PDA

View Full Version : The Art of War - Diplomacy All-Stars

Elektro
2007-10-15, 02:00 PM
The Art of War

The year is 1901. The great powers of Europe are stirring, driven by the twin engines of nationalism and industrialization. For the first time since the era of Napoleon and the Congress of Vienna that was intended to protect against another, armies are mobilizing across the Continent. With the United States occupied by dreams of Empire in Latin America and Asia and Africa carved up by colonialism, the nation that can gain dominance in Europe will also have dominance of the entire world. The dawn of the 20th Century has seen the old balance of power in Europe crumbling, leaving the door open for a leader strong and crafty enough to reshape it to suit his and his nation's ambitions.

Spring 1901 Map

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc197/elektrotek85/StandardMap.jpg

Country Assignment

Austia-Hungary - Vexen
England - Elder_Kin
France - Abelard
Germany - katonta
Italy - Charity
Russia - MoodytheWise
Turkey - mdsoze

You just missed it viggo. However, you'll be first alternate if that arises (I hope not), and I might have a spot for you in another game as Austria-Hungary if the player doesn't confirm it by Wednesday.

Schedule:
Mondays: Spring Orders Due
Tuesdays: Spring Retreats Due (if necessary)
Thursdays: Fall Orders Due
Fridays: Fall Retreats Due (if necessary)
Saturdays: Winter Builds Due

Please make sure you are okay with the fast schedule. I will make sure to post/PM 24-hr warnings for Spring, Fall, and Winter (build) orders. I will post retreats after adjudicating.

There will be an extra long period of diplomacy before the orders for Spring 1901 are due. Please post below to introduce yourself and your preferred method for negotiations. Have fun, good luck, and I'm exciting to see what Diplo craziness the best of the best will produce!

Spring 1901 orders are due (PM or e-mail elektrotek85 *at* gmail.com) Monday, 22 October 10:00 PM EST (0300 GMT)

Vexen
2007-10-15, 02:26 PM
If I might Suggest, we push back the spring 1901 orders to Monday in place of Friday. This way the schedule will not have to be changed but can remain current.
Again this is just a suggestion for convenience (and so I don't get confused with the schedules, because for a time I will be playing 3 games). I should be ready to give my orders on Friday if the schedule does not change.

and now, ahem:

Please address all comunications to: Emperor Franz Joseph of the dual monarchy
Please entitle them: Diplomacy: AoW

I would prefer E-mails for this game if at all possible at
addisonfox at gmail

Elder_Kin
2007-10-15, 02:55 PM
British mourn the death of Prince Albert Edward

April 4, 1900 Denmark

The Royal family mourned the death of the Prince of Wales, Albert Edward, heir apparent to the English throne as he was shot by a Belgian national Jean-Baptiste Sipido (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean-Baptiste_Sipido) shot the Prince on his way through Denmark to Belgium. The young Belgian shot the Prince while he was at the Brussels-Nord railway station. His younger brother, Arthur William Patrick Albert, Duke of Connaught and Strathearn is now heir to the throne.

British mourn the death of Queen Victoria. Prince Arthur becomes King Arthur I

January 20, 1901

The England mourns today the loss of queen Victoria. The beloved queen was the longest reining british monarch. She died of a cerebral hemorrage and was attended by her son Arthur and Grandson Kaiser Whilhelm.

Moody the Wise
2007-10-15, 03:29 PM
Greetings, decadent Westerners. I am Prime Minister of Russia, Vladimir Podolsky.

Just kidding, it's me, Nicholas the Second, by the grace of God, Emperor and Autocrat of all the Russias, of Moscow, Kiev, Vladimir, Novgorod, Tsar of Kazan, Tsar of Astrakhan, King of Poland, Tsar of Siberia, Tsar of Tauric Chersonesos, Tsar of Georgia, Lord of Pskov, and Grand Duke of Smolensk, Lithuania, Volhynia, Podolia, and Finland, Prince of Estonia, Livonia, Courland and Semigalia, Samogitia, Belostok, Karelia, of Tver, Yugra, Perm, Vyatka, Bulgaria, and other territories; Lord and Grand Duke of Nizhny Novgorod, Chernigov; Sovereign of Ryazan, Polotsk, Rostov, Yaroslavl, Beloozero, Udoria, Obdoria, Kondia, Vitebsk, Mstislav, and all the northern territories; and Sovereign of Iveria, Kartalinia, and the Kabardinian lands and Armenian territories; Hereditary Lord and Ruler of the Cherkass and Mountain Princes and others; Lord of Turkestan, Heir of Norway, Duke of Schleswig-Holstein, Stormarn, Dithmarschen, Oldenburg, and so forth, and so forth, and so forth.

I don't have a prime minister; if you want to talk, you talk to me. Got it? Good.

OoC: Methods of contact, in preferred order:
AIM - Londonwerewolf6
E-mail - [email protected]
PM - ... that should be obvious

Abelard
2007-10-15, 03:30 PM
A new dawn greets France, one full of promise. The despised Third Republic creaks towards the end of it's third decade, satisfying none but also truly angering none, and upon that precarious balance its continued success rests.

So whyfore this hope of the new day? A gifted and talented and brilliant (and good-looking and witty and relatively clean and etc.) politician has recently gained the presidency in this slumbering state, and kick-started a revitalization that has made the common folk think back of the times of Napoleon III, and even moreso to the original Napoleon a century ago - sometimes, even in good ways. But none can doubt that Abelard's plans for France are ambitious, as he has already ordered several fine maps of Moscow drafted... purely to decide where to build a winter vacation home, he assures us all.

Claiming that war is not his aim, he announced that he recently received word that the Iberian nations have requested to join the newly-invigorated France, and he looks forward to their joining in liberte, egalite, and fraternite. With these fine nations as an example, Abelard extends an invitation for all nations of Europe to join him under the French banner. Assimilation will be mostly painless, and even less so if you don't mind chowing down on snails.

PM'ing here is the best way to get me. Address me how you like (well, I mean within reason), and putting "AoW" or something like that in the subject line, as well as the power you're playing, is always a good idea, especially at the beginning.

Vexen, are you saying that you don't want PM's at all, only e-mails? Not that it will matter much; with sharks like mdsoze and Moody leering at the Balkans, all I can say is better you than me!

Moody the Wise
2007-10-15, 03:41 PM
Vexen, are you saying that you don't want PM's at all, only e-mails? Not that it will matter much; with sharks like mdsoze and Moody leering at the Balkans, all I can say is better you than me!

Hey hey hey! No name-calling! I wouldn't hurt a fly ...

... It's so weird going into an internet game with a reputation. I guess I'll take it as a compliment, though.

Moody the Wise
2007-10-15, 03:53 PM
Unless I am terribly mistaken, the player for Germany is Katonta, not Katatona. This should probably be corrected in the first post.

<.<

>.>

... Not that I'm talking to Germany.

^.^

Charity
2007-10-15, 05:48 PM
Il suo Imperial grandiosita Versace di stile, posso personalmente garantire per il carattere di Tzar Moody, egli è abbastanza innocuo.
Ho espresso il mio parole prima che il suo male vestiti come monarchi perle prima suina.

[translation] His Imperial magesty Versace the stylish would like to welcome the ministers of the great nations around him to summit talks

His Imperial magesty would like to open communication channels to all [email protected]

Moody the Wise
2007-10-15, 05:58 PM
Il suo Imperial grandiosita Versace di stile, posso personalmente garantire per il carattere di Tzar Moody, egli è abbastanza innocuo.
Ho espresso il mio parole prima che il suo male vestiti come monarchi perle prima suina.

[translation] His Imperial magesty Versace the stylish would like to welcome the ministers of the great nations around him to summit talks

His Imperial magesty would like to open communication channels to all [email protected]

... Am I going to have to look up what you're saying about me, or are you going to post the *real* translation, Charity?

Katonta
2007-10-15, 06:24 PM
Hallo everybody, dis is new Kaiser Wilhelm III. My unfortunate vater, Kaiser Wilhelm II was taken out of action today because of terrible allergy to Katzenhaar. I will do my best to serve my country and lead it to glorious sieg. Now, a few words in my native sprache: Kann der beste Mannsieg, und sorgt sich nicht, werde ich. Vielen Dank.

OOC----------------------------
Well, German accent aside, the easiest way to get a hold of me is via PM or Email (fowlertye*at*charter.net)

I wish everyone the best of luck, and a swift death. :smallwink:

Oh, and the schedule is fine for me.

Charity
2007-10-16, 02:57 AM
... Am I going to have to look up what you're saying about me, or are you going to post the *real* translation, Charity?

Google tradurre è il tuo amico (http://translate.google.com/translate_t?langpair=it|en)

mdsoze
2007-10-16, 07:43 AM
Turkey here. And in Sultanate Era, Turkey carves you! I'll be here all week.

Anyways...

AIM- cheheret

or PM to negotiate.

Happy stabbing everyone!

Elektro
2007-10-17, 01:07 AM
The New York Times

"All The News We Feel Like Printing"

January 7, 1901

United States Welcomes the 20th Century!
This great nation has celebrated the beginning of the 20th Century. We all look forward to a new era of promise as we continue to tame this great land and work towards prosperity and freedom for all. All Americans hear the clarion call of Manifest Destiny. Now that we have tamed the vast Western expanses, we have moved to expand our influence through the hemisphere.

President Roosevelt has pledged to open up Latin America and Canada to our business interests and to bring them the blessings of democracy. Our fine lads have been dispatched to Mexico City to hand out educational literature and protect its citizens against the unstable and corrupt local government. Marines have been dispatched to Guatemala and Panama, in the latter our boys have been handing out copies of Horatio Alger, along with shovels and mosquito netting for work on the canal. The road ahead looks bright as we develop a community of nations in the Americans, rightly led by the mighty United States.

Europe Teeters on the Brink

Surprising no one, Europe looks again to soon be plunged into darkness and bloodshed. President Roosevelt has assured the nation that we will in no means intervene in the situation. "We don't really like those damn Europeans anyways. The English still act all snooty with their raised pinky-fingers and tea and crumpets. What the hell is a crumpet anyways? The French are arrogant, and if there is one thing that binds all Americans, its dislike for those damn snail-eaters. The Germans seem just a little crazy under that veneer of order, but I do like the Kaiser's taste in mustaches. Russia, well we just feel sorry for them. It's like if Maine was a whole country without all the cool parts of the United States, except even more lame (if that were even possible). Italy is nothing much now, since all the mushroom-chomping plumbers moved to Brooklyn already. I won't pick on Austria-Hungary, since that's just cruel. And Turkey/Ottoman Empire sounds like either a dumb, tasty bird or some kind of specialized furniture emporium." After his diatribe, the President left twirling his handlebar to go big game hunting in Africa.

OoC: Good to see everyone has checked in. And the above is just a joke. Please don't send the moose death squads to my house Moody :smallwink:

Vexen
2007-10-17, 08:38 AM
OoC:
I really got to start subscribing to these threads the second I post.
I also want to say that it turns out I am extremely busy this week I will be trying to respond to as many of you as possible, but I anticipate more full negotiations to begin on Friday.

In response to your question, I realize not everyone wants to give out e-mail addresses or to risk losing important negotiations to the spam blocker. PM is just fine. I will accept all forms of communications, though if anyone calls me I will be pretty creeped out since I haven't given out my number. E-mails are preferred because they are easier for me to keep track of and there is not having to delete old messages.

Moody the Wise
2007-10-17, 11:04 AM
I will accept all forms of communications, though if anyone calls me I will be pretty creeped out since I haven't given out my number. E-mails are preferred because they are easier for me to keep track of and there is not having to delete old messages.

I am going to find out where you live and knock on your door and demand an audience.

Moody the Wise
2007-10-17, 01:02 PM
Secrecy At All-Time High

Russian intelligence has authorized a complicated new system for encrypting its communications (http://xkcd.com/257/), as rumors of foreign spying abound.

Tsar Orders Mobilization of Experimental Hyper Mobile Forces

Foreign governments are trembling in fear this morning after the unveiling of Russia's experimental new elite corps. Huge, armored behemoths that spit fire and can literally roll over enemy soldiers and difficult terrain alike. No, we're not talking about tanks. We're talking about the Moosacks: specially trained Cossacks riding armored Moose equipped with flamethrowers. The first units are expected to be deployed on a small scale against the office of the New York Times in The U.S. to test their effectiveness before being used in the European theater.

Abelard
2007-10-17, 09:13 PM
Something just hit me...

I'd like to amend the introduction I've been sending out. I'm claiming victory in the "Quest for Dominance" Youngstown game that sort of died after one season. I figure that I was the only power who was going to be at 8 centers after Year 1, and heck, no one else has claimed it yet, so there you go. My last Dip game was a solo victory in a Youngstown game. I rule.

Just further cementing my "All-Star" status, really. :smallwink:

Moody the Wise
2007-10-17, 10:50 PM
Well if we're posting our resumés ...

I would say I hold a reasonable claim to victory in the dead game A Great War (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31552&page=9), where I was Russia with 11 SCs in the Fall of 1907 and was going to gain (for sure) two more had that season been played. I would also argue that I could reasonably claim at least a joint victory in the dead game Chaos of War (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34090&page=9), where I was Germany with 17 SCs in - incidentally - the Spring of 1907. That seems to be a popular year for games dying. I was gunning for the solo victory though, and I honestly think I might have been able to get it if it weren't for those pesky kids. I also participated in the brief-lived but fun experiment Bismarck's Gambit (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39176&page=3), where upon reviewing the thread it appears as though I uneasily held a modest 7 SCs and I don't know when it was, but it had only been a year or two.

Vexen
2007-10-18, 08:10 AM
I will Argue with you moody on your Win in A Great War. You had a good temporary advantage due to a lapse in sanity from Germany. But I still think I had a good chance in that game. I was quite dissappointed about its death.

I will hereby set the stage and inform one and all why I am in this game. It has nothing to do with skill and more along the lines that I haven't ever quit a game or dropped out.

Katonta
2007-10-18, 08:35 AM
My resume is... small. Very small. Only one game small.

I took over for Germany in All the King's Men (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41315) and it was quite the fixer-upper as my predecessor had apparently done quite a lot of backstabbing, betraying Russia twice among a few other things. Though I think I've done fairly well so far and I may just have a shot at coming in second.

As I said, my resume is "one game small".

Moody the Wise
2007-10-18, 10:54 AM
I will Argue with you moody on your Win in A Great War. You had a good temporary advantage due to a lapse in sanity from Germany. But I still think I had a good chance in that game. I was quite dissappointed about its death.

I will hereby set the stage and inform one and all why I am in this game. It has nothing to do with skill and more along the lines that I haven't ever quit a game or dropped out.

You have a right to argue with me about A Great War. I didn't say I won it, I said I had a reasonable claim to victory in it; you have a pretty reasonable claim as well. It was well-played all around, and I was very sad to see it go.

Elektro
2007-10-18, 04:20 PM
The New York Times

February 12, 1901

Massive Fortifications Built in Atlantic In Response to Russian Threats

After the Tsar threatened to unleash his elite Moosacks against the great city of New York, President Roosevelt has authorized the construction of a massive fortification in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean. Nicknamed the "Thin Black Line," the fortifications block any movement by European fleets past the coastlines of Europe. In a speech yesterday, the President remarked, "Let's see those Moosacks make it past that! Bully!" Also, we have received unconfirmed reports that the Navy has started development of the SEALS, an elite marine mammal task force to counter foreign aggression.

OoC: Heh, Moosacks. Classic. :smallbiggrin:

Elektro
2007-10-21, 08:48 PM
24 Hour Warning - Spring 1901 Moves Due Tomorrow, Monday 22 October 2200 EST (0300 GMT)

Elektro
2007-10-22, 07:57 PM
Spring 1901 Results

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc197/elektrotek85/TheArtofWar-DiplomacyAll-Stars-F190.jpg

Austria
A vie -> gal Bounced 1:1 with war
A bud -> ser
F tri -> alb

England
F lon -> nth
F edi ->nwg
A lvp -> yor

France
A par -> pic
A mar -> spa
F bre -> mao

Germany
A ber -> kie
F kie -> hol
A mun -> ruh

Italy
F nap -> ion
A ven -> tyr
A rom -> ven

Russia
A mos -> sev
A war -> gal Bounced 1:1 with vie
F sev -> rum
F stp s.c. -> bot

Turkey
F ank -> bla
A con -> bul
A smy -> con

No retreating units, retreat phase skipped

Fall 1901 Orders due Thursday 25 October at 2200 EST (0300 GMT)

Abelard
2007-10-22, 09:32 PM
Hey, GM, you were over an hour early! Some of us are still negotiating right up to the deadline!

Headlines from the Parisian press:

Rejoicing in Madrid and Lisbon! Turns out that Spain and Portugal thought independence was overrated all these years. Who knew? We hear that docking berths for the Marine Nationale are already being prepared in the Tagus River.

Belgium suddenly very popular! While the uncultured rush to Antwerp for Belgian Waffles, the truly civilized know there is a greater treasure - Brussels' original Godiva Chocolatier! True, it is now owned by an American soup company (feh!), but it still compares favorably to that abomination they call a "chocolate bar".

Elektro
2007-10-22, 10:10 PM
Hey, GM, you were over an hour early! Some of us are still negotiating right up to the deadline!

Please excuse me if I cut off anyone's last minute scheming. In the interests of keeping the game moving at a good clip and keeping everything straight, once I receive your orders I will assume they are ready to be posted unless otherwise notified. Therefore, if you anticipate last minute diplomatic efforts, please let me know and I will wait until you confirm/resubmit orders.

The New York Times -- 15 March, 1901

War in Europe!

Pan-American Exposition Highlights American Ingenuity and Know-How

Spain Occupied by France; Bulls, Hemingway Hardest Hit

Precipitous Drop in Small European Nations Cheers American Schoolchildren

Katonta
2007-10-23, 08:48 PM
German Navy's Fear of Sea on the Rise!
When asked, Kaiser Wilhelm II, may he always prosper, said, "When hiring the navy's general, I forgot to check to see if they had a fear of water. Why someone was signing up for the navy if they had a phobia of the water is beyond me though."

Belgian Waffles in High Demand! Army Sent to Ask for More.
When asked, Kaiser Wilhelm II, may he always prosper, said, "Really now guys, you don't have to ask my opinion on everything! Besides, the title should be plain enough that everyone should get the idea."

Moody the Wise
2007-10-23, 10:05 PM
Russian News

Vexen
2007-10-24, 09:09 AM
I must apologize for the inconvenience, I am moving this weekend, starting tomorrow. It was not my intention to move my computer until Saturday, however, it will be moved tomorrow instead. Internet is not yet up and running in my new house, I am not certain when it will be transferred. I will post Fall orders today and attempt to get online saturday, to do some minor negotiating and send in retreat/build orders. If that is possible.

I can not gaurantee I will be able to find internet access on saturday. So I wonder if I fail to do so, if i can delay builds, if i do not get orders in.

Please let me know. thank you.

Elektro
2007-10-26, 12:32 AM
Vexen, I am fine with delaying the build orders. If everyone else is okay with that, we'll delay to Sunday.

I'm waiting on Moody's orders - I'll try to contact him tonight.

EDIT: Fall 1901 Results

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc197/elektrotek85/TheArtofWar-DiplomacyAll-Stars-F-1.jpg

Austria
F alb -> tri
A vie supports F alb -> tri
A ser supports A bul -> rum Supported unit's order does not match support order given

England
A yor -> den Bounced with kie 1:1
F nth convoys A yor -> den
F nrg -> nwy

France
F mao -> por
A pic supports A ruh -> bel
A spa holds

Germany
F hol supports A ruh -> bel
A ruh -> bel
A kie -> den Bounced with yor 1:1

Italy
A tyr -> mun
A ven -> tri Bounced with alb 1:1
F ion -> tun

Russia
F bot -> swe
F rum holds
A war -> sil
A mos supports F rum hold Invalid order
No order for A sev, unit assigned to hold

Turkey
F bla supports con -> bul
A con -> bul
A bul -> gre

1901 Builds
Austria: 1
England: 1
France: 2
Germany: 1
Italy: 2
Russia: 2
Turkey: 2

Build orders are due this Sunday, 28 October at 2200 EST (0300 GMT)

Elektro
2007-10-26, 02:07 PM
The New York Times - December 30, 1901

The War in Europe - A Special Report
As we know our fellow Americans don't like to read the news, we summarize the year of war in Europe in an easy ranking list!

1. France
France has remained out of the outright conflict so far, preferring to capture the undefended Iberian peninsula instead.

1. Italy (5 SC): The Italians showed an audacity not seen since the Roman days in capturing Munich from under the German's noses.

1. Russia (5 SC): Russia has made gains in both Scandinavia and the Balkans, and appears to be poised to invade Germany

1. Turkey (5 SC): The country with the same name as a bird has shown itself no chicken, gaining ground in the Balkans and positioning itself for further gains in the coming years.

2. Austria (4 SC): Austria-Hungary has survived the coming year, but faces threats on all sides from the bigger powers

2. England (4 SC): England has made inroads into Scandinavia, but its amphibious invasion of Denmark was repulsed by the Germans.

2. Germany (4 SC): While the country had success in conquering the Low Countries, the Italian, English, and Russian invasions leave the future of the country very much in doubt.

Elektro
2007-10-29, 02:08 PM
I'm still waiting on build orders from Vexen and Elder_Kin. I've sent them a PM to make sure I get them by tonight.

Therefore, Spring 1902 orders will not be due tonight. The deadlines for this week will be pushed back one day each. That means Spring 1902 Orders are due tomorrow, 30 October at 2200 EST (0300 GMT)

Elektro
2007-10-30, 02:17 AM
Winter 1901 Results

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc197/elektrotek85/TheArtofWar-DiplomacyAll-Stars-S190.jpg

Austria-Hungary: Builds A bud
England: 1 build was unused
France: Builds F bre, A par
Germany: Builds A ber
Italy: Builds F nap, A rom
Russia: Builds F stp/nc, A war
Turkey: Builds A con, F smy

This will also serve as 24-ish hour warning for Spring 1902 Orders, due tomorrow, 30 October at 2200 EST (0300 GMT)

Elektro
2007-10-31, 03:48 AM
I'm still waiting on England/Elder Kin's orders. I've sent him a PM reminder; if I don't get a response by tomorrow night, he'll be a big fat NMR.

Elektro
2007-10-31, 11:55 PM
Spring 1902 Results

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc197/elektrotek85/TheArtofWar-DiplomacyAll-Stars-S-1.jpg

Austria-Hungary
A bud -> rum Bounced with rum 1:2
A ser supports A bud -> rum Support cut by move from bul, dislodged by bul 2:1
F tri holds
A vie -> gal Bounced with war 1:1

England
NMR, all units hold
F nwy holds Dislodged from swe 2:1
F nth holds
A yor holds

France
F bre -> eng
A par -> bur
A pic supports A par -> bur
F por -> mao
A spa -> gas

Germany
A bel -> ruh
A ber -> mun
F hol -> hel
A kie supports A ber -> mun

Italy
A mun supports A ven -> tyr Support cut by move from ber, dislodged by ber 2:1
A ven -> tyr
F tun -> wes
A rom -> ven
F nap -> ion

Russia
F rum holds
A sev -> ukr
A sil supports A war -> gal
F stp/nc supports F swe -> nwy
F swe -> nwy
A war -> gal

Turkey
F bla supports F rum
A bul -> ser
A con -> bul
A gre supports A bul -> ser
F smy -> aeg

Retreats:

Italian A mun can retreat to boh or disband
English F nwy can retreat to nrg, bar, ska, or disband
Austrian A ser can retreat to alb or disband

Spring 1902 Retreats are due Tomorrow, 1 November at 2200 EST (0300 GMT)

I've decided to postpone the Fall 1902 orders until next Monday, 5 November at 2200 EST (0300 GMT)

It's apparent Elder_Kin is busy, so this delay might keep him in the game. Also, I think the next turn is critical for a lot of powers and you all could use the extra time for diplomacy.

Abelard
2007-11-02, 08:22 AM
I'll be away for the weekend, starting about noon Friday through Sunday evening. I'll have no computer access during that time, so I'll be happy to resume lying to all of you when I return. :smalltongue:

Elektro
2007-11-03, 12:10 AM
Spring 1902 Updated

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc197/elektrotek85/TheArtofWar-DiplomacyAll-Stars-F-2.jpg

Austria-Hungary: A ser -> alb
England: F nwy disbands No order received. Unit tasked to disband
Italy: A mun -> boh

In the sake of fairness, if Elder_Kin NMRs the Fall 1902 orders I will order the following for England: A yor -> lon, F nth holds. I hope I won't have to do so, but I think this will be the best solution if I have to find a replacement.

As a reminder, Fall 1902 orders are still due Monday, 5 November at 2200 EST (0300 GMT)

Moody the Wise
2007-11-05, 12:09 PM
Not many hours left warning!

Elektro
2007-11-05, 10:51 PM
Fall 1902 Results

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc197/elektrotek85/TheArtofWar-DiplomacyAll-Stars-F-3.jpg

Austria-Hungary
A alb -> ser Bounced with ser 2:3
F tri takes swimming lessons Invalid order, hold order assigned; dislodged from ven 2:1
A bud supports A alb -> ser
A vie supports A bud dislodged from boh 2:1, cannot retreat, unit destroyed

England
A yor -> lon
F nth holds

France
A bur supports A mun Support failed: move orders must be supported explicitly
A gas -> spa
A pic -> bel
F eng supports A pic -> bel
F mao holds

Germany
F hel -> nth Bounced with nth 1:1
A kie -> den
A mun -> boh
A ruh -> mun

Italy
A boh -> vie
F ion -> alb Failed because Austria: alb -> ser failed
A tyr supports A ven -> tri
A ven -> tri
F wes -> tun

Russia
F nwy holds
A gal supports A boh -> vie
F rum -> sev
A ukr -> rum
A sil -> ber
F stp/nc -> bar

Turkey
F aeg supports A gre
F bla -> ank
A bul supports A ser
A ser supports A Rom -> Par Invalid order, hold order assigned
A gre supports A ser

Retreats
Austrian F tri can retreat to adr or disband

Builds
Austria: 2 disbands needed
England: 1 build
France: 1 build
Germany: N/A
Italy: 1 build
Russia: 2 builds
Turkey: 1 build

Vex, your retreat order is due tomorrow, 6 November at 2200 EST (0300 GMT)

Builds will be due Wednesday, 7 November at 2200 EST

Also, I still did not get orders from Elder_Kin / England. I used the makeshift ones I posted about earlier. I will be looking for a replacement; Vexen, if you want the job since AH is on its last legs you got it.

Elektro
2007-11-05, 11:02 PM
The New York Times - December 30, 1902

It was a turbulent year in Europe, with many key provinces exchanging hands.

1. Russia (7; +2)
The Bear has become the leading power on the continent with its conquests of Norway and Berlin.

2. France (6; +1): The snail-eaters continue their slow growth with the fall of Belgium and are poised to become the dominant power in Western Europe. With the weakness of its neighbors, France's prospects seem rosy.

2. Italy (6; +1): Italy was repulsed from its German conquests, but make huge inroads into former Austrian territory, taking Vienna and Trieste.

2. Turkey (6; +1): Turkey expanded its base in the Balkans with the taking of Serbia. With the Austrians effectively crushed, where will it turn to next for expansion and resources?

3.Germany (4; 0): Germany was able to retake Munich from the Italians and gain Denmark, but lost Belgium to the French and Berlin to the Russians. It appears the Germans will soon be swallowed up by the rush of French and Russian forces towards one another.

4. England (3; -1): England was forced out of Norway and with the apparent lack of leadership, looks highly unlikely to survive the next years.

5. Austria (1; -3): Austria suffered crushing blows from Italian and Turkish advances. The stragglers are holed up in Budapest but should be easily crushed by the massive Russian, Italian, and Turkish forces arrayed against them.

Katonta
2007-11-06, 08:53 AM
Ouch, that stung, Abelard and Moody, but I guess that's what I get for leaving my sides undefended, eh? I commend you on a good job seizing the opportunity when it barks in your face. :smallsmile:

Oh, and I believe Italy has 6 territories, not 2. Same with France, also. Although that would be nice if they did have those numbers. :smallwink:

Moody the Wise
2007-11-06, 09:14 AM
Manhattan, Berlin Fall to Russians

Manhattan may seem like a strange destination for Russian troops, but it was the only contingency Russian strategists had developed for war with Germany. "First we take Manhattan (http://youtube.com/watch?v=tFBKV0zVXSE), then we take Berlin."

Rogue Italian Fleet in Western Mediterranean Retreats

Although the Italian fleet decided to retreat in the end, it stayed around exactly long enough to give French leaders a scare: the French fleet in the Mid-Atlantic was forced to hold and the army in Gascony was assigned to protect supply lines in Spain.

Germany Conquers Denmark ... Finally

According to Russian leadership, the unification of Scandinavia under the Russian flag is not far off, despite this setback.

Elektro
2007-11-07, 12:53 AM
Fall 1902 Retreat Phase:

Austrian F tri disbands No order received, unit tasked to disband

The above map has been updated to reflect the retreat phase.

Builds:
Austria: 1 disband
England: 1 build
France: 1 build
Germany: N/A
Italy: 1 build

24-hr warning: Builds are due tomorrow, 7 November at 2200 EST (0300 GMT)

Elektro
2007-11-07, 01:13 AM
The New York Times - January,8 1903

Manhattan Remains in American Hands
In stark contrast to recent reports from Moscow, the Russians have not occupied Manhattan. While the Russians did attempt to occupy the borough, it was a spectacular failure. New York Civil Defense Headquarters issued the following statement today:

"Let me assure all the residents of Manhattan that the Russian threat has passed and they are once again safe. The Russian attack began with a massed aerial assault of untrained sea gulls. While there as some minor cosmetic damage to our landmarks, no serious damage occurred. The Russians then launched an amphibious invasion of men and women clad in all black. They posed no serious threat, as they mainly stood around on the beach and gazed around dramatically while pop-synth played in the background. After their music stopped, we rounded them up and placed them under protective custody on Governor's Island. The attack seemed poorly planned, as the only document we recovered was a crumpled piece of paper bearing "MANHATTAN" on one side and "BERLIN" on the other. While we remain vigilant, New Yorkers have nothing to fear."

Abelard
2007-11-07, 01:14 AM
Not to be cruel, but who is playing England now? I need to know whose butt to kiss.

Elektro
2007-11-07, 12:16 PM
Vexen has agreed to take over as England, as Austri-Hungary is pretty much kaputt. From one fixer-upper to another, I guess:smallbiggrin:

Unless I received word from Vex, the deadlines will remain as they currently stand (builds due today, moves due Friday). If he or someone else requests more time, we'll move the build deadline to Friday and the Spring 1903 move deadline to Monday.

Elektro
2007-11-07, 09:43 PM
Winter 1902 Results

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc197/elektrotek85/TheArtofWar-DiplomacyAll-Stars-S-2.jpg

Austria-Hungary: Disbands A alb
England: Builds F lvp
France: Builds A par
Italy: Builds A ven
Russia: Builds F stp/sc, A war
Turkey: Builds F smy

Spring 1903 Orders are due Friday, 9 November at 2200 EST (0300 GMT)

Vexen
2007-11-08, 03:35 PM
New Prime Minister
England is proud to have recently elected a new prime minister, to bring stability in these troubled times. Prime Minister Vexen was sworn in yesterday after winning the election by an unbelievable landslide, that had absolutely nothing to do with several rotten buroughs or bribed officials.

Prime Minister Vexen, announced in his election speech that he wished to make sure that he was not confused with the previous leader of the Austrian-Hungarian Empire, it is merely a coincidence in names. "I definitely did not sneak into this country before the quick demise of Austria, disguise myself as a citizen, rig the election, only to place myself in a position of power again. And as for this accent, it is completely false, I do it because I think it makes me sound distinguished."

Elektro
2007-11-09, 12:34 AM
24-ish Hour Warning: Spring 1903 Orders are due Friday, 9 November at 2200 EST (0300 GMT)

Abelard
2007-11-09, 10:36 AM
Once again, I shall be away for the weekend with no access to the game. I'll be back Sunday night. Play nice.

Elektro
2007-11-10, 02:09 AM
Spring 1903 Results

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc197/elektrotek85/TheArtofWar-DiplomacyAll-Stars-F-4.jpg

Austria-Hungary

A rum holds

England

A lon -> hol Convoy path lon -> nth -> hol
F nth convoys A lon -> hol
F lvp -> cly

France

A bel supports A bur -> ruh
A bur -> ruh
F mao holds
F eng holds
A par -> bur
A spa -> gas

Germany

A mun -> ber Bounced with ber 1:1
A boh -> mun Failed because German A mun -> ber failed
A den -> swe
F hel -> den

Italy

F ion -> eas Bounced with smy 1:2
F tun -> ion Failed because Italian F ion -> eas failed
A vie supports A tri -> bud
A tri -> bud Bounced with rum 2:2
A tyr -> boh Failed because German A boh -> mun failed
A ven -> tri Failed because Italian A tri -> bud failed

Russia

F bar -> nwy
A ber supports A war -> sil Support cut by move from mun
A gal supports A rum -> bud
F nwy -> ska
A rum -> bud Bounced with tri 2:2
F sev holds
F stp/sc -> bot
A war -> sil

Turkey

F aeg supports F smy -> eas
F ank -> bla
A bul -> gre
A gre -> alb
A ser supports A gre -> alb
F smy -> eas

Fall 1903 Orders are due Monday, 12 November at 2200 EST (0300 GMT)

Elektro
2007-11-12, 10:03 PM
Fall 1903 Results

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc197/elektrotek85/TheArtofWar-DiplomacyAll-Stars-F-5.jpg

Austria-Hungary
A bud holds Dislodged from rum 3:2, no retreat possible, unit destroyed

England
F cly -> nwy
F nth supports F cly -> nwy
A hol supports A ruh -> kie Support failed. Supported unit's order does not match support given. Dislodged from bel 2:1, no retreat possible, unit destroyed

France
F eng -> lon
F mao -> iri
A bel -> hol
A bur -> mun
A gas -> bur
A ruh supports A bel -> hol

Germany
A swe -> den
F den -> bal
A boh -> sil Bounced with sil 1:1
A mun -> kie

Italy
F ion holds
A tri supports A bud hold Support cut by move from alb
F tun supports F ion hold
A tyr -> mun Bounced with bur 2:1
A ven supports A tri
A vie supports A bud

Russia
A ber supports A bur -> mun
A gal supports A rum -> bud
F bot -> swe
F nwy supports F bot -> swe
F ska supports F bot -> swe
A rum -> bud
F sev holds
A sil supports A bur -> mun Support cut by move from boh

Turkey
F aeg supports F eas -> ion
A alb -> tri Bounced with tri 1:2
F bla -> rum
F eas -> ion Bounced with ion 2:2
A gre holds
A ser supports A rum -> bud

Winter 1903 Builds
Austria: eliminated
England: N/A
France: 3 builds
Germany: 2 disbands
Italy: N/A
Russia: N/A

Winter 1903 Builds are due Tomorrow, Tuesday 13 November at 2200 EST (0300 GMT)

Elektro
2007-11-12, 10:17 PM
The New York Times - November 31, 1903

1. France (9, +3): The French have made great strides in 1903, with the invasions of England, Holland, and Germany all off to successful starts. The current French premier seems to have learned Napoleon's mistake and has invaded England. Things look rosy for the Fifth Republic (we think it's the fifth, but honestly who cares?).

2. Russia (8, 0): The Russians have kept themselves near the top of the European leader board with their capture of Budapest. However, with Rumania ceded to the Turks and their northern fleets tied up dealing with a German incursion, they made no progress their. Look for them to mop up Germany with the French in 1904.

3. Turkey (7, +1): The Turks have steadily increased their holdings in the past three years. Their conflict with the Italians will occupy them in the next year.

4. Italy (6, 0): The Italians were forced on the defensive in the Balkans and the Med in response to Turkish attacks. They will need to find a friend if they want to fight the Turks and their potential Russian ally.

5. Germany (2, -2): The German Empire has been crushed under the combined weight of the Franco-Russian alliance. Barring unforeseen circumstances, the youngest nation in Europe will not last to see its 35th anniversary.

6. England (2, -1): The English were obviously caught unawares by the French invasion. With their forces out of position, Liverpool will fall easily and the English will be left clinging on to life.

7. Austria-Hungary (0, -1): 1904 marked the end of the Austria-Hungarian Empire. While Vienna and Budapest are still controlled by the Dual Monarchy, they are now the King of Italy and Czar of Russia.

Saratoga Springs Odds Calculators

Greetings to all those betting on the outcome of the European war in Saratoga! Here are your updated odds:

France: 5:1
Russia: 7.5:1
Turkey: 10:1
Italy: 20:1
England: 50:1
Germany: 100:1

Good Luck!

Elektro
2007-11-13, 11:26 PM
Winter 1903 Results

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc197/elektrotek85/TheArtofWar-DiplomacyAll-Stars-S-3.jpg

Germany: Disbands A kie, A boh
France: Builds F bre, A par, F mar
Turkey: Builds F con

Spring 1904 Orders are due Thursday, 15 November at 2200 EST (0300 GMT)

Elektro
2007-11-13, 11:29 PM
The New York Times - January 15, 1904

European Presses Silent

While Europe has been wracked by war since the dawn of the Century, very little information is to be had from the combatants. The only voice in all of 1903 has been that of our illustrious paper. Apparently all of Europe is consumed with strategic thinking and can find no time for public relations.

Elektro
2007-11-15, 02:49 AM
Upcoming Schedule

As we are fast approaching Thanksgiving, I am posting the following schedule for your perusal. If there are any conflicts or changes needed please let me know.

Thu, 15 Nov: Spring 1904 orders due
Fri, 16 Nov: Spring retreats due
Sun, 18 Nov: Fall 1904 orders due
Mon, 19 Nov: Winter 1904 builds due
Mon, 26 Nov: Spring 1905 orders due

This will place us at a natural break point over the week of Thanksgiving.

OoC: Yay! Sextuple post madness! And goddamn, can you all at least post something? Even something like: "LOLZ!!1! Teh Swiss got pwnd!" would be acceptable in my desperate state. :smallbiggrin:

Moody the Wise
2007-11-15, 09:17 PM
ZOMIGODZ! TeH Swiss be pwned! LOLZ!!!1!!!1!

Vexen
2007-11-15, 11:49 PM
It goes to fast for me to be witty. I am still confused as to which moves I sent in. I was thinking of changing them again but I think I have missed the deadline.

Abelard
2007-11-16, 08:26 AM
It goes to fast for me to be witty. I am still confused as to which moves I sent in. I was thinking of changing them again but I think I have missed the deadline.

ITA. By the time I come up with some stuff to say, the next orders are due and it is out of date. Sigh, a casualty of the brisk pace. :smallsigh:

Elektro
2007-11-16, 08:18 PM
Spring 1904 Results

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc197/elektrotek85/BalanceofPower-F1904M-1.jpg

England
F nth -> yor
F nrg -> nao

France
F bre -> eng
F lon supports F bre -> eng
A par -> gas
F iri -> lvp
F mar -> spa/sc
A bur -> bel
A hol supports A bur -> bel
A mun supports A ber -> kie Support failed. Supported unit's order does not match support given
A ruh supports A ber -> kie Support failed. Supported unit's order does not match support given

Germany
A den -> swe Bounced with swe 1:1
F bal -> lvn

Italy
A tyr supports A tri
A ven supports A tri
A tri supports A vie
A vie supports A tri Support cut by move from gal
F ion holds
F tun supports F ion

Russia
F nwy -> nth
F ska supports F nwy -> nth
F swe -> den Bounced with den 1:1
A sil -> boh
A ber holds
A bud supports A gal -> vie
A gal -> vie Bounced with vie 2:2
F sev holds

Turkey
F con -> aeg
F eas supports F con -> aeg
F aeg -> gre
A alb supports F aeg -> gre
A ser supports F aeg -> gre
A gre -> bul
F rum supports A gre -> bul

No retreating units, retreat phase skipped.

Fall 1904 Orders are due Sunday, 18 November at 2200 EST (0300 GMT)

OoC: Please excuse the lateness of this post. My RAM on my home computer has decided this would be a good time to crap out, what will all the med school application deadlines and all. :smallannoyed:

And Moody, thanks. That was nice.:smallbiggrin: Vex and Abelard, I understand the pace problem. However, if you all ever find the time, it'll make me happy (and that's never a bad thing).

Abelard
2007-11-19, 07:10 AM
I suppose we're only going to get Fall 1904 in before the Thanksgiving break? Or maybe Winter '04 also?

Moody the Wise
2007-11-19, 12:42 PM
I suppose we're only going to get Fall 1904 in before the Thanksgiving break? Or maybe Winter '04 also?

Personally, I'm hopping on a bus home in about two hours, and once I'm home I'll have limited computer access and I'll be wicked busy. But I've already sent in Fall 1904 orders, so I don't mind if that turn happens. I'll be home until Sunday night.

Elektro
2007-11-19, 06:13 PM
Fall 1904 Orders

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc197/elektrotek85/TheArtofWar-DiplomacyAll-Stars-F-6.jpg

England
F yor -> lon Bounced with lon 1:2
F nao -> mao Bounced with spa/sc 1:1

France
F lvp holds
F lon holds
F eng supports F lon
A bel holds
A mun supports A hol-> kie
A hol -> kie
A ruh supports A mun
A gas -> bur
F spa/sc -> mao Bounced with nao 1:1

Germany
NMR, all units tasked to hold
F lvn holds
A den holds Dislodged from swe 2:1, no retreat possible unit destroyed

Italy
F ion -> alb Bounced 1:1 with alb, dislodged from aeg 3:1
F tun -> ion Failed because F ion -> alb failed
A tyr supports A tri Support cut by move from boh
A tri supports A vie -> bud Support cut by move from ser
A vie -> bud Bounced with bud 1:1, dislodged from gal 2:1
A ven supports A tri

Russia
A gal -> vie
A bud supports A gal -> vie
F swe -> den
F ska supports F swe -> den
F nth -> edi
F sev -> bla
A ber holds
A boh -> tyr Bounced with tyr 1:1

Turkey
A ser -> tri Bounced with ser 1:2
A alb supports A ser -> tri Support cut by move from ion
F aeg -> ion
F eas supports F aeg -> ion
F aeg supports F aeg -> ion
F rum -> bla
A bul -> ser Failed because A ser -> tri failed

Retreats: Italian F ion can retreat to adr, nap, tys, or disband

Winter 1904 Adjustments
England: eliminated
France: 2 builds

OoC: Get those adjustments and builds in as soon as you can. I know Moody and Abelard will be gone for the week, so I set the due date for next Monday. If I get the orders before then, I'll update accordingly. Happy Thanksgiving all!

Winter 1904 Adjustments are due next Monday, 26 November at 2200 EST (0300 GMT)

Elektro
2007-11-19, 06:27 PM
The New York Times - January 11, 1905

The War in Europe: A Special Report

And then there were four....

1. France (11, +2): The French continued their invasions of Germany and England to successful conclusions this year. France is now the only Western European power remaining, and with its ally Italy coming under heavy attack might find itself alone against the Eastern powers.

2. Russia (10, +2): The Russians made headway on all fronts, with the capture of Denmark, Edinburgh, and Vienna. However, Sevastapol fell to the Turks. Experts are still uncertain whether this presages the breakup of the alliance or is merely a decpetion ploy to fool the other powers.

3. Turkey (8, +1): The Turks continued their push into the Med and the Balkans. They seized Sevastapol in a daring attack but the Russian presence in the Black Sea poses a serious threat to the Turkish homelands.

4. Italy (5, -1): The Italians came under severe attack from the Russians and the Turks, losing control of Vienna, and perhaps more importantly, the Ionian Sea. With the Italian forces reeling and the French unable or unwilling to provide aid, the future looks bleak for Italy.

5. Germany and Britain (0, -2 and 0, -2): 1904 marked the end of the British and German Empires. Both nation's rulers have set up governments in exile in their respective colonial possessions. Ironically, the United States government has set itself up as the protector of the British and will provide security and aid.

Saratoga Springs Odds Calculator

Uncertainty in the diplomatic framework of the remaining powers have translated into uncertainity from the bookmakers. The situation is likely to be more clear in 1906, so if you have some juicy insider information, take advantage of the improved odds!

France: 10:1
Russia: 10:1
Turkey: 20:1
Italy: 50:1

Katonta
2007-11-19, 08:29 PM
Odd, I could have sworn I had already sent those orders in. *goes to check PM box* Oh, I guess I hadn't. Umm, I guess saying Oops would be an understatement, eh? :smallredface:

Well, I wish the rest good luck in the war, may the best star shine brightest.

Elektro
2007-11-27, 02:32 AM
Winter 1904 Results

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc197/elektrotek85/TheArtofWar-DiplomacyAll-Stars-S-4.jpg

Adjustments and Retreats

England: eliminated disbands F nao, F yor
France: builds A mar, F bre
Germany: eliminated, disbands F lvn
Italy: F ion -> nap
Russia: builds A war, F stp/nc
Turkey: builds A smy

Spring 1905 Orders are due Tomorrow, Tuesday, 27 November at 2200 EST (0300 GMT)

France:

Abelard
2007-11-27, 07:12 AM
Elektro, can you please review my build orders? I think that A PAR should be in MAR. Thanks.

Elektro
2007-11-27, 12:36 PM
Elektro, can you please review my build orders? I think that A PAR should be in MAR. Thanks.

You are right. I've changed the map above to reflect the proper build order (A mar).

Moody the Wise
2007-11-27, 12:54 PM
You are right. I've changed the map above to reflect the proper build order (A mar).

... Could you change it back? I think I liked A Par better ... :smallamused:

Abelard
2007-11-27, 03:29 PM
... Could you change it back? I think I liked A Par better ... :smallamused:

Heh, there's a shocker! :smallbiggrin: Let's ask Turkey which he prefers...

Elektro
2007-11-28, 12:16 AM
This is your "the deadline is up so get me your orders except for Abelard and Charity who get brownie points" warning. That is all. :smallbiggrin:

Elektro
2007-11-28, 08:55 PM
Spring 1905 Results

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc197/elektrotek85/TheArtofWar-DiplomacyAll-Stars-F-7.jpg

France
A bel holds
F bre -> eng Failed because F eng -> nth failed
A bur -> mun Failed because A mun -> sil failed
F eng -> nth Bounced with ska 2:2
A kie holds
A ruh supports A kie
F lvp -> cly
F lon supports F eng -> nth
A mun -> sil Bounced with war 1:1
F spa/sc -> wes
A mar -> pie

Italy

F nap supports F tun -> ion
F tun -> ion Bounced with ion 2:2
A tyr supports A tri -> vie Support cut by move from boh
A tri -> vie Bounced with vie 1:1, Dislodged from ser 4:1, no retreat possible, unit destroyed
A ven -> apu Bounced with smy 1:1

Russia
F bla -> con
a ber -> kie Bounced with kie 2:2
A boh -> tyr Bounced with tyr 1:1
A bud supports A ser -> tri
A vie supports A ser -> tri
F den supports A ber -> kie
F edi supports F ska -> nth
F ska -> nth Bounced with eng 2:2
F stp/nc -> nwy
A war -> sil Bounced with mun 1:1

Turkey
A alb supports A ser -> tri
A ser -> tri
A bul -> ser
F eas convoys A smy -> apu
F ion convoys A smy -> apu
F sev -> bla
A smy -> apu Bounced with ven 1:1, convoy path: smy -> eas -> ion -> apu
F gre supports F ion

Fall 1905 Orders are due Friday, 30 November at 2200 EST (0300 GMT)

Charity
2007-11-29, 03:40 AM
I was under the impression that If I attacked a conveying fleet that the convoy was disrupted at that point, am I incorrect?

Cool, so long as i know.

Elektro
2007-11-29, 03:51 AM
I had this question come up in my other game, so I'll just call on my trusty friends Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V. :smallwink:

According to the Diplomacy rulebook, the following can cause a convoy order to fail:

1. Dislodgement of the convoying unit
2. The convoy order causes a standoff -- example French F eng convoys A pic -> lon, English A lon holds

It's on page 12 if you want to read more.

Elektro
2007-12-01, 06:01 PM
Fall 1905 Results

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc197/elektrotek85/TheArtofWar-DiplomacyAll-Stars-F-8.jpg

France
F cly -> edi Bounced with edi 1:1
A bel -> hol
F bre -> eng
F lon -> yor
F eng -> lon
A kie supports A mun -> ber
A pie -> ven
A mun -> ber
A bur -> mun
A ruh supports A kie
F wes -> tun

Italy
A tyr -> tri Bounced with ser 1:2, dislodged from tri 3:1, no retreat possible, unit destroyed
A ven -> rom
F tun -> tys
F nap supports F tun -> tys

Russia
F edi -> cly Bounced with cly 1:1
A boh supports A tri -> tyr
A vie supports A tri -> tyr
A ber supports A war -> sil Support cut by move from mun, dislodged from mun 2:1
A war -> sil
A bud -> gal
A con holds Dislodged from smy 2:1
F ska -> nth
F nwy supports F ska -> nth
F den supports F ska -> nth

Turkey
A alb supports A ser -> tri
A ser -> tri
F gre -> ion
F eas supports F gre -> ion
F ion -> adr
A tri -> tyr
A smy -> con
F bla supports A smy -> con

Retreats
A ber retreats to pru
F con disbands

Adjustments
France: 3 builds
Italy: 1 disband

Winter 1905 Adjustments are due Sunday, 2 December at 2200 EST (0300 GMT)

Elektro
2007-12-03, 03:21 AM
Winter 1905 Results

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc197/elektrotek85/TheArtofWar-DiplomacyAll-Stars-S-5.jpg

France
Builds A mar
Builds A par
Builds F bre

Italy
Disbands F tys

Turkey
Builds F smy

Spring 1905 Orders are due Tuesday, 4 December at 2200 EST (0300 GMT)

Elektro
2007-12-03, 03:33 AM
The New York Times - January 2, 1906

The War in Review: 1905

1. France (14, +3): The French once again have continued their winning way with the conquest of Germany and an apparent political agreement to assume control over Italian possessions. They are the undisputed leader, but are in a race against time as the "juggernaut" of Russia and Turkey bears down upon them.

2. Russia (9, -1): The Russians were forced out of Berlin and have been forced to regroup their forces. The Bear will have to see tactical successes this year if it wishes to prevent itself from becoming a vassal of the French.

2. Turkey (9, +1): The Turks continued their push into Western Europe and Italy. With their Russian allies they will look to put the French on the defensive.

3. Italy (2, -2): The Italians are only barely hanging on to life. It is unclear whether France will use them as a bulwark against the Turks or simply finish them off, but either way Italy will soon be gobbled up.

Elektro
2007-12-05, 02:22 AM
Spring 1906 Results

EDIT: Includes French retreat A ven -> tus

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc197/elektrotek85/TheArtofWar-DiplomacyAll-Stars-F-9.jpg

France
A ber holds Dislodged from sil 2:1, no retreat possible, unit destroyed
F cly supports F yor -> edi
F eng -> bel
A hol supports F eng -> bel
A kie supports A ber Support cut by move from den
F lon -> nth Bounced with edi 1:2
A mar -> pie
A mun -> sil Bounced with gal 1:1
A par -> bur
A ruh -> mun Failed because A mun -> sil failed
F tun holds
A ven -> tyr Bounced with tyr 1:1, dislodged from tyr 3:1

Italy
F nap -> ion Bounced against ion 1:2
A rom supports A ven Support failed: move orders must be supported explicitly

Russia
A sil -> ber
A pru supports A sil -> ber
A gal -> sil Bounced with mun 1:1
A boh -> mun Bounced with ruh 1:1
A vie supports A tyr Support failed: move orders must be supported explicitly
F den -> kie Bounced with kie 1:1
F edi -> nth
F nth -> hel
F nwy supports F edi -> nth

Turkey
A tyr -> ven
F adr supports A tyr -> ven
A tri supports A tyr -> ven
A alb -> apu convoy path: alb -> ion -> apu
F ion convoys A alb -> ion
F eas supports F ion
F smy -> aeg
A con -> bul
F bla -> con

French A ven retreats to tus

Fall 1906 Orders are due Friday, 7 November at 2200 EST (0300 GMT)

Elektro
2007-12-07, 10:14 PM
Fall 1906 Results

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc197/elektrotek85/TheArtofWar-DiplomacyAll-Stars-F-10.jpg

France
F eng -> nth
F cly -> nrg Bounced with nwy 1:1
F edi supports F eng -> nth
F lon support F eng -> nth
F bel supports f eng -> nth
A hol supports A kie Support cut by move from nth
A kie supports A mun Support cut by move from ber, dislodged from ber 3:2, no retreat possible, unit destroyed
A ruh supports A kie
A mun supports A kie Support cut by move from boh
A bur supports A mun
A pie supports A tus -> ven
A tus -> ven Bounced with ven 2:2
F tun -> ion Bounced with aeg 1:2

Italy
A rom -> apu
F nap supports A rom -> apu

Russia
A gal -> sil
A boh -> mun Bounced with mun 1:2
A vie -> tyr
A pru -> ber
A ber -> kie
F den supports A ber -> kie
F hel supports A ber -> kie
F nth -> hol Bounced with hol 1:1, dislodged from eng 4:1
F nwy -> nrg Bounced with cly 1:1

Turkey
F adr supports A ven
A ven supports A apu -> rom Support cut by move from tus
A apu -> rom Bounced with rom 1:1, dislodged from rom 2:1, no retreat possible, unit destroyed
A tri supports A vie -> tyr
A bul -> ser
F ion -> tys
F aeg -> ion
F eas supports F aeg -> ion
F con -> aeg

Fall 1906 Retreats
Russian F nth retreats to ska

Winter 1906 Adjustments
France: no change
Italy: no change
Russia: 1 build
Turkey: 2 builds

Winter 1906 Builds are due Sunday, 9 December at 2200 EST (0300 GMT)

Moody the Wise
2007-12-07, 10:35 PM
Since I've got the only retreat, here it is, and we can all get on with our lives: F Nth-Ska.

Moody the Wise
2007-12-07, 10:57 PM
Fall 1905 Results

yada yada yada

Winter 1904 Builds are due Sunday, 9 December at 2200 EST (0300 GMT)

Also, I'm not sure what is going on with the space-time continuum here, but it's totally Winter 1906. Probably something to do with the flux capacitor.

Moody the Wise
2007-12-07, 11:33 PM
I am sad to report that by my count (and by the count of my newly-updated jDip file for this game) France has no disbands. Curious as to how this could be after he lost three centers and only had two units destroyed, I went back to the Spring 06 map. It seems as though at that point he had 14 SCs and 13 units, so the shortfall there accounts for it.

Elektro
2007-12-08, 12:36 AM
Also, I'm not sure what is going on with the space-time continuum here, but it's totally Winter 1906. Probably something to do with the flux capacitor.

In my defense, I'm a retard. :smallbiggrin:

I am sad to report that by my count (and by the count of my newly-updated jDip file for this game) France has no disbands. Curious as to how this could be after he lost three centers and only had two units destroyed, I went back to the Spring 06 map. It seems as though at that point he had 14 SCs and 13 units, so the shortfall there accounts for it.

You are correct. I failed to account for the loss of A ber in S1906. Both things are updated in the previous post. Thanks for checking.

Moody the Wise
2007-12-08, 02:04 PM
Russian News and World Report

1. France, with 12 supply centers, is still playing the lead on the European stage. However, with the loss of two supply centers this year, France's time on the top of this chart may be limited.
2. Russia, with 10 supply centers, made a stunning and daring comeback this year, taking back Berlin and then sacrificing its North Sea position to push onward into Kiel. Although France now controls the North Sea, Russian fleets line the region and hungrily await any chance France will give them to take it back.
2. Turkey now has 10 supply centers as well. The progress of Turkey has been slow but steady for sure. Swiss watchmakers are working on a way to set their watches to the progress of Turkey. With a Turkish fleet now in the Tyrhennian Sea, could this be the end of French hegemony in the Iberian peninsula?
3. Italy, with only 2 supply centers left, represents the smallest but most resilient threat to the Russo-Ottoman alliance. Even though he is blatantly giving his supply centers to France, we really wish he'd just die.

mdsoze
2007-12-09, 07:25 PM
Since my PM box is full and I don't have time to clear it out before the deadline, Turkey builds two armies, one in Con and one in Smy.

I think this should be totally unsurprising to anyone, and so I have no problem posting it in the thread. I'll be clearing out the box tomorrow morning though, so if anyone wants to do Diplomacy, feel free to send me something.

Elektro
2007-12-10, 01:02 PM
Winter 1906 Results

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc197/elektrotek85/TheArtofWar-DiplomacyAll-Stars-S-7.jpg

Russia: Builds F stp/nc
Turkey: Builds A con, A smy

Spring 1907 Orders are due Tuesday, 11 December at 2200 EST (0300 GMT)

Elektro
2007-12-12, 01:40 PM
Spring 1907 Results

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc197/elektrotek85/TheArtofWar-DiplomacyAll-Stars-F-11.jpg

France
F bel supports F nth
A bur -> gas
F cly -> nao
F edi -> nwg
A hol holds
F lon supports F nth
A mun -> tyr Dislodged from tyr 3:1
F nth supports F edi -> nth Support cut by move from ska
A pie supports A mun -> tyr
A ruh supports A hol
F tun -> wes
A tus -> rom

Italy
A apu supports A tus -> rom Support cut by move from ven
F nap supports A tus -> rom

Russia
A ber supports A kie
A den supports A kie
F hel supports A kie
A kie holds
F stp/nc -> bar
A tyr -> mun
A sil supports A tyr -> mun
A boh supports A tyr -> mun
F ska -> nth Bounced with nth 2:3
F nwy supports F ska -> nth

Turkey
F adr supports F eas -> ion
F aeg supports F eas ion
F eas -> ion
A con -> bul
F ion -> tys
A ser -> tri
A smy -> con
A tri -> tyr
F tys -> lyo
A ven -> apu Bounced with apu 1:1

Retreats
A mun retreats to bur

Game Information
I assumed you'd want that retreat Abelard since it's that or disband :smallsmile:. It saves me time to do it now. Also, I'm going to shift the game to one season per week. So from the week of Dec at least January, we will have only one season. This will account for the business of the holidays and people like Moody who will have limited computer access. It will also give you all plenty of time to scheme, as 1908 will likely be the most important year in this game.

Fall 1907 Results are due Friday, 14 December at 2200 EST (0300 GMT)

Abelard
2007-12-12, 02:51 PM
Ha! See, I... oh, wait, never mind, I read the map wrong.

Drat.

Elektro
2007-12-15, 12:42 PM
Fall 1907 Results

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc197/elektrotek85/TheArtofWar-DiplomacyAll-Stars-F-12.jpg

France
F ebl -> eng
A bur -> mun Bounced with sil 2:2
A gas -> spa[/U Bounced with lyo 1:1]
[U]A kol -> kie Bounced with ber 1:1, dislogded from kie 2:1
F lon -> nth Failed because F nth -> nwy failed
F nao -> mao
F nth -> nwy Bounced with nwy 1:1, dislodged from nwy 3:1
F nwg supports F nth -> nwy Support cut by move from bar
A pie -> mar
rom holds
A ruh supports A bur -> mun
F wes -> tys

Italy
A apu supports A ven Support cut by move from con, dislodged from con 2:1, no retreat possible, unit destroyed
F nap -> ion Bounced against ion 1:1

Russia
F bar -> nwg Bounced against nwg 1:1
A ber -> kie
A kie -> hol
F hel supports A kie -> hol
F nwy -> nth
F den supports F nwy -> nth
F ska supports F nwy -> nth
A mun -> ruh Bounced with ruh 1:1
A boh supports A sil -> mun
A sil -> mun Bounced with bur 2:2

Turkey
F adr spports A con -> apu
F aeg convoys A con -> apu
F ion convoys A con -> apu
A bul -> ser
A con -> apu convoy path con -> aeg -> ion -> apu
F lyo -> spa/sc Bounced with gas 1:1
A tri supports A ven
A tyr -> pie
A ven supports A tyr -> pie
F tys -> tun

Retreats
French A hol can retreat to bel or disband
French F nth can retreat to yor, edi, bel, or disband

Adjustments
France: 2 disbands

Winter 1907 Builds are due Monday, 17 December at 2200 EST (0300 GMT)

Spring 1908 Moves are due Wednesday, 19 December at 2200 EST (0300 GMT)

Elektro
2007-12-18, 01:09 PM
Winter 1907 Results

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc197/elektrotek85/TheArtofWar-DiplomacyAll-Stars-S-8.jpg

France: Disbands F nwg
Russia: Builds A war. 1 build was unused.
Turkey: Builds A smy

Spring 1908 Moves are due Wednesday, 19 December at 2200 EST (0300 GMT)

Abelard
2007-12-19, 09:13 AM
Now playing in French cinemas:

The new documentary from President Abelard, updating an older American classic comedy. Rick Moranis narrates "Honey, I Shrunk the Empire."

The film has earned poor reviews from most of our citizens, but tourists from Turkey and Russia have left the theater laughing hysterically. Then again, French humor has always been a little hard to fathom.

Elektro
2007-12-22, 01:48 PM
Spring 1908 Results

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc197/elektrotek85/TheArtofWar-DiplomacyAll-Stars-S-9.jpg

France
F mao -> naf
F tys -> wes
A gas supports A bur -> mar
A rom holds Dislodged from apu 2:1
A bur -> mar
A mar -> spa
A ruh -> bur
A bel holds
F eng -> mao
F lon -> eng

Italy
F nap supports A rom Support cut by move from ion

Russia
F bar -> nwy
F nth -> yor
F ska -> nth
F den supports F ska -> nth
F hel supports F ska -> nth
A hol holds
A kie supports A hol
A boh supports A mun
A mun holds
A sil -> ber
A war -> sil

Turkey:
F lyo -> tys
F tun supports F lyo -> tys
F ion -> nap Bounced with nap 1:1
A apu -> rom
A ven supports A apu -> rom
A pie -> mar Bounced against bur 1:2
A tri supports A ser
A ser supports A tri
F adr -> ion Failed because f ion -> nap failed
F aeg supports F adr -> ion
A smy holds

Retreats:
French A rom can retreat to tus or disband

Since it's the holidays and we're all busy, Fall 1908 orders will be due in two weeks.

Fall 1908 Orders are due Friday, 4 January 2008 at 2200 EST (0300 GMT)

Abelard
2008-01-04, 11:09 AM
While we still rule the Atlantic, the Bureau for Colonization of New Lands has gone exploring to find a suitable place to relocate the French people after this, well, to borrow a word from our Italian neighbors, fiasco. The country of Argentina looked lovely until we realized that the former Germans had already resettled there. We decided to not pursue that avenue further...

Our next stop was Canada - after all, we did own it a hundred or so years back, didn't we? What's a century between friends? Quite a lot, it seems. The remnants are clustered around a few nice cities around those big lakes, and the rest seem to have been shipped off by the English. Lovely. And since we get the feeling the England isn't too thrilled with us at the moment, either, we moved on...

Africa? We used to hold some stuff down there. Eh, still to Dark Continent-y... and too close to those wretched Turks...

Hey, hey! Southeast Asia! We seem to own some of this, too. Hot as anything and a bit sticky, but I'm sure it's plenty stable, [1800's-style colonial-era voice] and since we can't understand what they people who already live there are saying, we can just pretend it's some kind of welcome! Huzzah! [/1800-s c-e v] Prepare packing at once!

Ont-day ell-tay the avy-nay; they can cover our departure! Croissants for all!

See, now that I don't have to waste my time with silly things like negotiating and strategy and winning, I seem to have plenty of time to make witty game posts! Thanks, mdsoze and Moody! :smalltongue:

Elektro
2008-01-05, 01:54 AM
You all get a gold star for remember the deadline without any prompting from me. Good job! And without further ado ...

Fall 1908!

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc197/elektrotek85/TheArtofWar-DiplomacyAll-Stars-F-13.jpg

France
A bel -> pic
A bur holds
F eng -> mao
A gas supports A bur hold
A mar supports A tus -> pie
F mao -> wes
F naf supports F mao -> wes
A spa holds
A tus -> pie Bounced with pie 2:2
F wes -> lyo

Italy
F nap holds Dislodged from ion 2:1, no retreat possible, unit destroyed

Russia
A ber -> mun
A boh -> vie
F den -> nth
F nth -> edi
F yor -> lon
F nwy -> nrg
F hel -> hol
A hol -> ruh
A kie supports A hol -> ruh
A mun -> tyr
A sil -> gal

Turkey
F adr -> apu
F aeg -> ion
F ion -> nap
A pie supports A ven Support cut by move from tus
A rom supports F ion -> nap
A ser -> bud
A smy holds
F tun supports F tys
F tys supports F tun
A ven supports A pie
A tri holds

Retreats
No retreats

Adjustments
France: 3 disbands
Italy: eliminated
Turkey: 3 builds

Winter 1908 Adjustments are due Sunday, 6 January 2008 at 2200 EST (0300 GMT)

Moody the Wise
2008-01-05, 02:34 AM
Open letter to the hated Ottomans:

Dear Matt,

Suck it.

Sincerely,
Russia

P.S. I mean ... I clearly turned on you too, so it's all good, I'm just a little confused as to why you didn't go all out. Anyway, may the best man win.

mdsoze
2008-01-05, 08:28 AM
Very simple. In case you weren't turning on me, I wanted to be able to sell it as... "I was just keeping us balanced."

But alas..... it was not meant to be.

Elektro
2008-01-07, 06:22 PM
Winter 1909 Results

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc197/elektrotek85/TheArtofWar-DiplomacyAll-Stars-S-10.jpg

France: Disbands A pic, A bur, A gas
Russia: Builds A war, A mos
Turkey: Builds F ank, A con

Spring 1909 Orders are due Friday, 11 January at 2200 EST ()#)) GMT)

Abelard
2008-01-09, 10:16 PM
Not to be a wet blanket, but I'll ask the question anyway: Matt, do you want to keep fighting a few more turns, or should we give the win to Moody?

mdsoze
2008-01-10, 11:31 AM
I want to put up a resistance and fight hard. I'm sorry I haven't PM'd you yet. I'm just bad with PMs. Much better with IM or e-mail.

Look, Obviously, we need to stop fighting, and redeploy around to try to contain russia. That's been my strategy all along, and I assumed you do the same thing.

I'm planning a massive redeployment to try to contain him, to the best of my abilities. I'm moving away from you, and back twoards him.

We're fighting on separate fronts, so I don't see much room for coordination.

But I'm going to try to prevent the solo, and I hope you do the same.

Matt

Abelard
2008-01-11, 08:27 AM
Look, Obviously, we need to stop fighting, and redeploy around to try to contain russia. That's been my strategy all along, and I assumed you do the same thing.
Matt

This would have been really good to know before I disbanded all the northern units! :smallredface:

mdsoze
2008-01-12, 08:24 AM
Yes, well, you aren't supposed to conduct Diplomacy during the build phase anyways. :)

Elektro
2008-01-16, 06:49 PM
Sorry for the delay. I was in St. Louis for a med school interview. With that, I'm back and ready to finish up this game. Check your PM boxes for the invite to round 2!

Spring 1909 Results

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc197/elektrotek85/TheArtofWar-DiplomacyAll-Stars-S-12.jpg

France

A tus holds
F naf holds
F mao -> eng Bounced with nth 1:1
F wes -> mao Failed because F mao -> eng failed
F lyo -> wes Failed because F wes -> mao failed
A mar -> bur Bounced with mun 1:2
A spa -> bur Failed because A mar -> bur failed

Russia
F edi -> cly
F lon -> wal
F nth -> eng Bounced with mao 1:1
F nwg -> nao
F hol -> bel
A ruh supports A mun -> bur
A mun -> bur
A vie -> bud
A gal supports A vie -> bud
A tyr -> tri Bounced with tri 1:1, dislodged from pie 2:1
A war -> ukr
A mos -> sev
A kie -> mun

Turkey

A smy -> arm
F ank -> bla
A con -> bul
A pie -> tyr
A ven supports A pie -> tyr
A tri supports A bud Support cut by move from tyr
A bud supports A tri Support cut by move from bud, dislodged from bud 2:1
F apu -> adr
F nap -> ion
F ion -> aeg
A rom -> nap
F tys supports F tun
F tun supports F tys

Retreats
Russian A tyr can retreat to boh, vie or disband
Turkish A bud can retreat to rum, ser, or disband

Fall 1909 Orders are due this Friday, 18 January at 2200 EST (0300 GMT)

thewamp
2008-01-25, 02:35 AM
Hey, I'm beginning another (youngstown) game (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3835437). Just giving a head's up for any of you interested in joining. I'll be GMing a standard one starting in early February, as well.

Elektro
2008-01-26, 07:11 PM
Fall 1909 Results - Russia Claims Victory!

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc197/elektrotek85/TheArtofWar-DiplomacyAll-Stars-F-14.jpg

France
F lyo convoys A tus -> spa
A spa -> gas
A mar supports A spa -> gas
F naf -> mao
F wes supports F naf -> mao
A tus -> spa convoy path: tus -> lyo -> spa

Russia
F bel -> pic
A boh supports A gal -> vie
A bud -> tri Bounced with tri 1:1
A bur -> par
F cly -> lvp
A gal -> vie
A mun -> tyr Bounced with tyr 1:1
F nao -> mao Bounced with naf 1:2
F nth -> eng
A ruh -> bel
A sev -> rum
A ukr supports A sev -> rum
F wal -> iri

Turkey
No moves received, all units tasked to hold

Final Supply Center Count
Russia: 18
Turkey: 13
France: 4

All-Star Scoring

As part of our All-Star rankings, I will now tally up the score. Here is how points are earned:

1 point for every SC controlled at the end of the game:
10 points for a solo win
2 points for surviving to the finish
1st - 10 points
2nd - 8 points
3rd - 6 points
4th - 4 points
5th - 3 points
6th - 2 points
7th 1 point

Standings after Game 1:

1: Moody_the_Wise, 40 points
2: mdsoze, 23 points
3. Abelard, 12 points
4. Charity, 4 points
5. katonta, 3 points
6. Vexen, 2 points

Congratulations to Moody for his solo win. EOG reports would be greatly appreciated.

I'll see you all at round 2!

Moody the Wise
2008-01-27, 01:37 AM
Hmm ... what to say, what to say?

Well, thanks to Elektro for being an excellent GM and to my great and worthy opponents Abelard and mdsoze. I had a lot of fun playing with both of you. As for those who left the game earlier, either by elimination or dropping out, I recognize your contributions as well, but mdsoze and Abelard are the two players I interacted with most from the beginning straight through to the bitter end.

Now, back to the beginning. I started off the game with one of the better jokes I've ever come up with: the Moosacks. So that was fun.

As I've said, I was working closely with Abelard and mdsoze from day 1. Mdsoze and I ruthlessly tore Vexen's A-H a new one, while Abelard and I planned for the future when our armies would meet. I put an army into Silesia in Fall 1901 and managed to reassure Germany that it was there only to give me leverage on Galicia. I boldly slapped England in the face in Spring 1902 by taking Norway. I got a windfall there with England NMRing that turn and the next. In the Fall of 1902 I moved on Germany by taking Berlin and made one of the key maneuvers of the game in the Balkans. I gave Italy, the natural enemy of me and Turkey, support into Vienna. I did this without telling Turkey first. You know what they say, that it's always easier to ask forgiveness than to ask permission? Well, it worked out for me here. Turkey accepted my apology, and from that moment on our destinies were intertwined. I had succeeded in setting Italy up in just the right way as to give Turkey little choice but to remain allied to me. I also succeeded in setting that eventual war up to take long enough to settle some affairs in the North.

In 1903 I continued my policy of building a Northern fleet, and it paid off: I was able to hold on to Norway and Sweden. I also told my ally France that in return for my support into Munich, he needed to turn on England. I'm not sure how that worked out for me in the end, as it clearly did benefit France to do it, but I was able to convince England to turn back on France whereas I had the sneaking suspicion that he otherwise would have been a French puppet. It also made France enough of a threat that, in continuation of previous policy, Turkey really had to stay with me or he would hand the game to France. I must say here that my interpretation of events may be very shaky: when dealing with Abelard, I was never sure exactly who was manipulating whom. Also in 1903, I gave up Rumania to Turkey in a plan that catapulted me into Budapest as compensation. Thus began the program of ceding land to Turkey that would eventually result in the willing transfer to him of one of my home supply centers, Sevastopol. 1903 marked the end of the Austro-Hungarian empire. So it goes.

In 1904 Germany, or at least so it seemed, decided to throw itself at me. I got off easy with the NMR that Fall, at which point Germany (and England) ceased to be. In the Spring I declined France's support into Kiel by just not moving out of Berlin. That's a hard one to explain ... but I think I was just scared of meeting France's armies so closely, especially at a time when I had so few of my own in the area. This, added to my unannounced seizure of Edinburgh, was the start of real tensions between me and France. On the Southern front, things were mostly uninteresting, save for the aforementioned willing sacrifice of Sevastopol to Turkey. It may seem counterintuitive, but I believe it was one of the shrewdest moves I made in this game. It may or may not have genuinely confused France as to the Russo-Turkish alliance, but either way it kept that alliance together and it gave me an easy supply center to take back when Turkey and I eventually had to fight.

1905 was a breakout year for the T-R against Italy. Up North, France took Berlin from me, but I managed to put myself back in the North Sea and hold on to everything else.

1906 was an excellent year. Not only did I take back Berlin, I marched straight on to Kiel and took that too. By the end of the year, I had five units that could act on Munich and four on the North Sea. While I lost (and sort of abandoned, because I knew I'd lose it) Edinburgh, I netted one against France and was in a great position to continue advancing. If there was one year that defined this game, 1906 may very well have been the one. No offense intended to Abelard - I have said before and will say again that I consider him the better diplomat - but I think I truly outplayed him in this year. With the fruits of my labor I built yet another fleet in St. Petersburg.

1907 saw the fall of Munich to my forces in the Spring, followed by the capture of Holland and the North Sea in the Fall. I built an army in Warsaw and waived my other build, anticipating to use it to surprise Turkey in Winter 1908 when I planned to turn on him for the win.

Fall 1908 saw the mutual stab with Turkey. I was really glad that he made his move the same season that I made mine; I had enjoyed working with him, and the whole thing just felt right this way. He got Budapest out of the stab, but all I got was position: Galicia, specifically. Around now France had decided to make a pull South as inducement for Turkey to stab me. I'm not sure what role that played in mdsoze's decision, but it happened.

There's not much to say about 1909, really. Despite an attempt to redeploy Northward after Turkey's stab, France was unable to do much and I took Liverpool, Belgium, and Paris off his hands. Meanwhile, I took Budapest and Rumania from Turkey to seal the deal and get the five I needed to reach 18. Huh ... I wonder how often people win solo victories without controlling all their home supply centers? Well, I would have gotten it back had we played further seasons.

To close, this was the best game I have played in a while and challenged me both diplomatically and strategically at every turn. I benefited from a few strokes of good luck, but I also benefited from a few strokes of genius. So while I must acknowledge Lady Luck as my ally, I will still proudly call myself the rightful winner of this game.

I look forward to reading End of Game reports from the others, and possibly one from Elektro.

Abelard
2008-01-28, 12:07 AM
get comfortable - this will take a while...

Art of War: France's EOG Statement

Ever get that deja vu feeling? You know, like you've done this same thing before? This game, I unbelievably made the same mistake that I made in the Backstab game - I didn't pay enough attention to the other side of the board. I could just kick myself.

The game started off weirdly. Personally, as France, I prefer the E-F alliance because I hate having to start an attack that heads into a corner just as things start solidifying in the east. But I promised myself to be open to all idas.

Germany had "interesting" ideas, such as that he must get 3 builds in 1901, that he wanted Norway, and he wanted me to forward every PM (both sent and received) to him for full disclosure. Whoa. OK, scratch Germany off the list as a potential ally - there was no way that I could keep katonta content if that's how he started.

England said that he was willing to be my ally, but that he felt that the E-F screwed England. So... you're signing up for an alliance that you think dooms you to failure? Either you've got a really savage pessimistic streak, or you're just going to look for the first opportunity to make a stab. Heck, even if you think that, don't admit it! So I knew England wouldn't make a good ally.

Having written off my two traditional allies, I made nice with Russia. I told him that katonta and Elder Kin were insane and needed to be removed from the game for their own good. Or our own good, whatever. Unsurprisingly, Moody thought that was a good idea. Suddenly, I had visions of a F/R bisecting the board, laying waste to all wantonly, and it was beautiful. Unfortunately, it clouded my thinking for a long time to come...

I didn't get much out of Italy, so I didn't really have a southern policy - we said enough to tell each other to stay away. Nothing from Vexen in Austria that I recall (which would be problematic later), and very little from mdsoze in the far corner.

I'm relatively sure that I caused the many bounces in Denmark between England and Germany - Elder Kin seemed to take my advice that it was the best way to slow Germany, and katonta kept believing me when I said that no way would England attack Denmark again. But both of my neighbors were obsessing over Germany getting into Norway. Now that the game is over, I hope that one of you could kindly explain what the thinking there was.

Then Italy attacked Munich, which was almost a complete shock to me, and I hate to admit that. Sure, I told him that Germany told me that he wasn't going to cover Munich, but in a game like this, I half expected Charity's response to be something about Turkey supporting me into STP. The great thing is that I was able to pretend to be Germany's friend one turn longer than Moody could - the move into BER showed Moody's commitment to attacking Germany and allowed me to move into RUH, pretty much dooming Germany.

It was drawn out, though, by Vexen replacing Elder Kin in England. I was going to stab England first, actually, but Elektro's backup orders would have bounced me, so I stuck to the script. Vexen and I actually worked up a plan to get him involved with the destruction of Germany - hopefully, only to a small extent, as I was still eyeing those British dots. But there was a bad silence at a critical time, and not having worked with Vexen very long made me wonder how on-board he was with me.

And here's where I screwed up the game. Moody got very odd suddenly, and we passed a tense few days with long messages, each convinced one was going to stab the other. Moody, you said it well above: I'm not sure who was "ahead" for most of that time. For a day, I think we all but declared war on each other before sort of patching things up. But what I didn't do was evaluate this dust-up with regards to what he had in the east. In hindsight, there was a good R/T, but I was convinced that Moody would pick the F/R over it. Why? I don't know. I certainly can't think of any good reason now. Nothing in the messages seems to indicate that it was anything more than a slight possibility. So, Moody, I give you credit - right there, in that season or two, you won the game by playing me like a fiddle. You said that I had to attack England immediately to keep our alliance intact, and I handed you the rosin.

So I crashed into England anyway as I was mopping up Germany. Whee! I got a little concerned when Russia moved into NTH, but not too much. I was doing the math and thinking that I suddenly had a real shot at 18, especially because katonta, bless him, was taking that rogue fleet to an unopposed shot at STP! Russia would have to stop, turn around, and dedicate at least two units to squish the raider, and with that I would have enough time to position my own fleets to bear on Scandinavia as well as prepare a push into Italy. Seriously, look at the map after Spring 1904. It's possible! I got all excited for it... and then Germany NMR'd! Aaaarrrrrgggghhhh!!

Plus, Russia took EDI, and I realized our deal was done for good. I tried (lamely) to shame him into coming to my side, but by now I saw that the R/T was serving him too well, and there was no way he'd break it at that point. Saw it about two seasons too late.

Italy asked me to take his dots before Turkey did, but I wasn't strong enough in the south to really hold them. I made the push all the same, but got stalled at about 15 units, as I feared I would. So here I was, three dots from the win, and knowing I was doomed to lose. It felt horrible.

I tried to fight both fronts but quickly realized that wasn't going to work, so I took the opportunity to play "kingmaker". Sure, Moody had more-or-less betrayed me, but I found that fact that he outplayed me more deserving of the victory than the occasional too-short notes from Turkey (that in retrospect he meant even less than I suspected he did at the time). I even tried to use that to negotiate with Turkey, to no avail. At the end, mdsoze convinced me to at least try to force a draw, but we see how that turned out, don't we?

I had an OK game. I played well against Germany and England at the start, and had a good plan to get me into the midgame. On the bad side, I botched catching the R/T and attacked the only other power I could hope would have helped me, Vexen's England version 2. I'm not too upset with a third place finish - even my F/R "master plan" proposed a race to 18 at the end, so there was always the idea that maybe I'd end up in second even if everything went right, so I'm only one spot lower. I know, it all sounds like justification now...

Communication between myself and Moody and katonta was excellent, and not too bad with Elder Kin before he dropped out. Charity and I should have worked together better, and Vexen was understandably silent as Austria, but still not very talkative as England. mdsoze and I never talked enough; I'd send him vague ideas, hoping he'd bite, and he'd send back one-sentence replies for more information that felt more like fishing than real enthusiasm. To me, the talking and negotiations are a huge part of the game - I've been "accused" of letting my negotiations determine my tactics, and that's pretty much spot on.

I was OK with the quick turnaround time; another day or two here and there would have made it easier to get orders in and still make fun posts in the game thread, which I missed doing.

Thanks to all the other players, and of course a huge thanks to Elektro for running this one. At least we made it quick!

Sorry I won't be joining you all for part 2 - as a pension consultant, I get as busy as accountants this time of year, so starting a new game before April 15 is pretty much a dozen ulcers waiting to happen. Best of luck to all!

- Abelard

Elektro
2008-01-28, 12:34 AM
Elektro's EOG

First of all, I'd like to thank all the players. I wasn't sure what to expect when I sent out the invites for the first "All-Stars" game. Even though there were still noticeable gaps in talent, I have to say that almost everyone was excellent at sticking with this game. Everyone should be proud that our game actually finished! :smallwink:

As I see it, this game had two distinct parts. The first was up until France and Russia squared off in Germany. I would say that Abelard played the more skillful game up until this point. It looked as if at the very least he could hold the Holcombe Line (kie-ruh-bur) and block the north. That would allow him freedom in the south. Moody and mdsoze did quite nicely to position themselves for endgame dominance with their carving up of Austria and the Balkans.

The critical point in the game has to be the German NMR. As Abelard said, the loss of stp would have slowed Russia enough that Abelard could've moved enough fleets to clog the Barents. However, after that he could only hold on
as the Juggernaut rolled east. I though Moody played it beautifully, with the planned disband of his southern fleet and the transfer of sev.

From about 1907 on it was over. Abelard had pretty much given up against Moody and made it official in W1908. His actions then were disappointing based on his previous brilliance, but then again I've never been 3 away only to see it all slip away.

Congrats to Moody for an excellent win. Mdsoze probably should have stabbed earlier, but it was probably futile after Russia dominated the north Atlantic.

On my GMing, I'd say I did okay. I feel bad about my backup orders, because Abelard could make the case that these cost him the game. The fast timeframe worked great in terms of getting the game done quickly. It lost too much in the banter though, so all of the "All-Star" games in the future will be back to 1/week. I feel I was very lenient and accomodating with delays and late orders, and I paid off in a relatively low NMR rate and good player retention.

I'll miss Abelard in the next game. We'll start one April 16, so get ready. :smallbiggrin:

Abelard
2008-01-29, 09:38 PM
From about 1907 on it was over. Abelard had pretty much given up against Moody and made it official in W1908. His actions then were disappointing based on his previous brilliance, but then again I've never been 3 away only to see it all slip away.

In case anyone is still reading this, I wanted to defend my "disappointing" late-game orders.

Once I realized that the R/T was solid and I made my run for 18, getting stopped at 15 was it. Neither Russia nor Turkey could afford to stab the other while I was still a large power, so I had unwittingly made extra sure that the R/T was locked tight for a few more years (brilliant, wasn't it? :smallsigh: ). I think for the first two seasons I tried to fight both Moody in central Europe and mdsoze in the Med/Italy, but it became obvious that because I had to split my forces and they were leaving nothing in reserve, I was just outnumbered and was going to be forced back to France itself. There would be no split in the R/T until they were each big enough and I was small enough that I'd not be able to latch onto one or the other and still have a shot at a win.

That's why I took the course that I did. As far as my placement, I was coming in third. But I could still affect who came in first, so why shouldn't I? And, because I'm such a wonderful person and not a vindictive snot, I chose for Moody out of respect for his negotiations and skill, and not against him because he outplayed me. Pullbacks and disbandings in the north followed, and that was that.

I contend that had Turkey stabbed sooner and gotten me on board, he could have won the game himself. Unfortunately for him, they stabbed at the same time, so there was no surprise to be gained.

Vexen
2008-01-29, 11:57 PM
Austria's EOG:

First I must apologize, I did not NMR in this game, but I did suicide it twice. oops.

I was really anticipating the game and was excited to sign up, however, the day it started, I was hit with a big deadline at work. Also I shortly there after bought a house and moved. losing internet at home for a week. Those of you who were in the youngstown game with me will remember how fatal the NMR and then the missed build orders were for me in that game.

Anyway, order deadlines were coming up and I hadn't a chance to really talk to anyone, except a quick message sent to Turkey. Just feeling out the area. He suggested we work together, so I trusted him and puppeted what he told me. MdSoze you stinking liar, I don't think you said a truthful thing to me the entire game.:smalltongue:

Anyway, long story short, he stabbed me, so next round I do exactly as he says again. In short a brilliant strategy that left me to my quick demise.

England-

I really only took over England so the flow of the game could continue. I hated to see an NMR ruin the game, though replacing someone also throws a wrench in the game. I realized it was a lost cause but at least once i joined no one could yell at the shadow moves by elektro. When France offered assistance, I threw myself at it.
For the record Abelard, I am not usually extremely talkative in an accord, probably bad in Diplomacy. But once an agreement has been reached or a fact presented I stick to it. Usually.:smallwink:
Anyway, France stabbed me as expected, but I was willing to take the chance because I needed a full on attack on Germany to get SC's to actually get into the game instead of being a stump in the way of the plow. Russia then offered truce, which I saw as suicide, but again, at this point I had already been eliminated once and was feeling quite out of place playing again so... I went with it.

I was at the time talking with Germany, and was suggesting to him how to stab well at Russia. It was his Idea but I ran with it. . . However, he um. . . did something else and then NMR'd so I can't claim any assistance in that.

I am hoping to make a better showing in the next game as I have played France more than any other country maybe it will work out.