PDA

View Full Version : So I created this custom Magic Item

Cikomyr
2019-09-25, 11:52 AM
My group is limited in term of healing power, so I decided to be nice about it and give them a custom Magic item.

The idea came from Gloomhaven where, if you buy a potion, it's not a 1-and-done. Basically, you get a potion every mission. I jokily called it "getting a subscription"

Similarly, I gave my players a magic item that basically give them N eauivalent of healing potions per day, where N is the proficiency bonus.

These potions can't be saved from day to day. Charges can't stack up. You get 2 potion/day, period, no playing around.

Since they started doing such "x charges per day" for wands and staves, I thought something similar would be neat for healing potions.

The fact that its not 1 and done means your player use them a lot more liberally.

Guy Lombard-O
2019-09-25, 12:05 PM
My group is limited in term of healing power, so I decided to be nice about it and give them a custom Magic item.

The idea came from Gloomhaven where, if you buy a potion, it's not a 1-and-done. Basically, you get a potion every mission. I jokily called it "getting a subscription"

Similarly, I gave my players a magic item that basically give them N eauivalent of healing potions per day, where N is the proficiency bonus.

These potions can't be saved from day to day. Charges can't stack up. You get 2 potion/day, period, no playing around.

Since they started doing such "x charges per day" for wands and staves, I thought something similar would be neat for healing potions.

The fact that its not 1 and done means your player use them a lot more liberally.

It sounds like, instead of an actual potion, what you want is basically a magical flask of healing. Generates N droughts of healing potion per day, must be drunk from the flask or loses potency.

Cikomyr
2019-09-25, 12:08 PM
It sounds like, instead of an actual potion, what you want is basically a magical flask of healing. Generates N droughts of healing potion per day, must be drunk from the flask or loses potency.

Oh, I just wanted to share. The magic item is basically a replicator of a Perfect Strawberry with N charges per day. The Perfect Strawberry loses potency after a day.

Players can distribute the Strawberry along themselves.

J-H
2019-09-25, 12:12 PM
Sure. I think there's a flask of ale or something that does/did similar.

Rukelnikov
2019-09-25, 12:29 PM
2d4+2 healing averages to 7 hp, its comparable to a 1st lvl character using Cure Wounds (1d8+3, avg 7.5 assuming +3 mod), so at low levels this basically gives you 2 free 1st lvl Cure Wounds a day, which is nice. And the growth based on proficiency is also neat and elegant, and uses 5e chasis.

I give your design 4 stars, and balance 5 stars (if its an uncommon item).

Cikomyr
2019-09-25, 12:40 PM
2d4+2 healing averages to 7 hp, its comparable to a 1st lvl character using Cure Wounds (1d8+3, avg 7.5 assuming +3 mod), so at low levels this basically gives you 2 free 1st lvl Cure Wounds a day, which is nice. And the growth based on proficiency is also neat and elegant, and uses 5e chasis.

I give your design 4 stars, and balance 5 stars (if its an uncommon item).

Awww shucks xxx <3

Callin
2019-09-25, 12:47 PM
Will it go up by tier? More advanced healing potions i mean.

LordEntrails
2019-09-25, 12:51 PM
50gp per permanent potion? Pretty cheap. And the economists among the faithful will point out all sorts of havoc it would wreck upon the genearl economy. But for game purposes it is fine as long as you limit the number they can carry. Otherwise at 10th level a PC might be walking around with 500 of them to use after every encounter.

Cikomyr
2019-09-25, 12:56 PM
50gp per permanent potion? Pretty cheap. And the economists among the faithful will point out all sorts of havoc it would wreck upon the genearl economy. But for game purposes it is fine as long as you limit the number they can carry. Otherwise at 10th level a PC might be walking around with 500 of them to use after every encounter.

It's technically a magical item, so only available as the DM discretion.

In my game, it's literally a unique magic item. It wasn't even meant to be a healing pill dispenser.

MikeRoxTheBoat
2019-09-25, 02:54 PM
Sounds like you imported the Estus mechanic from Dark Souls into D&D!

Vogie
2019-09-25, 03:17 PM
I've thought of something similar, using the potions from Path of Exile as a model.

Each PC would have 1-2 flasks, that can give any number of effects:

3d4+3 healing this turn
1d6+1 healing for the next 3 turns
+10 movement speed for 2 turns
Nourishment for a period of days
Other consumable resources or boons, such as perception bonuses

Whenever you take a downtime long rest in a safe zone (such as a town, etc), they're instantly refilled. While out adventuring, you accumulate points that can slowly refill the flask, or, during a short or long rest, channel their hit dice into the flasks to be used during combat.