PDA

View Full Version : Eberron: Rising from the Last War - NEW COVER

Vorenus
2019-09-25, 08:27 PM
Just in case anyone may have missed the news from a couple of weeks ago, the forthcoming Eberron campaign book, EBERRON: RISING FROM THE LAST WAR, is going to have a different cover than what was previously shown. The alternate cover by Vance is still going to be available from game stores (exclusively in store, not online), but the cover they had been planning to use is now the frontispiece to chapter 1 and they have gone with a completely different cover art. You can check it out at this link:

https://comicbook.com/gaming/2019/09/13/dungeons-and-dragons-eberron-rising-new-cover/

There's also information at that link about what will happen for people who purchased the Wayfarer's Guide to Eberron.

Before I decided to post this, I did a search using Giant's search tool but I didn't find this already posted anywhere, so I thought I would share it just in case some people may not already know--I didn't find out until today when I was looking at it on Amazon and noticed the cover had changed, which led me to do a Google search to see if I was going crazy.

Anyway, hopefully this is useful and interesting information to at least one other person out there.

--Vorenus

Imbalance
2019-09-25, 09:56 PM
I've taken to quietly attributing such things to the Mandela effect until I find out otherwise. I noticed it on Amazon, too, and was very much relieved when I saw mention of it elsewhere and again, now, with this verification. I think I prefer this new cover to the one initially shown.

Millstone85
2019-09-26, 01:34 AM
For comparison:
https://www.tribality.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/covers.jpghttps://media.dnd.wizards.com/styles/product_tabletop_left/public/images/product/PI_eberron_lastwar.png
original main cover, alternate cover, new main cover

The original cover received a mixed reaction from fans, as they felt it did a poor job of properly encapsulating Eberron. After internal deliberation, the D&D publication team decided to switch out the original cover with an interior art page.So Crawford lied when, during the initial reaction, he called the cover a placeholder (https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/1163861437376151552).

I mean, maybe they just had that deliberation, so it was technically not a lie, the best kind of lie.

Evaar
2019-09-26, 07:53 PM
So Crawford lied when, during the initial reaction, he called the cover a placeholder (https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/1163861437376151552).

I mean, maybe they just had that deliberation, so it was technically not a lie, the best kind of lie.

Or he isn't the one specifically coordinating the location of all the art pieces and was slightly mistaken. But you're getting in the Eberron frame of mind, so good for you.

HappyDaze
2019-09-27, 02:29 PM
I like the new cover better than the one with the white-haired elf lady, but I'm still going to go for the alternate cover in this case because I really like it.

Millstone85
2019-09-27, 02:47 PM
the white-haired elf ladyAccording to the article, she is a gnome.

Edit:

For any of you who have been watching Acquisitions Incorporated, the artificer you are looking at is actually the gnome Vi.I don't watch AI, but I remember this:
In the City of Sigil, artificers share discoveries from throughout the cosmos, and one in particular—the gnome inventor named Vi—runs a multiverse-spanning business from there.

I knew that RftLW would introduce a way to connect the Orrery to the Great Wheel, but this suggests it might be much more than a sidebar.

GlenSmash!
2019-09-27, 03:20 PM
That alternate cover is much more evocative of the setting.

Sception
2019-09-27, 07:17 PM
I like the alternate cover much more. Not that I hated the original cover as a piece of art in and of itsrlf, but it didn't feel quite up to the job for the cover art.

The limeted edition civer is still better than both by far, glad I put in the order for it with the local store. Still, if something goes wrong with that order, I won't be too disappointed to end up with the new regular cover.

HappyDaze
2019-09-28, 06:45 AM
According to the article, she is a gnome.

Nonsense; gnomes do not exist.

Arkhios
2019-09-29, 05:58 AM

At the very least, they should've been left into the Monster Manual, like they did when 4th edition came out:

https://youtu.be/4UqFPujRZWo?t=43

Bundin
2019-09-29, 01:09 PM
I really really like the alternate cover, but I will get the "new" regular one. The alternate cover doesn't exactly work with the standard design/layout of the 5e books. Give me design that fits the art of the alternate cover and I'm all over that.

Millstone85
2019-09-30, 07:01 AM
The alternate cover doesn't exactly work with the standard design/layout of the 5e books.I also like consistency, which is one reason why, so far, I haven't bothered with alternate covers.

Another reason is that I really like the detailed art of the main covers. But with RftLW, for the first time, the alternate cover looked more detailled than the main one.

So I was hesitating. But now, the new main cover is my favourite of the three. I dig the Iron-Man-looking warforged wizard, the halfling with a velociraptor (on the back cover) and the desolate location.

At the very least, they should've been left into the Monster ManualOutside of weird variants, like the aforementioned dinosaur-riding halflings of Eberron, I actually prefer gnomes.

Petrocorus
2019-09-30, 08:23 AM
I still prefer the cover of the Wayfinder guide.

I feel a bit robbed not having the full Artificer class in the Wayfinder.

Sception
2019-09-30, 08:41 AM

Including all the artificer subclasses in Wayfarer would have been nice, but I'm more surprised that they're putting the class in it at all.

RedMage125
2019-09-30, 09:53 AM
I still prefer the cover of the Wayfinder guide.

The cover of the WGtE -as well as all of the interior art- comes from 3.5e or 4e sources. Personally, I want all new artwork.

stoutstien
2019-09-30, 09:59 AM
I don't know if I'm going crazy but everytime I look at the new cover I can't
help but think of a Beastie boys music video.

I do like how non cartoon like the warforged actually looks. I like warforged bit the artwork has always had them more go-bots than an atomic war machines.

Arkhios
2019-09-30, 10:23 AM
Including all the artificer subclasses in Wayfarer would have been nice, but I'm more surprised that they're putting the class in it at all.

Well, they made people pay 20 bucks, give or take, for a pdf so it's more than fair to include a somewhat "iconic" Artificer in it, kinda like the basic document/"SRD" has one of each sub-classes for all the base classes.

Petrocorus
2019-09-30, 10:30 AM

Well, we did pay for an incomplete version of half a book at the price of the PDF of a full book.
We did so to push the project forward and to help this, but given the price and that we did help it, this is not too much to ask to have the full rules part of the book, IMHO.

As a matter of fact, i'd really like that WotC revise its policy about selling PDF.

Arkhios
2019-09-30, 12:52 PM
As a matter of fact, i'd really like that WotC revise its policy about selling PDF.

Agreed. Paizo's been doing that from the beginning of Pathfinder's release, and still their physical books sell just as well.

Plus it would be ecologically wise decision, given the current state of things (less need to cut down our precious forests)

Petrocorus
2019-09-30, 01:08 PM
Agreed. Paizo's been doing that from the beginning of Pathfinder's release, and still their physical books sell just as well.

Plus it would be ecologically wise decision, given the current state of things (less need to cut down our precious forests)

Not to mention this certainly don't prevent pirated PDF to be available.

Arkhios
2019-09-30, 01:41 PM
Not to mention this certainly don't prevent pirated PDF to be available.

*gasp* is there such a thing!? :smallcool: