PDA

View Full Version : Warlock BBEG?

kjones
2007-10-15, 01:02 PM
I'm working on making a BBEG for my current campaign. I like the flavor of the Warlock a whole lot; in fact, it fits perfectly with what I want to do. However, it seems like it would be sort of boring to fight a "final boss" whose tactics consist entirely of throwing around eldritch blasts. Can anyone suggest a good Warlock build (level 5-10, any books) that would make a satisfyingly nasty BBEG?

Or should I just scrap the Warlock idea, and make a Wiz/Sorc with some "demonic bloodlines" hand-waved in? I'd rather not do this, since my party has both a wizard and a sorcerer, and it would be fun to put them up against something they've never seen.

Kaelaroth
2007-10-15, 01:14 PM
I verily suggest the lesser invocations that allow the warlock to both fly and animate corpses. Fell Flight and Walk the Dead Walk? Something like that - it'll allow him to be a hard villain, swooping around, animating the zombies of those he kills with his eldritch blasts. Hideous Blow allows him to use his blast in melee combat. The various blast shape invocations kick mightily- especially eldrictch spear - I also suggest Point Blank Shot and Ability Focus - so that you be can be as far away or as near to them as you want, and still beat the helll outta them as much as you want.

I hope that was somewhat helpful.

Solo
2007-10-15, 01:19 PM
http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=751117

That's how to make a good warlock.

Tell me the desired level and playstyle of your warlock, and I'll see if I can help.

kjones
2007-10-15, 02:48 PM
The linked thread is interesting, but I'm more interested in making a memorable villain than a powerful character. Level should be anywhere between 5 and 10, since I haven't determined when this final confrontation will take place. The character should be slightly insane, with strong nationalistic tendencies and a gleeful disregard for her own well-being in the quest for, you guessed it, ultimate arcane power.

cupkeyk
2007-10-15, 02:52 PM
Give him the shatter ability, they enter the "Alchemists" laboratory and the fight ensues. Instead of attacking the characters he shatters vials instead creating chains of small fireballs or gouts of acid. Shatter floor boards and let the party walk through difficult terrain or fall into the basement. Shattered glass create caltrops all over the floor.

*shrug*

AslanCross
2007-10-15, 05:06 PM
Eldritch Glaive is both a powerful blast shape and an interesting, alternative way of using the Eldritch Blast. It basically turns your eldritch blast into a touch attack with reach range, and you can do a full attack with it. You can also make AOOs with it until your next turn. Better than just zapping and zapping. The BBEG in my campaign is a warlock too (albeit a half-fiend ogre mage warlock/blackguard, so he definitely has melee power and some annoying spell-like abilities.)

But yeah, more mundane options include Fell Flight and other things that make the BBEG harder to deal with in a straight fight.

(Don't forget wands and scrolls. Warlocks can use them due to Deceive Item)

streakster
2007-10-15, 05:26 PM
Dude, make it a pixie. Just for the sheer what the hell value.

Also, waive the twelve invocation limit. That way, he can use stony grasps and tentacles and such to break up the blasts. Use lots of essence and shape invocations to break it up further. Maybe make the pixie a manipulator as well, turning people against the heroes with that CHA and various warlock invo's such as beguiling influence and charm. They return home to find that the king hates them, and they have to fight their own home guard.

Kurald Galain
2007-10-15, 05:30 PM
Also, waive the twelve invocation limit.

Technically, you can spend all your feats on extra invocations. Warlocks don't have many better feats than that, anyway. Well, except imp initiative, of course.

martyboy74
2007-10-15, 05:42 PM
Technically, you can spend all your feats on extra invocations. Warlocks don't have many better feats than that, anyway. Well, except imp initiative, of course.

As a NPC, who won't be doing more than one fight per day, the Metamagic SLA feats might actually be worth something.

DraPrime
2007-10-15, 05:42 PM
Dude, make it a pixie. Just for the sheer what the hell value.

Better yet, make it an intelligent kitten. Here's how the first character death will play out:

Fighter: Hey, a cute kitty!
Wizard: Aren't you suspicious about why a kitten is in the middle of a dungeon?
Fighter: Of course not.
*eldritch big boom explodey bloody fire death*
Wizard: RUN FROM THE KITTY OF DOOM!

deadseashoals
2007-10-15, 05:45 PM
I verily suggest the lesser invocations that allow the warlock to both fly and animate corpses. Fell Flight and Walk the Dead Walk? Something like that - it'll allow him to be a hard villain, swooping around, animating the zombies of those he kills with his eldritch blasts. Hideous Blow allows him to use his blast in melee combat. The various blast shape invocations kick mightily- especially eldrictch spear - I also suggest Point Blank Shot and Ability Focus - so that you be can be as far away or as near to them as you want, and still beat the helll outta them as much as you want.

I hope that was somewhat helpful.

I like this, you could also add a bunch of corpses in the main room where you want the PCs to fight him. Maybe have a couple on permanent sentry duty, and when the PCs walk in, he starts animating a new one every round while flying and invisible. They'll want to get rid of him very quickly after that.