency will cost 22500 for the exp plus 850 for the spell itself.

Note that the caster will generally turn down the job unless they live near where you want to have the spells cast, and you need to find a 17th level caster which even a metropolis isn't guaranteed to have. The cost for the permanency also goes above 3000 which means the spell isn't generally available.

All in all though, following the guidelines arrives at a cost of 25 thousand. While the DM is free to assign a value higher than this, that's two orders of magnitude less than the quoted price. It sounds like you're either in a low magic setting or the DM either just doesn't want a teleport circle network and is giving you hoops in hopes you won't bother jumping through them, or wants magic to be a really big deal.

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-09-24, 10:30 PM
Ahem. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/permanency.htm)

It's the cost of a casting of teleportation circle + permanency, with a cost of 4,500 XP x 5 in GP.

Of course, if you can cast them yourself, all it has are the costs in spell slots, 1,000 GP, and 4,500 XP.

Don't pay 2.5 million gp. If nothing else, just buy the damned scrolls.

Jack_Simth
2019-09-24, 10:35 PM
My DM is claiming that for our party to create a teleportation circle in one of our hideouts and another in our base of operations that is located about one week worth of travel apart, the price would be 2,500,000 gp for each circle. The main thing is that we are paying one of our connections to make it.

How realistic are these prices, because obviously it doesn't make sense for each of the temples of major gods to be able to afford to have one, especially if each circle costs 2.5 million gold.

I dont know how my DM is calculating this price, and he won't allow me to question this in or out of character, and our characters have to take out a loan, as well as use a favor with the government just to get the initial down payment, and will have to spend the next many years paying this off, and we originally planned on making a lot of these in multiple locations across the continent.

As others have noted, that's a significant departure from standard pricing.

As an alternative, the Stronghold Builder's Guide has the Greater Platform of Jaunting, which is 76,500 gp (market price), and will let you go anywhere on the plane, rather than just to one fixed location. You'll still need two, though.

That said: It sounds very much like the DM simply doesn't want you to have it, not really, so basically any idea is likely to get nixed.

Bronk
2019-09-25, 07:15 AM
As another point of comparison, the epic 'Gate Key' item makes linked portals and has 60 charges, which works out to only 6300 gold per charge.

SpicyBoi_Nezu
2019-09-25, 11:06 AM
Note that the caster will generally turn down the job unless they live near where you want to have the spells cast, and you need to find a 17th level caster which even a metropolis isn't guaranteed to have. The cost for the permanency also goes above 3000 which means the spell isn't generally available.

All in all though, following the guidelines arrives at a cost of 25 thousand. While the DM is free to assign a value higher than this, that's two orders of magnitude less than the quoted price. It sounds like you're either in a low magic setting or the DM either just doesn't want a teleport circle network and is giving you hoops in hopes you won't bother jumping through them, or wants magic to be a really big deal.

This campaign takes place in a highly advanced society (picture industrial revolution, but with magic) and we are currently building one in two medium sized cities, we also have access to personnel all across the entire continent (due to connections with the government)

That rules low magic setting, as well as the required spellcaster. I just feel like my DM doesn't really know how creating something like this works, and will be sure to bring it up with him.

Telonius
2019-09-25, 11:40 AM
It's possible he knows exactly how it's supposed to work, but also wants to prevent the advent of the Tippyverse. I'd lead with, "If you don't want us to do this, that's totally cool; just let us know. But here's how the rules say it's supposed to be..."

RatElemental
2019-09-25, 04:27 PM
It's possible he knows exactly how it's supposed to work, but also wants to prevent the advent of the Tippyverse. I'd lead with, "If you don't want us to do this, that's totally cool; just let us know. But here's how the rules say it's supposed to be..."

Even with a teleport circle network the Tippyverse is still a few steps away.

that said, if the setting really is 'the industrial revolution, but with magic' then the Tippyverse was ground up designed to be an attempt to describe the end state of exactly that.

Kelb_Panthera
2019-09-26, 04:31 PM
Faerun splats have rules for making permanent gates to perform the same function and even they don't put the price anywhere near what your DM has set. He's plainly pulled that number out of his back-side.

One of two things is happening here. Either your GM doesn't want to give you a flat "no" where he really ought to if that's what he really means or it's a plo-hook. You may have stumbled into a magical transportation cartel's price-fixing scheme.

It's probably just a matter of him not wanting to just give you the "no" he ought to. It'd be a simple matter to declare that the extant portals of that nature are a matter of divine intervention. That said, 2.5M is chump-change to a major religious organization that would have need for such a network.

Asmotherion
2019-09-26, 06:46 PM
You may favor portals (https://www.realmshelps.net/magic/portals.shtml) and even craft them yourself with the right feat (craft portal).

A permanent Teleportation Circle costs 17(min caster level)x90(9th level multiplier)=1530gp
Permanency costs: 9x50=450gp+(4500(xp cost of permanency)x5(xp value multiplier)=22500gp)=22950gp

Both spells together cost 24480gp. Your DM has way overpriced it but since the casting of permanency surpacess the 3000 cost anything is a fair price (since the spell is not readily available by RAW a caster can demand any price he deems his casting is worth).

As suggested before using scrolls should function better.