PDA

View Full Version : Optimization How to Teenage Mutant Ninja Tortle?

Wasp
2019-09-27, 05:35 AM
Hi everyone?

Just something silly for the weekend: How would you build a Tortle Character that could be described as a (Teenage Mutant) Ninja Tortle (similar but distinct from a popular franchise)? Standard array or point buy.

I was thinking Tortle Kensai - maybe with a touch of Barbarian for the sometimes more chaotic nature?

Grey Watcher
2019-09-27, 06:07 AM
You kinda hit the nail on the head there, though you might be able to make an argument for Shadow Monk (if you want to go with the more overtly magical nature of D&D for your "Ninja, vanish!") or maybe even Open Palm, based on the more philosophical end of Splinter's teachings. Though, realistically, the Kensai's heavier focus on combat probably models what we actually see best.

I'd only use a Barbarian dip for Raphael. Other possible dips include: Fighter (Battlemaster, Banneret, or maybe Samurai) or Paladin (Devotion) for Leonardo; Rogue (Inquisitive), Fighter (Gunslinger), or Artificer (the turret one?) for Donatello; and Bard (Valor or Swords) for Michelangelo.

nickl_2000
2019-09-27, 06:50 AM
Hi everyone?

Just something silly for the weekend: How would you build a Tortle Character that could be described as a (Teenage Mutant) Ninja Tortle (similar but distinct from a popular franchise)? Standard array or point buy.

I was thinking Tortle Kensai - maybe with a touch of Barbarian for the sometimes more chaotic nature?

You kinda hit the nail on the head there, though you might be able to make an argument for Shadow Monk (if you want to go with the more overtly magical nature of D&D for your "Ninja, vanish!") or maybe even Open Palm, based on the more philosophical end of Splinter's teachings. Though, realistically, the Kensai's heavier focus on combat probably models what we actually see best.

I'd only use a Barbarian dip for Raphael. Other possible dips include: Fighter (Battlemaster, Banneret, or maybe Samurai) or Paladin (Devotion) for Leonardo; Rogue (Inquisitive), Fighter (Gunslinger), or Artificer (the turret one?) for Donatello; and Bard (Valor or Swords) for Michelangelo.

Between the two of you, you have a lot taken care of here.

A Kensei Monk wielding a rapier with 2 levels into Rogue (for expertise in Stealth) may be perfect. As for the exact focus, it would depend on which turtle you want to be though. The focus of each turtle is extremely different.

Grey Watcher
2019-09-27, 07:20 AM
Between the two of you, you have a lot taken care of here.

A Kensei Monk wielding a rapier with 2 levels into Rogue (for expertise in Stealth) may be perfect. As for the exact focus, it would depend on which turtle you want to be though. The focus of each turtle is extremely different.

Rapier? Nah, they all two-weapon fight: Leo has some kind of swords (longsword if you go Kensei, shortsword otherwise), Raph has daggers, Donny a quarterstaff, and Mikey reskinned clubs. (If you dip Rogue, be aware of the restrictions on Sneak Attack.)

nickl_2000
2019-09-27, 07:27 AM
Rapier? Nah, they all two-weapon fight: Leo has some kind of swords (longsword if you go Kensei, shortsword otherwise), Raph has daggers, Donny a quarterstaff, and Mikey reskinned clubs. (If you dip Rogue, be aware of the restrictions on Sneak Attack.)

The 2 levels of rogue for bonus action better movement and expertise in stealth was why I suggested rapier (due to sneak attack restrictions). However, it does make sense to go dual wield shortsword for Leo if you dip rogue. Donny and Mikey are much harder to get that sneak attack damage.

Wasp
2019-09-27, 07:48 AM
I mean we could go for four builds. Or just go with Raphael (based on my original idea :smallbiggrin: )

Grey Watcher
2019-09-27, 08:02 AM
The 2 levels of rogue for bonus action better movement and expertise in stealth was why I suggested rapier (due to sneak attack restrictions). However, it does make sense to go dual wield shortsword for Leo if you dip rogue. Donny and Mikey are much harder to get that sneak attack damage.

You get most of Cunning Action from Step of the Wind (albeit not unlimited usage). Not hiding but "Turtles fight with honor!" (for some reason), which is to say, they don't do the Rogue thing of continuously popping in and out of hiding and instead fight openly once they decide or are forced to fight.

If Unearthed Arcana is available, the Stealthy skill feat is another route to Stealth expertise.

The more I think about it, the more I like Kensei/Samurai for Leo. He defaults to two weapon fighting, but can stow one sword (one free object interaction per turn), use his Samurai Fighting Spirit for free advantage (bonus action), and attack two-handed via the Versatile property of his longsword (action). For when he really wants to go for one good swing rather than more smaller ones (yeah, not having those Sneak Attack dice if he crits is disappointing, but it's a game of tradeoffs.)

Grey Watcher
2019-09-27, 10:06 AM
I mean we could go for four builds. Or just go with Raphael (based on my original idea :smallbiggrin: )

For Raph, I wouldn't dip more than 2 levels into Barbarian. The only primal path that fits thematically is Berserker and he's already got his off hand attack and Flurry of Blows for "attack with bonus action". So Rage and Reckless Attack are enough.

I'll have to think a lot more about what dips might be good for the other two.

(Though I will note that you don't have to dip at all and could argue the differences are mostly just non-mechanical personality traits and maybe a different skill proficiency here and there.)

nickl_2000
2019-09-27, 10:08 AM
For Raph, I wouldn't dip more than 2 levels into Barbarian. The only primal path that fits thematically is Berserker and he's already got his off hand attack and Flurry of Blows for "attack with bonus action". So Rage and Reckless Attack are enough.

I'll have to think a lot more about what dips might be good for the other two.

(Though I will note that you don't have to dip at all and could argue the differences are mostly just non-mechanical personality traits and maybe a different skill proficiency here and there.)

Raph wouldn't do horribly with 3 levels into Fighter for battlemaster. One of his moves is to catch and disarm with the Sais, which is most easily replicated with disarming strike from battlemaster.

Grey Watcher
2019-09-27, 10:16 AM
Raph wouldn't do horribly with 3 levels into Fighter for battlemaster. One of his moves is to catch and disarm with the Sais, which is most easily replicated with disarming strike from battlemaster.

That, or the Martial Adept feat. Of course, any dual-wielder would love a chance to pick up the matching Fighting Style as well, so maybe it's worth it, even if I have an irrational feeling that two different dips is a little much.

nickl_2000
2019-09-27, 10:29 AM
That, or the Martial Adept feat. Of course, any dual-wielder would love a chance to pick up the matching Fighting Style as well, so maybe it's worth it, even if I have an irrational feeling that two different dips is a little much.

So, then it becomes an optimization question verses a flavor question. Realistically you don't need monk here to make Raf. Dual Wielding Fighter/Barbarian would be a pretty darn effective character as a tortle (strength based, tortle AC, bonus action filled in already). However, you don't get the martial arts and monk feel that TMNT has.

Segev
2019-09-27, 10:35 AM
Any of the dual-wielding ones, as long as their weapons are monk weapons, can get a better effect than TWF from the Monk's bonus action martial arts attack. Especially with the ability to spend a ki point for two attacks with a monk weapon. Leonardo's actually the odd one out, here, since dual katanas isn't a "monk weapon." But Kensai might help with that; I forget what that subclass does, other than "something with weapons."

Grey Watcher
2019-09-27, 10:57 AM
Any of the dual-wielding ones, as long as their weapons are monk weapons, can get a better effect than TWF from the Monk's bonus action martial arts attack. Especially with the ability to spend a ki point for two attacks with a monk weapon. Leonardo's actually the odd one out, here, since dual katanas isn't a "monk weapon." But Kensai might help with that; I forget what that subclass does, other than "something with weapons."

A Kensei picks a weapon (well, two, a melee and a ranged, and later a third) to specialize in and, among other things, treats it as a monk weapon (some restrictions on what you can pick, including that it can't be a Heavy weapon). Hence why longsword-Leo has to be Kensei, specifically.

On Donatello: Artificer 3 (Artillerist) is indeed the dip to use, I think. Especially with all the gadgets his cartoon incarnations keep coming up with. Nothing really stand out after Level 3, though. He obviously wants Polearm Master and some martial maneuvers to help with battlefield control.

For Michelangelo: Upon further consideration, Bard just has too many off-brand abilities. I actually think, as counterintuitive as it sounds, straight Monk. In a lot of his cartoon incarnations, he's implied to be more talented at ninjitsu than the rest, with them keeping pace with him largely by working harder. In video games, he's often the fastest (when there's a difference at all, at any rate), so being a few levels ahead of the others in Monk would mean he's (usually) got a higher speed, and only he and possibly Raph (if Raph only does Barb 2) will ever get the full +30. Now, as to reflecting his happy-go-lucky nature, I say reskin Drunken Master for him. It works SO WELL.

GlenSmash!
2019-09-27, 11:24 AM
Any of the dual-wielding ones, as long as their weapons are monk weapons, can get a better effect than TWF from the Monk's bonus action martial arts attack. Especially with the ability to spend a ki point for two attacks with a monk weapon."

Yep. Thematically I'd have a TMNT character holding both weapons, but practically never use TWF for a bonus action attack. Its more effective and fun to bonus action kick and headbutt.

Grey Watcher
2019-09-27, 01:20 PM
Yep. Thematically I'd have a TMNT character holding both weapons, but practically never use TWF for a bonus action attack. Its more effective and fun to bonus action kick and headbutt.

Everyone but Donatello should get Dual-Wielder so they get +1 AC, if nothing else. Most Battle Master/Martial Adept Maneuvers only proc with weapons, so an off hand weapon is handy if you specifically want another shot at, for example, Disarming Strike.

That's a lot of feats, so good luck getting all your ASIs in, but there are options that make the second weapon more than cosmetic.