PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Iron Golem 'Mecha'/suit

jjordan
2019-09-26, 04:45 PM
Self-scrubbing for reasons.

Zhorn
2019-09-26, 09:36 PM
Fore the rider; fire immunity I'd say to either demote to resistance or cut out altogether. Mechanisms don't usually handle changes in temperature well, and being in a big hot metal can is not exactly a pleasant experience even at survivably hot temperatures.

Iron golems seem like a decent base to start with for the monster stats, but for a ridable vehicle, I'd suggest using the Apparatus of Kwalish as a base also/instead especially considering it is imparting such strengths to a player character to use.

Old Harry MTX
2019-09-29, 03:29 PM
Interesting, but I have a couple of questions:
How is the "Golemecha" considered? A worn item? A mount? A sort of metamorphosis like Lycanthropy? Can a rider use the features of his base class from inside the "Golemecha", like spells, maneuvers or other features?

It would be interesting to create a real Rider class, which unlocks various features to use with the golem, perhaps with just 5 or 10 levels just to have multiclass material.

Bjarkmundur
2019-09-30, 09:20 AM
Now THAT'S cool!

Old Harry MTX
2019-09-30, 11:36 AM
Good questions. I'm glad I haven't played these yet, thus far they've been background color.

In my setting this is a sort of metamorphosis that creates a new creature for the duration of the merge.

I think I'm going to allow the gold golems to use all the features of the base class and species. I'm going to let the iron golems use physical features of the base species and class. I'm not going to let the bronze golems use any of the features of the rider's class or species. Because the elves would make sure they have access to all their abilities and have the skills to make it happen. They wouldn't want their servants/allies to have access to all their abilities. The makers of the iron golems would want to have access to all their abilities but don't have the skills to make that happen.

Ok but, to be clear, do your players have to use or fight these golems?? ^^