PDA

View Full Version : Battling with a low BAB.

Shinizak
2019-09-25, 11:47 AM
How's it going guys? I'm making a mystic theurge, but I'm currently only 4 levels in. This means that I have no BAB to speak of. My skill list is bursting at the seams, but that doesn't translate to combat ability.

What are some clever ways to stay viable in a fight with a sub-par BAB?

Koo Rehtorb
2019-09-25, 11:51 AM
I guess you could try playing a game without BAB, then it wouldn't matter that yours is low.

KillianHawkeye
2019-09-25, 12:00 PM
Use touch attacks. Or spells that don't require attack rolls.

legomaster00156
2019-09-25, 12:02 PM
Spells without attack rolls are your friend. AoE's, Hold Person, etc. do not require you to roll anything.

Telonius
2019-09-25, 12:04 PM
4 levels in to the build, or 4 levels in to the Prestige Class?

Generally, you should be doing things where your BAB either doesn't matter, or matters a whole lot less. I'm assuming you're going Wizard/Cleric. There are plenty of low-level buff and debuff spells. Bane/Bless, Doom, Magic Weapon, Ray of Enfeeblement, Grease. If you're only 4 levels in to the build, you do have to be a little stingy with them, but if you're 4 levels in to the PrC, you should have oodles of spell slots. Magic Missile if you can't figure out what else to do. If all else fails, Aid Another.

Buufreak
2019-09-25, 01:40 PM
I read low bab and mystic theurge, and it makes me want to ask if this character is wading waist deep into combat with a sword.

That silly idea aside, with 4 levels of MT, minus early entry cheese, you should be casting as a 7th level divine and 7th level arcane. There should be plenty of spells in the zap and kaboom categories to fill all your daily spell slots and still have you safely tucked away, none of which are much reliant on bab, if at all.

liquidformat
2019-09-25, 01:54 PM
typically with mystic theurge types you are wanting to ignore ray spells and other such spells that require touch or ranged touch attacks.

Biggus
2019-09-25, 02:47 PM
Divine Power?

Silvercrys
2019-09-25, 02:55 PM
If you're level 4, get a crossbow. Your attack bonus is pretty bad but it's not so bad that you can't hit yet, even if your Dex is only 12 or something.

If you're level 10, the rest of this advice is good, use spells that don't have attack rolls and stuff like that. Once you get Divine Power you can try that but you probably can't use it every combat.

Psyren
2019-09-25, 04:54 PM
Most of my advice has been given, but there is one more - check if your GM would be okay with the Fractional BAB variant (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sg/20060303a) (it's not in the SRD because it's a sidebar, but it comes from UA like a lot of other SRD material.)

ShurikVch
2019-09-25, 05:36 PM
How about to get a Blunderbuss (Dragon #321) or Sprayer (Arms and Equipment Guide) - both are AoE?

Eldonauran
2019-09-25, 05:40 PM
How's it going guys? I'm making a mystic theurge, but I'm currently only 4 levels in. This means that I have no BAB to speak of. My skill list is bursting at the seams, but that doesn't translate to combat ability.

What are some clever ways to stay viable in a fight with a sub-par BAB?
The role of a mystic theurge is that of support. If you are going to be using your BAB to do anything, it should be aid another to give a boost to someone else's attack. Better use of your actions are buffing spells, skills to support your allies, and making the battlefield more difficult for the enemies to maneuver through.

DEMON
2019-09-25, 06:03 PM
In addition to what was already mentioned here, focusing on summoning and/or battlefield control is quite a viable option for BAB-less combat viability.

Also, Divine Power (already suggested) is the spell that fixes your BAB issues in a heartbeat.

farothel
2019-09-26, 10:52 AM
Get the feat Knowledge devotion. It allows you to roll for each critter the appropriate knowledge skill (I assume you have them all, otherwise it's a good investment) and that gives a +1 to +5 bonus depending on the result, both on to hit and damage. Quite useful for knowledge characters.