PDA

View Full Version : Can someone explain the apprentice feat to me?

Voidstar01
2019-09-25, 11:21 AM
specifically the spellcaster one, I gain 1(?) extra spell known for free, and 2(?) skill points, and UMD and a Knowledge as class skills

My questions are, do I gain extra skill points every level or just at 1? how many spells do I gain?

Deadline
2019-09-25, 12:17 PM
specifically the spellcaster one, I gain 1(?) extra spell known for free, and 2(?) skill points, and UMD and a Knowledge as class skills

My questions are, do I gain extra skill points every level or just at 1? how many spells do I gain?

The apprentice feat for spellcasters doesn't give 2 skill points, it gives a +2 competence bonus to Spellcraft. To answer your questions:

Do I gain extra skill points every level or just at 1? - You don't gain any extra skill points
How many spells do I gain? - You gain 1 spell known at 1st level. Wizards can copy spells from their Mentor's spellbook without a cost (at the Mentor's permission, of course). Sorcerers can swap out a different spell known when gaining a level. Clerics can select a "preferred" spell that they can spontaneously cast, and can swap that "preferred" spell out when they gain a level.

Voidstar01
2019-09-25, 12:34 PM
You don't gain any extra skill points[/I]

"A character immediately gains two new class skills and two bonus skill points to spend on these class skills"

That's just general apprentice stuff so I suppose I could phrase my question better.

Deadline
2019-09-25, 12:42 PM
"A character immediately gains two new class skills and two bonus skill points to spend on these class skills"

That's just general apprentice stuff so I suppose I could phrase my question better.

Ah, I see that part on page 175. It's also pretty clear in the part of that sentence that you left out: "Upon becoming an apprentice, a character immediately ...". So to answer your skillpoints question, you get 2 skill points when you become an apprentice, and you can only spend those points on the two class skills you gain from the feat.

DwarvenWarCorgi
2019-09-25, 12:43 PM
I believe the intent was just 2 points when you take the feat (not at any additional level) so you can get the skills without having to penalize anything else.

Edit:saged

Zaq
2019-09-26, 08:27 AM
Do note that the new skills stop being class skills after your 5th character level. Read all of pg. 178.

Voidstar01
2019-09-26, 11:44 AM
Do note that the new skills stop being class skills after your 5th character level. Read all of pg. 178.

I mean, my first draft skill list had 7 ranks in profession (dentistry) so it's mostly the improved cap I care about.

weckar
2019-09-28, 09:12 PM
Unless you also have Able Learner.

DrMotives
2019-09-28, 09:37 PM
Even if a skill is no longer a class skill for you, if it ever was the max ranks are figured as a class skill. That's why things like racial substitution levels adding a class skill for that one level is still an alright benefit. You might have to spend extra points to keep it maxed later on, but it has the higher max ranks.

Zaq
2019-09-28, 11:31 PM
Even if a skill is no longer a class skill for you, if it ever was the max ranks are figured as a class skill. That's why things like racial substitution levels adding a class skill for that one level is still an alright benefit. You might have to spend extra points to keep it maxed later on, but it has the higher max ranks.

Yes, entirely true. But the point is that since the rule is in a weird place relative to the rest of the feat, it's easy to miss, so it's distressingly easy to not realize that you do, in fact, have to pay those extra points if the only reason it was a class skill is because of Apprentice.

Voidstar01
2019-09-29, 12:49 AM
Yes, entirely true. But the point is that since the rule is in a weird place relative to the rest of the feat, it's easy to miss, so it's distressingly easy to not realize that you do, in fact, have to pay those extra points if the only reason it was a class skill is because of Apprentice.

The fact that I have to pay 2 skill points after level 5 isn't a problem, I had enough skill points to put 7 ranks in profession dentistry in an ill-conceived attempt to use the black lore of moil while staying exalted good, until I realized that the 6 skill points I got from nymph kissed didn't counter the 7 in dentistry and I didn't really care about the rest of the feat (aside from the +2 to UMD).