PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Sorlock with Spell Point + Sorcery Point Combined

Genoin
2019-09-26, 08:10 PM
My DM has agreed to let me use the Spell Point variant, and combine Spell and Sorcery points into a single pool. I know that some people have used this houserule without much trouble, and some don't care for it as much. The point of this thread is NOT to discuss the balance of playing this way. That being said I do not intend to abuse this by never casting real spells and just quickening Eldritch Blasts all day long.

We are starting level 5, I am considering playing a Hexblade 2 / Shadow Sorcerer 3 (The spell points will still only apply to the sorcerer side, as RAW in the DMG)

Currently thinking Agonizing Blast + Repelling Blast for damage/control, Hexblade for medium armor and shields + Hex Warrior/Hexblade's Curse. Shadow Sorcerer because basically all the features are pretty strong.

Looking for some input on basically everything else about the build. Including but not limited to:

Archetypes - leaning Shadow/Hexblade, but also considering Divine Soul, or another warlock subclass if anyone had a good argument for choosing a non hexblade.
Race - Due to rolling stats, if I take a +2 Cha race my Charisma is maxed. So some considerations are Yuan-Ti Pureblood (It's allowed) or Half Elf (to take Elven Accuracy next level to use with the Shadow Sorc Darkness)
Spell Selection - Obviously damage is pretty well covered already with EB+AB, so I am leaning toward some more broadly applicable utility spells and out of combat spells, though obviously at Sorcerer 5 I will still probably take Fireball. Do I take Hex as a spell known? It's good synergy, but cant be combined with Darkness.
Other things that may be better with the combined spell point/sorc point system than a regular Sorlock

Things like that, or just general input on the build. Heck, if you really want, tell me why I should just play a sorcerer and not multiclass. I will never turn down advice.

Nhorianscum
2019-09-27, 01:35 AM
So I normally reccomend sorc 7/hex1 over sorc3/hex 2 as a basis under the spell slot system. We get everything we want from lock with 1 level, damage, AC, and most importantly +1 spell known.

Now many folks ask "but why skip EB + AB, it's so good!" Normally I would have to bother actually crunching some sort of napkin math to show that... no really it's not before tier 3 but thankfully we're using spellpoints!

Level 5. Sorc3/Lock2. 6 L1 slots, 21 points. IE 10 EB+ AB rounds for 42-68 damage a pop 46-72ish with empower. We can darkness here but... why would we when we can just hide as an action on hex rounds? Anywho playing ultra efficiently we can pop 10 quickens a day.

Level 5. Pick a sorc any sorc, 32 points. Daddys home and he's got 6 fireballs a day kids with points left over for empower and quiiiickeeeen!

Yadda yadda the sorc does more/day with better BC and buffing. Like. A lot more. If we assume empowered fireball on 3+ targets we get roughly 132 damage while 3rd level empowered Sray + empowered firebolt does 49ish. We're realistically doing more turn 1 and 2 in any given fight.

Sorc 6. We get 4th level slots and a feature nooooow. Sor4/lock2 is... still not at 3rds

Sorc7. 5th level slots, 4th level spells, Sor5/lock2 just got 3rds.

Sorc7+X/Lock1 vs Sorc6+X/Lock2. Sorc7 is ahead by a Wide margin until level 13 where the builds finally intersect. Long story short EB+AB is not named 5th level empowered Sray or MM. At this point 7-1 is doing more on any given turn in every way.

As for origin/race? Dealers choice. Depends on what you want to do that isn't damage. Or if you just want damage take draconic. It's stellar.

TL:DR Edit: I'm focusing on damage as that is the core conceit of lock2/sorc3 and... it just fails to deliver. While the 3/2 split is more efficent sorc ramps so hard in terms of both damage output and raw fuel in tier 2 that 7-1 outshines 6-2 in non spell point play. With points it's a blowout. Lock 2 is just a dead level before tier 3 and we can just... hide on a quicken/hex turn to emulate darkness advantage.