PDA

View Full Version : Barbarian/Priest

goken04
2007-10-15, 02:44 PM
I had a dream last night (a sign I've been thinking of DnD too much) about a character who starts out as a viscious warrior (I'm thinking CN Barbarian) who, in the midst of battle, is saved by some sort of divine miracle (of any variety, from minor healing to a grand intervention) and devotes his life to being a priest (Cleric, CG or NG, prolly) of that deity. Unfortunately, he's a much better fighter than he is a priest, and finds himself more often than not resorting to violence.

My question to you, the forum, is how would you crunch this out? I'm pretty well sold on the barbarian angle as his first two or so levels (Rage is just so perfect for this dood). But beyond that, I'm pretty open. I like the character a lot and have some great ideas to flesh him out, but Just being straight Barbarian 2/Cleric X is kind statistically weak (losing two CL). Plus, we all know Clerics are made to PrC. What would fit well? I'd also love to hear lots of ideas on feats and such. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! As I am just developing a character for w/e next campaign I manage to find myself in, at this point, pretty much any books/sources/races/classes are allowed.

SpikeFightwicky
2007-10-15, 02:46 PM
You could always try the divine champion from Complete Divine. Last I checked, it turns regular classes into holy warriors of a certain cause/deity.

goken04
2007-10-15, 07:01 PM
No, I think you mean Divine Crusader, and that's not quite what I'm looking for.

Azerian Kelimon
2007-10-15, 07:17 PM
Favored soul? It sounds like nice, you were chosen and chose to devote yourself to a deity. That, or cleric. Everything else is gonna gimp you badly. And you can always use a Ioun stone and a bead of karma for getting to CL 20.

Reel On, Love
2007-10-15, 07:23 PM
Why not just play a Barbarian, and have him be a priest? Not all priests are clerics. Not all priests even casts divine spells. In fact, most of'em are probably Experts. Just keep preachin' and takin' those Barb levels.

goken04
2007-10-15, 07:36 PM
Why not just play a Barbarian, and have him be a priest? Not all priests are clerics. Not all priests even casts divine spells. In fact, most of'em are probably Experts. Just keep preachin' and takin' those Barb levels.

Well, the basic premise is that he tries to avoid his previous ways of war by becoming a cleric and cast spells to still fight the good fight. His struggle is that he often ends up resorting to just using spells to help him fight and slipping into a rage. The irony is that (unbeknown to the character) his deity didn't create him to simply be one of a reposed priest, but more of a holy warrior.

His struggle is trying to be what he thinks he SHOULD be as a Good individual who channels his deity's power (laid back, peaceful, non-violent) vs. who was created to be (a skilled warrior, given divine spells to help him fulfill that role). Hence the cross-class to Cleric.

I thought of Favored Soul, but they're kind of weak when compared to a cleric. Turn Undead will be helpful for any of the myriad of Divine feats (I just love Divine Vigor, for example).

I think I might Cross-Class into Divine Oracle, if for no other reason than it gives full spell-casting and some handy abilities. Warpriest and (I'm not near my books, so I can't remember the name of the PrC in CC that is for champions of Heironeous/Hextor) both fit pretty well flavor-wise, but I'd lose even more caster levels. There's a PrC in BoED that is sort of a Barbarian/Paladin hybrid, but it doesn't give spellcasting. Such a sticky situation!

Stormcrow
2007-10-15, 07:37 PM
Play a Barbarian/Shaman or Barbarian/Spirit Shaman

Reel On, Love
2007-10-15, 08:39 PM
Well, the basic premise is that he tries to avoid his previous ways of war by becoming a cleric and cast spells to still fight the good fight. His struggle is that he often ends up resorting to just using spells to help him fight and slipping into a rage. The irony is that (unbeknown to the character) his deity didn't create him to simply be one of a reposed priest, but more of a holy warrior.
"Becoming a cleric" doesn't necessarily just happen, but if you decide that the god grants him spells, OK. In that case, why not just start him off as a cleric with the War domain or something, and say that his conversion happened before his PC class level?

His struggle is trying to be what he thinks he SHOULD be as a Good individual who channels his deity's power (laid back, peaceful, non-violent) vs. who was created to be (a skilled warrior, given divine spells to help him fulfill that role). Hence the cross-class to Cleric.

I thought of Favored Soul, but they're kind of weak when compared to a cleric. Turn Undead will be helpful for any of the myriad of Divine feats (I just love Divine Vigor, for example).
You can eventually get Turn Undead by taking a prestige class like Knight of the Raven (from Expedition to Castle Raveloft) . Getting use out of Divine feats requires a high CHA your cleric might not have anyway (STR, some DEX, CON, WIS...), whereas the Favored Soul will at least have the high Charisma. Take healing spells and buff spells, and just don't use anything that forces saves on enemies--as a Favored Soul you can do that just fine. Barbarian 1/Favored Soul X/Prestige Classes Y kind of hurts--you're a whole spell level behind a pure cleric, since FSes get new spells later, like sorcs--but it's definitely playable.
For a little cheese, take the Spirit Lion Totem substitution feature in the Complete Champion to get Pounce instead of Fast Movement.
I'd also suggest the Whirling Frenzy variant over the regular rage ability.

I think I might Cross-Class into Divine Oracle, if for no other reason than it gives full spell-casting and some handy abilities. Warpriest and (I'm not near my books, so I can't remember the name of the PrC in CC that is for champions of Heironeous/Hextor) both fit pretty well flavor-wise, but I'd lose even more caster levels. There's a PrC in BoED that is sort of a Barbarian/Paladin hybrid, but it doesn't give spellcasting. Such a sticky situation!
Actually, the Champion of Gwynharwyf (BoED Barbarian PrC) DOES get divine spellcasting--it's not "real" casting, in that there's four levels of it and it has its own spell list and such, but it's there.
Divine Oracle is a bad move, since it has 1/2 BAB--that doesn't suit a fighting cleric (especially one who's losing caster levels, getting fewer Divine Powers and getting them later), and the flavor doesn't fit, either.

BardicDuelist
2007-10-15, 09:07 PM
Here's an idea: go Archivist. It will let you get some of the better spells at lower levels (thanks paladins), so help to avoid multiclass penalities, and be a total opposite of barbarian!

Now in all seriousness, unless you are starting at level one and want these events to happen during the campaign, I would just start off as a cleric (or crusader). Now you don't have to worry about build problems and waiting to be the character you want.

You know, crusader might be a good choice either way... Losing maneuvers is slightly better than losing spells. You also lose less HP, and no skills or BAB.
Also, some of the class features seem to fit really well (look at the first level).

RTGoodman
2007-10-15, 09:08 PM
It may not be the best thing ever, but losing 2 CL and just sticking with Cleric (or some Cleric-y PrC) could be fine. I mean, I think you could still get 9th level spells, and you can play up your struggle for being peaceful by grabbing a merciful weapon (more damage, but it's non-lethal). If he really gets mad, he'll just pull out a non-merciful weapon, cast some buffs (Righteous Might, Divine Power, whatever you want), then rage and go for the kill.

Reel On, Love
2007-10-15, 09:08 PM
Here's an idea: go Archivist. It will let you get some of the better spells at lower levels (thanks paladins), so help to avoid multiclass penalities, and be a total opposite of barbarian!
Archivist isn't a good combo with barbarian, and really doesn't fit what he wants at all.

BardicDuelist
2007-10-15, 09:09 PM
Archivist isn't a good combo with barbarian, and really doesn't fit what he wants at all.

I was joking.

goken04
2007-10-15, 09:44 PM
If he really gets mad, he'll just pull out a non-merciful weapon, cast some buffs (Righteous Might, Divine Power, whatever you want), then rage and go for the kill.

That's pretty much exactly what I'm going for. In fact, I had a very similar idea: that he would maybe use a guisarme (and armor spikes) for battle field control while he's chilling out and casting spells. Then, when he snaps, he drops the guisarme and whips out his great axe for MUCH killing. Also, the PrC from CC that I was thinking of was Ordained Champion. Very good flavor-wise, but I'd lose an additional two CLs. Idk if the abilities are worth that, though they are good (channelling a spell, mmm, yes please).

Also, I'm thinking Divine Metamagic + Quicken Spell for full attacks. Yes, please.

RTGoodman
2007-10-16, 12:36 AM
Also, the PrC from CC that I was thinking of was Ordained Champion. Very good flavor-wise, but I'd lose an additional two CLs. Idk if the abilities are worth that, though they are good (channelling a spell, mmm, yes please).

Looking back over Ordained Champion, I wondered for a minute why I'd never wanted play one - they sound really cool, fluff-wise, and they get a few cool abilities; specifically, channeling spells and burning Turn attempts to get DR or bonuses to damage.

And then I realize that, beginning at 1st level, you lose access to Spontaneous Casting of healing spells. Sure, you can now spontaneously cast spells from the War domain, but to me, at least, that sounds like one of the worst things a cleric could do. Why not just give Ordained Champions the Domain Spontaneity (War) feat for free, instead of forcing them to either prepare every single healing spell they think they'd need for the day, or using wands/scrolls/etc. for all their healing powers?

Reel On, Love
2007-10-16, 12:57 AM
Looking back over Ordained Champion, I wondered for a minute why I'd never wanted play one - they sound really cool, fluff-wise, and they get a few cool abilities; specifically, channeling spells and burning Turn attempts to get DR or bonuses to damage.
Swift-action spontaneous Divine Powers replace DMM(Persistent) Divine Power. They make great TWFers with a Swordsage dip for Shadow Blade. Enter as a Cloistered Cleric with Knowledge Devotion... take the Holy Warrior reserve feat when you can... hoo-rah.

And then I realize that, beginning at 1st level, you lose access to Spontaneous Casting of healing spells. Sure, you can now spontaneously cast spells from the War domain, but to me, at least, that sounds like one of the worst things a cleric could do. Why not just give Ordained Champions the Domain Spontaneity (War) feat for free, instead of forcing them to either prepare every single healing spell they think they'd need for the day, or using wands/scrolls/etc. for all their healing powers?
Meh, in-combat healing's a sucker's game most of the time anyway, except for Heal, which clerics can't spontacast anyway. Wands of Lesser Vigor.

These guys aren't supposed to be healers, they're supposed to be *warriors*.