PDA

View Full Version : Limitless Range?

SangoProduction
2019-09-26, 08:54 AM
So I was looking at the mythic Champion ability, and saw Endless Range, which off of memory would grant about 600 ft range increments with long bows. Probably overkill since for most maps, long bows are already overkill on range.
But regardless I wanted to see if it was possible to use reliably.
So the run action can get us 4x movement, 120 by baseline. Run feat takes that to 150 and mythic run makes that 210 ft.
That's definitely plenty to make most monsters think it not worth their time chasing you, but that's not even getting close to our potential, and is using the run action which is exclusive with attacking that round.
Is there a better way?

NNescio
2019-09-26, 09:51 AM
So I was looking at the mythic Champion ability, and saw Endless Range, which off of memory would grant about 600 ft range increments with long bows. Probably overkill since for most maps, long bows are already overkill on range.
So the run action can get us 4x movement, 120 by baseline. Run feat takes that to 150 and mythic run makes that 210 ft.
That's definitely plenty to make most monsters think it not worth their time chasing you, but that's not even getting close to our potential, and is using the run action which is exclusive with attacking that round.
Is there a better way?

Well, you can be Pun-Pun, grant yourself the Umbral Disciple Su ability Kiss of the Shadows, and then proceed to invest an arbitrary amount of essentia into it (use Energy Charge to fulfill the HD requirement) to give you an arbitrarily long (NI) reach, then make it permanent via the Alter Reality salient divine ability (gotten through Ice Assassin cheese). Next proceed to use Precipitate Complete Breach to reach across planes.

But that's hardly sporting.

(Also, incidentally, is there a way to get Aleph Null or Aleph One reach? Pun-Pun can get true infinities [not just arbitrary NI] for most of his other stats, but not for reach AFAIK.)

Silvercrys
2019-09-26, 10:18 AM
Is there a better way?Well, you could use Dimensional Dervish and Horizon Walker (or Evangelist + Barzahk's 3rd boon) to get a teleport + full attack, but you're limited to your normal move speed. Some ways of jacking that up but none that get you to 200 feet as far as I know.

Edit: Oh, duh, Zen Archer monk keeps the monk's speed increases, just use that with Dimensional Dervish and Evangelist (Barzahk). You get Zen Archer 19 class features including the 90 foot move speed and Dimension Door 3+Wis mod per day with another speed increase from Terrain Dominance (Plains) for a total teleport speed of 100 ft / round plus full attacks. You can use Abundant Step on top of the Terrain Dominance (Astral) teleports, too.

Kind of tough to do Barzahk's obedience in a dungeon or cave, though, sadly, so make your party camp outside the entrance or finish before the end of the day, yeah?

Well, you can be Pun-Pun, grant yourself the Umbral Disciple Su ability Kiss of the Shadows, and then proceed to invest an arbitrary amount of essentia into it (use Energy Charge to fulfill the HD requirement) to give you an arbitrarily long (NI) reach, then make it permanent via the Alter Reality salient divine ability (gotten through Ice Assassin cheese). Next proceed to use Precipitate Complete Breach to reach across planes.

But that's hardly sporting.

(Also, incidentally, is there a way to get Aleph Null or Aleph One reach? Pun-Pun can get true infinities [not just arbitrary NI] for most of his other stats, but not for reach AFAIK.)Pun-pun's reach is limited by essentia capacity, which is based on hit dice and there aren't any ways to get infinite hit dice as far as I know, just ways to get an arbitrarily large number of them.

SangoProduction
2019-09-26, 11:22 AM
Huh. Zen archer. I'll check it out and disregard my anti monk bias the boards implanted in me.

Silvercrys
2019-09-26, 11:51 AM
Huh. Zen archer. I'll check it out and disregard my anti monk bias the boards implanted in me.Plain monk is pretty bad, Zen Archer is a different beast though. Wis to attack with bows and you can flurry with it. Can't use Rapid Shot or Many Shot but you get the same number of extra attacks from Flurry as you level anyway. Can't remember if Zen Archer is compatible with Unchained Monk but it's probably a straight upgrade as usual, I imagine.

Think you have to be Lawful Neutral to be an Evangelist of Barzahk, though, since Barzahk is TN and Monk is any Lawful (can't combine Zen Archer and MoMS unfortunately).

SangoProduction
2019-09-26, 08:46 PM
Oh, with level 6 Zen Archer, I can have a base speed of 50, increased to 70 with a ki point. This lets me mythic run up to 490 feet in one round. Now I'm actually making use of that range.

Maat Mons
2019-09-27, 12:26 AM
Well, a normal horse moves 250 feet per round while running. And if you give it Horseshoes of Speed, that goes up to 400 feet per round. You can shoot from the back of the horse while it's running, and if you have the Improved Mounted Archery feat, you'll only take a -2 penalty on attack rolls.

There's probably something even faster that a Druid can take as an Animal Companion.

Silvercrys
2019-09-27, 12:42 PM
Well, a normal horse moves 250 feet per round while running. And if you give it Horseshoes of Speed, that goes up to 400 feet per round. You can shoot from the back of the horse while it's running, and if you have the Improved Mounted Archery feat, you'll only take a -2 penalty on attack rolls.

There's probably something even faster that a Druid can take as an Animal Companion.Oooh, this is a good idea too.

Even if you only get a normal Horse companion and apply the Racer archetype to it you'll get another 10 feet of base speed and at 6th it can sprint like a cheetah (10x instead of 4x move speed on a run action 1/hour), think that can carry you some 900 feet (50 base + 10 Racer + 30 Horseshoes x 10 Run)? Would be cool to get it to 1000, maybe I'll do some digging in the animal companions and see if there's a faster one...

animewatcha
2019-09-27, 03:29 PM
When you are riding a horse, is it lightly load? Thinking monk belt on a horse...

SangoProduction
2019-09-27, 04:51 PM
When you are riding a horse, is it lightly load? Thinking monk belt on a horse...

.....lol. Amazing.