PDA

View Full Version : How does this Houserule seem, both Balance-Wise and Flavor-Wise?

birdboye713
2019-09-26, 11:40 AM
In some of my games, I've started allowing people to, instead of taking their usual racial stat bonuses, take a +2 to the first stat listed on the quick build section of their class, and a +1 to one of the stats that is listed as secondary. (note: i do not allow variant human, and i give regular human a feature that allows them to reroll one failed ability check, saving throw, or attack roll once per short or long rest) Does this seem like a good rule?

J-H
2019-09-26, 11:51 AM
That takes away a lot of the differentiation between races. I guess I don't see the point.

nickl_2000
2019-09-26, 11:56 AM
Just simplify it even more. You get +2 to one stat and +1 to a different stat and the player can choose what they go to. By doing that you are encouraging players to diversify their races more than taking the "best" for their class. I've heard of it being done before, I don't see a problem with it.

birdboye713
2019-09-26, 11:57 AM
It was mainly meant to encourage more unusual class-race combinations, like half-orc sorcerer, or gnome barbarian, without sacrificing stats.

NNescio
2019-09-26, 12:00 PM
It was mainly meant to encourage more unusual class-race combinations, like half-orc sorcerer, or gnome barbarian, without sacrificing stats.

Note that the Gnome barbarian still can't use heavy weapons without disadvantage, under your proposed houserule.

JNAProductions
2019-09-26, 12:03 PM
It won't break anything, but it also makes it harder to play against class-type.

Dexadins, for instance, won't be popular under your rule.

Overall, I'd be fine with this rule in place, but I would recommend (like others said) go a step further and allow +2/+1 in any stats of your choice with any race.

LudicSavant
2019-09-26, 12:08 PM
I'm inclined to agree with the posters above that there's no reason to link the boosts to the "quick builds" of a class, so that Dexadins and the like can do their thing.

Allowing players to simply select which stat they get a bonus to works more or less fine for many races. The main cases to watch out for will be the ones that intentionally have anti-synergies in their statlines (e.g. Mountain Dwarves get +2 Con/+2 Str, but it's generally the non-Strength-based characters that want the Medium Armor proficiency).

Bjarkmundur
2019-09-26, 12:11 PM
Went with variable racial stats a long time ago, It means more Half-Orc Wizards and Gnome Barbarians! :D

Too many times I feel like races have just become classes. You take this wizard race for this wizard class and the barbarian race for the barbarian class. I think it is much more natural to take a race that shore up weaknesses of your class, or in other ways gives you more options. Why pick a High Elf spellcaster; when you already get cantrips? Take Half-Orc or Dwarf for that sweet durability boost!

I also feel like races are unbalanced internally, and don't normally contribute enough to a character's theme and style of play. I've given each race a toy that is aimed at dividing them a little bit more. A kobold wizard is going to approach a scenario a lot differently than a human wizard, just because of the tools that come with their race stat block.

I also think it's weird that Half-Elf has never come with a free Calm Emotion spell, for any edition. I think it's such a great way summarize the entire half-elf race in one spell.

If you like giving races more oomph and freedom, check my houserule document for inspiration. They are much more balanced internally (just compare the official Human and Yuan-Ti), and give some great guidelines for players to follow.

nickl_2000
2019-09-26, 12:13 PM
Too many times I feel like races have just become classes.

Darn Younguns! Back in my day a race WAS a class.

Bjarkmundur
2019-09-26, 12:15 PM
Darn Younguns! Back in my day a race WAS a class.

xD This is true haha

But still, you have to admit that playing a wood elf and playing a ranger basically has the same roleplaying guidelines. It's creates a much more interesting combination when playing a 'off-class' race.

birdboye713
2019-09-26, 12:15 PM
Yeah, I may just replace it with a +2 and a +1 to any stats.

Bjarkmundur
2019-09-26, 12:19 PM
Yeah, I may just replace it with a +2 and a +1 to any stats.

I support this with every fiber of my being ^^
Bonus inspiration for the first session for every player who picked a ridiculous race-class combo.

ad_hoc
2019-09-26, 02:53 PM
In some of my games, I've started allowing people to, instead of taking their usual racial stat bonuses, take a +2 to the first stat listed on the quick build section of their class, and a +1 to one of the stats that is listed as secondary. (note: i do not allow variant human, and i give regular human a feature that allows them to reroll one failed ability check, saving throw, or attack roll once per short or long rest) Does this seem like a good rule?

You're one step closer to turning the game into a 'mush' of numbers rather than actually representing something.

I think it's a terrible idea that only serves to steer the game towards being a tactical combat exercise and there are tons of better games for that.

They won't be unusual anymore then.

You're taking away the ability to play a character with an unusual race and class combination.

False God
2019-09-26, 03:34 PM
I straight up said you get a +2 to one score and +1 to one other score, regardless of race (except humans who still have their regular and variant options).

The racial features you get I feel are far more defining than the static bonuses.

Who cares if you have a particularly buff elf or a really smart half-orc. That's the character the player wants to play, who am I to say they're wrong?

LudicSavant
2019-09-26, 03:41 PM
Eh. Racial modifiers in 5e have already been reduced to a vestigial mush of numbers. It's a legacy of past editions, stripped of its original design context and purpose, living on as a sacred cow that no longer accomplishes anything positive, other than providing the warm fuzzies of familiarity.

Seriously, let's think about what racial modifiers actually accomplish. One could perhaps argue that the strongest half-orc should be stronger than the strongest human, but the mechanic doesn't actually do that. The strongest half-orc and the strongest human have the same Strength score (20). Heck, a level 1 Half-Orc Barbarian and a level 1 Human Barbarian are generally both going to start with a +3 strength score (with standard point buy). And the difference in stats between any race in the PHB and a human will never exceed 1 point. With a VHuman it's not even that (because a VHuman can be made into a +1/+2 race of any 2 stats by choosing to take a half-feat at level 1).

No, what the mechanic does in practice is shoehorn races into playing the "correct" classes. Your Half-Orc Wizard is still going to get to 20 Int sooner or later, but they're going to be a weaker character overall since they had to divert more resources from other things (possibly even things that would have made them seem more orcish) to get there. That's it.

Petrocorus
2019-09-26, 03:42 PM
Dexadins, for instance, won't be popular under your rule.

What's a Dexadin?

LudicSavant
2019-09-26, 03:44 PM
What's a Dexadin?

A Paladin that uses Dexterity as its primary attack stat rather than Strength.

Petrocorus
2019-09-26, 09:48 PM
A Paladin that uses Dexterity as its primary attack stat rather than Strength.

Thank you.

I didn't thought there was a specific term for this.
What a fool i am. This board has a specific term for everything. :smallbiggrin::smalltongue: