PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed RAW - 3.x - Where Do Wish Created Magic Items Pop?

unseenmage
2019-09-26, 10:38 PM
Serious question, am seeking as RAW an answer as possible.

When one creates a magic item with the Wish spell, where does that item appear?

Automatically attended?
Adjacent?
Within line of sight or line of effect?
Does it have to appear on a solid surface?
Can it appear within another object or surface?
Can remote viewing be used to make it appear far away?
Can it just appear on the other side of the planet as worded?
On another plane or in an extradimensional space?

Could a Craft Contingent Spell be placed on oneself?
An ally?
An... enemy?

unseenmage
2019-09-27, 01:51 PM
I suppose I am also curious as to where you have them appear in your own games.

I imagine they appear in hand for the most part but I've no justification for that.

Biggus
2019-09-27, 02:17 PM
I'm not aware of any official ruling on the subject, but considering you're paying 5000XP for it plus twice the normal XP cost, I'd say it appears wherever you want it to, unless there's something preventing it from appearing there.

Telonius
2019-09-27, 02:24 PM
I don't think there's an answer RAW. The closest similar spells to this effect would be Major and Minor Creation. Minor has a range of 0 feet, meaning it would pop literally adjacent to you somewhere (I'd assume in your hand). Major has a range of Close, meaning it would pop wherever you want it to within Close range. Creating an anvil 25 + 5 ft/2 levels above somebody is (sadly) not possible, since it's still a Conjuration spell and has to be supported by something.

Wish doesn't specify a range. I would think that it would be at least anywhere within Close range, since it's more powerful than Major Creation, but it never spells it out explicitly.

Elves
2019-09-27, 06:34 PM
"You must have line of effect to any target that you cast a spell on or to any space in which you wish (:smallwink:) to create an effect." RCp80

Probably any space you have LOE to is valid for the item to appear in, barring other rules.

Luckmann
2019-09-28, 05:54 AM
I'd say that depends on how you state your wish and how generous the powers that be (genie, DM, Lord Ao in the chambers of Mystra, whatever) are feeling.

If you're really unlucky, your wish for a vorpal sword has some githyanki firestorm berserker/holocaust warrior show up with a silver sword engraved with your name.

unseenmage
2019-09-28, 07:00 AM
"You must have line of effect to any target that you cast a spell on or to any space in which you wish (:smallwink:) to create an effect." RCp80

Probably any space you have LOE to is valid for the item to appear in, barring other rules.
This is probably the best answer. Most RAW too from.what I can tell. Was also how we ruled it.

Is there anything stopping one from wishing cursed necklaces straight onto an enemy neck?
Just giving someone else a cursed ioun stone?

legomaster00156
2019-09-28, 09:55 AM
That would hardly be a game-breaking application of the most powerful and versatile spell in the game.

unseenmage
2019-09-28, 11:46 AM
Makes me wonder though.. Wish can create Wondrous Architecture and Lair Wards too right? Magic resetting traps even?

Doesnt this mean you can put an enemy right into such a thing by conjuring it around them?

Luckmann
2019-09-28, 11:48 AM
This is probably the best answer. Most RAW too from.what I can tell. Was also how we ruled it.

Is there anything stopping one from wishing cursed necklaces straight onto an enemy neck?
Just giving someone else a cursed ioun stone?That would stricly be in the "ask your DM" territory of the spell, but I don't see why not, myself.

unseenmage
2019-09-28, 11:50 AM
That would stricly be in the "ask your DM" territory of the spell, but I don't see why not, myself.

The point of the thread is to hash this out with as much RAW as we can dredge up though. As if we were the GM.

Is there a rule anywhere preventing Minor through True Creation from putting the contact poison created by it directly on the opponent's skin?

As for conjuring stuff around an enemy, I suppose there are force effects and prismatic effects that already do that arent there.