PDA

View Full Version : Throwing a Large Weapon as a Medium creature

LentilNinja
2019-09-26, 07:09 AM
(This isn't a question of "should I?", it's a question of "can I?")

I've been searching through rules and forums alike, and I've not been able to find any answer anywhere so here goes.

As a Medium creature, I can throw a Medium Javelin with one hand.

As a Medium creature (AFAIK), I can wield a Large Javelin as a melee weapon in two-hands with a -2 penalty (-4 more because no proficiency).

If the above are true, taking into consideration throwing a two-handed weapon takes a Full-Round action, can I throw a Large Javelin with two hands? If so, what penalties will I suffer for it?

ShurikVch
2019-09-26, 10:52 AM
How about the Throw Anything feat (Complete Warrior) to be extra sure?

Or, maybe, take a level in Hulking Hurler for Really Throw Anything CF?

Drackstin
2019-09-26, 11:09 AM
Daggers, clubs, shortspears, spears, darts, javelins, throwing axes, light hammers, tridents, shuriken, and nets are thrown weapons. The wielder applies his or her Strength modifier to damage dealt by thrown weapons (except for splash weapons). It is possible to throw a weapon that isn’t designed to be thrown (that is, a melee weapon that doesn’t have a numeric entry in the Range Increment column on Table: Weapons), but a character who does so takes a –4 penalty on the attack roll. Throwing a light or one-handed weapon is a standard action, while throwing a two-handed weapon is a full-round action. Regardless of the type of weapon, such an attack scores a threat only on a natural roll of 20 and deals double damage on a critical hit. Such a weapon has a range increment of 10 feet.

From this statement, and with yours, you can throw the large throwing weapon with the penalty for it being large. since its a throwing weapon you don't get a penalty for throwing it again, also you can throw a 2 handed weapon without further penalty based on the fact the players guide has 2 handed throwing weapons.

That being said, a normal spear has the same damage as a large javelin, spears have 20ft range, Javelins have 30ft range, spears have 3x crit, and double damage charges, javalins have 2x crit, can't be used in melee, so that's -4 attack, and -2 for being large.