PDA

View Full Version : Bonus Action Option Bonzana - The DM safety net

Cikomyr
2019-09-25, 12:48 PM
So as a DM, I discovered something interesting about action economy and PC psychology.

Your players will rarely take a "neat " option that cost them an action. Unless its central to the current conflict and will make all the difference, they'd rather use attacks, spells, etc..

However, they are more liberal with their bonus action. I discovered last game the degree of self doubt players experience when they are overwhelmed with potential bonus action choices.

Barbarian:.. Do I go into a rage, or I use the healing item..

Rogue/Warlock: do I use cunning action, do my Hex spell, etc

And they ask me for cool custom magic item which I don't mind creating for them. But theres a slightly poisoned pill:

Most "cool" magic item will cost them a bonus action to activate.

I mean.. It's so great. I discovered basically a self-limiting mechanics that I can use to shower cool stuff to my players without them breaking the game balance too much. And they won't feel cheated by these limitations because they can still do their "core" actions/movements.

LordEntrails
2019-09-25, 12:54 PM
Yep, I'm pretty sure the bonus action dilemma was central to the games design. I don wonder what a "neat" option is though.

Cikomyr
2019-09-25, 12:57 PM
Yep, I'm pretty sure the bonus action dilemma was central to the games design. I don wonder what a "neat" option is though.

Extra movement
Hex spell
Extra minor buff

Etc.. Not actual powerful spells or attacks

MaxWilson
2019-09-25, 01:16 PM

Making one more attack with an off-hand weapon?

The OP does have me pondering, however, on what would happen if I offered players situational affordances as bonus actions instead of object interactions, like "You can throw the lever to close the portcullises in this castle, but they are heavy and it costs a bonus action."

sithlordnergal
2019-09-25, 01:17 PM

Personally my favorite "neat" options are things like using the Wand of Carols to try and force our foes to sing Christmas Carols as they fight for 1 minute. It has no mechanical effect, and they're still able to do things like cast spells or sing under their breath to make Stealth checks. Its just a funny thing to do. Or use my Cloak of Billowing to make it billow heroically as I face a deadly foe.